SoG or SCROG?

trichomechaser

So I've been hoarding a number of genetics recently and I currently have 7 seeds 2 weeks from seed. I was planning on running a 4 plant SCROG in a 4x4, but today it's dawned on me that I may want to run more of these genetics I have for the variety. I realize SCROG should give me the best yield, but I'm thinking of perhaps trying to run 12 or 16 plants in the 4x4 in 10L pots. The idea would be to give them about 4 weeks of veg and to try train / supercrop as needed to try and still create as even canopy as possible , trying to emulate a scrog canopy but with a number of plants. 

The primary reason for this is just because I do want to run all the genetics I have, but not take the 2 years I'd need to get through them when running a 4 plant scrog - as there's some other genetics I want to run.

I've not run SCROG or SoG before, so hoping for some input, perhaps from someone who has tried both approaches. What are the risks in such a SoG approach? If genetic costs aren't an issue.

I take it that it is a 1.2mx1.2m area? I found that it got a bit crowded in my tent. I did 5 plants in that area with a 5 week veg. What medium will you be using? The foto below is 2 weeks into flower. There is 3 in the back and 2 in the front. They were all sativa dominant hybrids with lots of stretch. What genetics are you running? 3e2efe6878ab2b7e6a015045379ee1d3.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You could fit them all in on a shorter veg. Keep pots tight during that veg to force girls to grow up and not outwards, but then you would want to clean up a good third even more and just pay attention to main colas and a few arms below. I did 16 like this in a 1mx1m in 20cm pot. It's tight!

Not massive yield, but numbers and some beautiful bud

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Go for a christmas tree shape plant. Works out better for the SOG right?

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

That's right and depending on the spacing will give you an idea of how far up you need to clean. The tighter, you'll clean higher.
Some strains just work really well in SOG. My NL branches like a crazy thing. In a sea of green I can still manage to keep most her arms almost all the way down, just nicely cleaned up giving plenty tops per pot.. they always competing.

• Like 1

That's right and depending on the spacing will give you an idea of how far up you need to clean. The tighter, you'll clean higher.
Some strains just work really well in SOG. My NL branches like a crazy thing. In a sea of green I can still manage to keep most her arms almost all the way down, just nicely cleaned up giving plenty tops per pot.. they always competing.

For sure brother. My Amnesia Haze and Vanilla Kush girls make good strains for SOG. I don't much prefer the Scrog method as it limits you to movement of the plants. Probably works good if you don't ever want to move them during flowering but I constantly move mine around, probably why my back feels old like a fucker

• Like 1

I hear you on the back bro lol!

I move my my girls around a lot too and also don't like the stationery restrictions of SCROG (works like a beast tho!)

LoL carrying 24L up stairs also doesn't help my short ass statue

11 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:

I take it that it is a 1.2mx1.2m area? I found that it got a bit crowded in my tent. I did 5 plants in that area with a 5 week veg. What medium will you be using? The foto below is 2 weeks into flower. There is 3 in the back and 2 in the front. They were all sativa dominant hybrids with lots of stretch. What genetics are you running? 3e2efe6878ab2b7e6a015045379ee1d3.jpg

Thanks!

Yeah it will be in a 1.2x1.2m

I've currently got 7 plants vegging at the moment (2x Exotic Genetics 'Kimbo Kush' regs, 2x Humboldt 'OGKZ', 1x DNA 'Triple Scoop', 1x Ripper 'Chempie', 1x TH-Seeds 'Strawberry Glue')

My idea was to run the Kimbo Kush regs in the hopes of a male, and crossing the Kimbo with one of the OGKZ in my second tent, while I use the other 4 or 5 for a scrog in the main 1.2x1.2

It's very possible though, that I find myself with 7 females. Was just thinking that since I have so many other genetics I need to run, I should probably just add a few more and go with SoG. But perhaps scrogging is a better option.

I'll be vegging for about 4-5 weeks, as I have some finishing up in the flowering tent at the moment (should be done in about 4 weeks)

I have plenty of genetics aswell but an waiting for the outdoor season as the Sapphire Scout that I want to run is selected for outdoor. I am also waiting for my auto run to finish before I can start with indoor. I have a couple of Hindu Kush regulars also hoping for a male. Then I want to run Sour Sorbet indoor. One plant in a 1.2x1.2 space just to see what happens. But that will probably take me to the end of the year. Time is a problem.