Nirvana AK48 & White Rhino - First grow

Duracell

This table from Woody is a good go to reference

(http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?86654-EC-ph-amp-water-levels-What-they-tell-you-and-how-to-react).

[th]Water level[/th]

[th]EC[/th]

[th]PH[/th]

[th]Solution[/th]

Static

Static

Static

Plant not feeding/drinking, change EC, check meters. Usually, lowering the EC a little should get the plant feeding again

Static

Static

Rising

Ph buffers probably raising ph. This is usual. Having a static water level is not though, so again, a slight reduction in EC or a res change should resolve this.

Static

Static

Falling

Usual cause of this is when media has been rinsed at a lower ph than you require.

The other possibility is that too much CO2 has been pumped into the water. See Note 1.

Change your res and look at the volume of air pumped plus look at your air source.

Static

Rising

Static

Plant is leeching nutrition, raise EC. Note 2

Static

Rising

Rising

Plant leeching nutrition, Raise EC. An unusual state. The rising ph is probably caused by what nutrient leeching back. 

If these are alkaline, it will lead to the rise in ph. Could also be ph buffers.

Static

Rising

Falling

As above but be aware of the acid rain effect mentioned in note 1. Res change, plus increase in EC.

Static

Falling

Static

Plant eating but not drinking. Not ideal. Lower EC or res change

Static

Falling

Rising

As above but rising ph is a better sign. Lower EC slightly or res change.

Static

Falling

Falling

Falling ph along with falling EC but no drop in water level suggests a res change. Could also be an acid rain effect as per note 1. Depending on other symptoms, lowering EC after res change.

Falling

Static

Static

Perfect conditions. EC and ph are at the correct level.

Falling

Static

Rising

Normal state most people encounter. Nothing to worry about, carry on doing what you are doing unless other plant symptoms.

Falling

Static

Falling

Res change plus a change of EC. Lower EC if over 1.4, raise EC if lower than 1.0

Falling

Rising

Static

Plant is drinking more than eating, lower EC.

Falling

Rising

Rising

Plant is drinking more than eating, lower EC

Falling

Rising

Falling

Plant is drinking more than eating, lower EC. Also, res change due to possible acid rain problem.

Falling

Falling

Static

Hungry plant, raise EC. Very good situation to be in. Nute buffers are working and plant is taking a balance of nutrients.

Falling

Falling

Rising

Almost as above, usually considered almost perfect, raise EC slightly.

Falling

Falling

Falling

Res change. Potential acid rain issue but plant is still eating & drinking. Raise EC on new res

Note 1.

When pumping air into a nutrient solution in order to add Dissolved Oxygen, not only oxygen is present, CO2 is also pumped in. If you live near a busy road, this may be higher than normal, so you may get a dropping ph quite often. I have noticed most of the growers who suffer from a falling ph in DWC tend to live in large cities. This may not be a link but it could be.

When CO2 is added to water, it makes it more acidic. This is the precise process which causes acid rain, pollution from power stations etc pouring CO2 into the air, this mixes with the water vapour in clouds causing acid rain.

Note 2.

Most people assume that with a rising EC, it is the plants way of saying, I dont want more food, here, have some back.

What is actually happening is this.

Plants roots take in water/nutrients through a process called Osmosis. Effectively, if you think in terms of the roots having their own internal EC.

The osmosis process will always try to balance out the EC's, taking from the higher side of the barrier and giving to the lower part.

So if the EC of the nutrient solution is higher than the "internal EC", then food & water will flow from the solution to the roots, this is the normal process.

If however, the EC of the solution is higher than the "internal EC", then the balancing will work the other way and nutrition will be leeched from the roots to the solution. 

A res change or increase in EC should resolve depending on the other factors such as ph and water levels.

Note 3.

Nutrients flow around a well hydrated plant much more effectively and faster than one which isnt as well hydrated.

How can growers use this?

By feeding at lower levels, the plant needs to take on more water in order to get the nutrition it requires.

So by feeding at moderate levels, this forces the plant to drink more.

By drinking more, it is better hydrated, because it is better hydrated, it needs more food, making it eat more.

So feed at moderate levels rather than overly aggressive levels.

The method of pushing the EC until you see signs of nute burn is damaging to the plants and although many growers use this method, I am not a fan though your plants are not mine!

Thanks narnia, this is awesome info.

Before I start with my analysis based on this info, I want to run EC vs PPM by you. Apparently there are different conversion  factors to get from the one to the other, would it be a safe approximation to take EC 1 as equivalent to 500ppm and then work from there according to your plants?

I don't think I have a CO2 (acid rain) problem, my pumps are in the open tent in a 3 x 3m room that gets ventilated twice a day far from any busy streets or other pollution. I can't easily permanently ventilate the entire room due to close proximity to neighbors and street.

AK48: Falling(slowly) Static Falling.

As my nutes are currently at around 390ppm I think more nutes to get it to 500-700ppm (EC 1-1.4) - Note 2.

WR: Falling Falling Falling.

Nute levels at 325ppm, so I think they need more nutes too to get EC up - Note 2.

I dissolved some nutes and added to the tanks to raise both with appr. 100ppm as a stopgap and test. Will do a total res change again over the weekend.

Thanks for the help narnia. I will take pics over weekend too - some nice progress since previous pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EC vs PPM is such a shit show. Sadly one just cannot assume x500 or x700 scale, with much confidence, obviously depending on the source. Frustrating.

In general, yes, one can go on x500 conversion scale as this is widely used in USA, and therefore likely what we'll mostly see online, BUT x700 is prevalent too, so consider the source of the info. and try verify, is how I approach. A ~30% swing is pretty intense and not to be trifled with IMO. All you can verify 100%  is what scale your meter/pen uses (if not an EC meter), that's the only concrete conversion without verification.

The acid rain issue could also occur by sheer volume of air pumped into res. but agreed shouldn't be an issue unless there is a real high volume of air pumped into res, nightime plants will emit CO2 which will increase density.  

Re: Note 2 

Be wary increasing EC/PPM too high too soon. It's well tempting. Sometimes lower levels are better. Bigger plants will need more food than what your seedlings have been getting, but it's more beneficial to stay on the lower end as girls *should* drink more and thereby grow faster. 

i.e. EC of 1.4 is high af for seedlings and small plants. As you've seen in your grow when res. has been dialed in, good growth with weaker solution. I'm not sure on a comparative point for osmosis point relative to plant size, but obviously seedling strength isn't going to cut it deeper into veg.

As always keep an eye out for overfert signs as/if you increase solution strength, and consider all factors - such as environmental issues decreasing transpiration rates, etc. etc. - when referencing Woody's table, or anything really. 

You're welcome, glad to give some more resources.

P.I.F. :-rastadance

A little something I learnt in the past, especially if growing DWC. Always rather refer to the ppm reading.

If your pen reads both, you will notice checking reading that the EC reading will bounce around a lot, while the PPM reading will give quite a stable reading. This is caused by the air ration of the water (bubbles) and the EC could possibly drive you crazy. 

I follow the Hanna scale as for converting EC to PPM (ppmx2 =ec...)

:-peace .

Screenshot_2016-11-06-07-12-41.thumb.png.fecacbcfcf47c7e1f7e28d419b1d174c.png

@Jland eish, forgot about Eutech x640 scale. If everyone would just use the same scale the world would be a happier place. x500 or whichever.

Re: pens, they function exactly the same way. So perhaps you're getting more stable readings on PPM/TDS vs EC due to higher resolution, or just different brand/type pens, rather than EC vs PPM. All TDS/PPM meters get an EC reading and convert as per their scale for conversion.

PS: your girls are fattening up nicely :-blazed

Ahoys Narina, very true! It would make life much simpler, couldn't agree more. 

This is something that drove me dilly :-hairpull when I first started growing and even more so with DWC (cause you checking all the time), but once you got it all tuned in its 'A' for away :-trip

I feed according to my EC reading but will always check PPM before she gets her drink. It will vary anywhere between 0.050+- Above or below EC reading.

This thread has inspired me to dust off the old bucket. Got some new gear arriving and sure she'll find a happy spot in the corner ;).

Appreciate the complement Narina :-gthumb they'll be at there peak next week :-peace

Just a quick pic with my cell of the progress

ae1581532b7e95c14b69f206dfa83f5d.jpg

WR doing well, AK48 struggling a bit.

But that's the nature of learning.

Having this forum to get feedback, speeds up the learning process though.

Still on the trail of my PH problem, time will tell.

Ahoys Duracell.  The ladies come back nicely, looking awesome!

What are you feeding the AK48, same as the rhino?

All my AK48 that I have grown are very light feeders, they squeal at the site of to much nutes and sensitive to too much nitrogen.

There leaves will twist or you'll start noticing clawing of the tips ( or random leaf fingers) and slow growth.. Noticed a few tips in the pic.

I only feed mine a max of 2/3 of what the should be getting.

Just what I have experienced, not sure it will be of much help but looking good bro :-gthumb:-peace

Thanks Jland, still playing with nute concentration to try and solve my dropping PH problem. Can you remember what ppm you fed your AK48s?

Except for having to correct PH daily, the WRs are doing great and drinking well. The AK48s aren't drinking as much, but they are smaller than the WRs.

993f39342799b62cdb7f712c3fd6b566.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that I need more lights, but the budget isn't going to allow that for this grow.

b7aa18237c3e9823c41e9bed7c4e7ddf.jpg

Manifolding on the WRs turned out very satisfactory.

Trying to decide when to change to 12/12 with the big difference in size between the plants. My single 400W HID isn't going to support any huge plants so I think I'll give the WRs another week or two in veg and then go to 12/12, focus on getting a good harvest from the WRs and salvage what I can from the AK48.

Practice makes perfect!

The next grow will be Blackjack from Nirvana.

b7260539b0e8ba2cf0472bae43c087a9.jpg

Another one of the kids, Chica, showing her support.

Ahoys Duracell. Sorry bro been offline for a wee bit..

During veg I had them on about 300ppm/400ppm (excluding water reading, out my tap its 130ppm+- ), I would try and pump the a bit more and they would start curling. During flower I kept it at a 500ppm, max feed around week 5 and 6 was 600ppm and even then the tips showed dissatisfaction with that.

Nowadays I just keep bit really light with her until she shows some needs. Growth rate and harvest has increased.

I love the strain!

See you into Nirvana :-gthumb I have not had any probs with any of there beans. Aurora is a beautiful plant to grow and yields are wow but not a fan of the smoke. The Northern light has some of the densest, frostiest bud I have ever grown and the bud to leaf ratio is awesome!!

I want Papaya, swiss cheese and raspberry cough next.

One thing I have learnt is you never stop learning with these babies.

:-peace

Completely annihilated the piggy bank and got another 400W HID

73665644431029f63a5694a63fa79c88.jpg

Should make life easier with the big size difference between plants and increase harvest. Screwed the HPS bulbs in today, going to do a res change tomorrow and switch to 12/12 - Really need to get to enjoying the fruits of my labour!

To help with good air circulation, I stuck two 220V computer fans into my air inlet ducts.

a24918d4a18c19ede3be5f4db3703b03.jpg

Still battling with falling PH, but I'm taking daily PH and PPM readings and trying to establish a pattern.

a51cabe9ceb361425f4d63d9620e1eb6.jpg

"Plants go in the ground human, not in boxes filled with water. "

• 2 weeks later...

Looking excellent! There's learning with every new venture. I must say with my first grow (basic) going I can atestatment to what you say about learning routine when micro managing everything. Glad to see everyone bounced back beautifully and keep to see your harvest! 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things are coming along nicely. Day 29 of flowering, there is a definite difference between my two WR girls - one is twice as tall as the other. Got them more or less happy at 500-550ppm and the AK48 at 450-500ppm with a PH 5.5-6.2.

530ca3c583840c6f99860823c5eabe96.jpg

Started the dehumidifier yesterday to get the humidity to between 40-60% with the AC running fulltime. Temperatures range from 18deg in dark cycle to 26deg in light period.

bbd7aff7cf46a224aae16fa33b1b7cda.jpg

663c49f5acbed3df1bb481db7cc0cf91.jpg

5ce18ae8af0d073cc7d35dc64630d7da.jpg

4c6fe1b7589bd97b524f2d216da1b99e.jpg