Need help with light distance issues

AvB

Hi there.  So I am totally new to cannabis planting.  Am trying to grow some CBD plants to make into oil.  My issue is that I can not even get my seeds to properly germinate and get strong.  I am using a 50Watt Fluorescent light situated about 40cm above my trays. I am planting in Cocopete/ Perlite medium an I am using feminized seeds which I ordered online.  Only planted 2 at first to check.  The first issue I had was the seedling having helmet head - After some TLC that plant recovered.  The second seed that sprouted first grew about 2 cm before it started bending.  I supported it for now but it is still very fragile.  They are about a week old now.  Have been on many sites looking for answers, most sites saying that it is light issues. Would appreciate it if someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanx

Welcome @AvB! 😄

You have come to the right place. While a 50W CFL light is really not ideal for growing cannabis, especially once your plants get bigger you will really want to consider a better light or grow them outdoors.

It does happen from time to time where the plant keeps the seed shell on for a bit, I often try help the seedling out by carefully removing it. Once again it is now uncommon for seedlings to be a bit flimsy and fragile and require support for a short period of time - once they get bigger the plant will be able to support itself again and no further support will be required. So give the plant a few days and take it from there.

Feel free to post some pictures and if you have any more questions, ask! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, AvB said:

The first issue I had was the seedling having helmet head - After some TLC that plant recovered.  The second seed that sprouted first grew about 2 cm before it started bending.  I supported it for now but it is still very fragile.  They are about a week old now. 

Helmet heads are not an issue, usually the plant pushes the seed shell off of itself as it starts growing. 

The second issue sounds a bit more serious and sounds like damping off disease, which is very common with seedlings and overwatering. There is no cure for that and the plant will die. However, I would need to see pics of it to make sure though... 

• Like 2