Scientists discover the ancient birthplace of marijuana

Chris Jay

This is a very interesting recently published article below, with links to scientific reviews. From a layman, farmer, promoter, I think I have struck gold with Durban Poison. Whoever I sent beans to recently via 420sa, you sitting with gold to and hope they grow. Kicks heels.

Scientists finally have an answer to that question — and the evolution of modern-day cannabis and how it diverged from its very close relative hemp is even wilder than you might think.

New research published Friday in the journal Science Advances used genetics to trace the ancient birthplace of Cannabis sativa, from which we harvest pot today.

The cultivation of marijuana has much longer roots than we previously understood, according to the study — including evidence that our cultivation of pot may have led to the extinction of pure, wild, ancient strains of cannabis.

Cannabis “is one of the first cultivated crop species,” Luca Fumagalli, a co-author on the study from the University of Lausanne’s Laboratory for Conservation Biology, tells Inverse. Source

" The origin of cultivated or domesticated cannabis can be traced to East Asia, including parts of modern-day China. The finding challenges previous research stating that cultivated cannabis originated in Central Asia. "

"In addition, McKernan et al. found that reads from these genes and pseudogene copies may be mismapped if many pseudogene copies of THCAS and CBDAS were not assembled in a reference genome because the DNA sequences for most of these copies are more than 90% similar with each other. "

• Like 1