New grow questions

Rob189

Hey guys

Im going to be starting my “first” grow in the next week or so. Going to be an indoor grow with 2x 150w mh over her. 

i just have a few questions:

1) whats a nice, easy soil mix? I made an amazing soil mix 10 years ago, but cannot remember what i used (potting soil, coco, vermiculite and bonemeal i think)

2) fertilisers...is there a thread somewhere that can explain exactly when to use what, and what quantities and for how long? Saw on a youtube vid today some talking about how you want your leaves to turn yellow just before changing to flower? 

3) veg/flower transistion...whats the best way? The seeds ive order are Feminised, non-auto. Im planning on 6500k veg and 3000k flower (but it will probably be 3500k depending on globe availability) 

4) Pot size...10L pot big enough? 

i think thats about it for now. Pics will come once everything is up and running. If this works out, hydro looks like quite a fun challenge to do next. 

thanks ✌🏼 

Welcome. 

Buy a decent soil. There is really good commercially availible soils these days. Organics Matter, Just Cannabis and freedom farms to name the most popular. If your in cape town there is some mixes we can hook you up with. If you buy a good soil Fertilizer is not.that important. A good microbial inoculant or your own compost teas should.be more.than enough. No fertilizer needed.

Your lights should do perfectly for a first grow. Just switche them put to HPS bulbs when you switch to flower.

Pot size. If its only growing one plant get a 30l pot. Most commercially availible soils comes in a 30l pot. You can also veg a bit longer if you going to train your plant you will.also get a larger harvest off your.plant in a bigger pot.

Happy growing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rob189 said:

Hey guys

Im going to be starting my “first” grow in the next week or so. Going to be an indoor grow with 2x 150w mh over her. 

i just have a few questions:

1) whats a nice, easy soil mix? I made an amazing soil mix 10 years ago, but cannot remember what i used (potting soil, coco, vermiculite and bonemeal i think)

2) fertilisers...is there a thread somewhere that can explain exactly when to use what, and what quantities and for how long? Saw on a youtube vid today some talking about how you want your leaves to turn yellow just before changing to flower? 

3) veg/flower transistion...whats the best way? The seeds ive order are Feminised, non-auto. Im planning on 6500k veg and 3000k flower (but it will probably be 3500k depending on globe availability) 

4) Pot size...10L pot big enough? 

i think thats about it for now. Pics will come once everything is up and running. If this works out, hydro looks like quite a fun challenge to do next. 

thanks ✌🏼 

Sup man..

okay, so

1) I agree with @SkunkPharm , living soil would be the way to go if you're getting back into things. Just feed organics to boost the microbes whenever you need to and it should serve you well. You can mix up your own, it would be a bit cheaper but its more work.

2) General Hydroponics Flora Tripack (as Salt-based) nutes or BioBizz (as Organics) are normally what beginners start with if you really want to buy some stuff - Although you won't need it if you go with living soil. Also salt-based isn't used in living soil (it hurts the microbe life)

Disregard what you saw on that youtube video, putting a tree into flower doesn't depend on the colour of the leaves or anything. The only thing that will make a difference is how old the tree is - photoperiod trees generally won't flower even if exposed to 12/12 when they're younger than 4 weeks old. With Autoflowers you would have to keep an eye on your plants to know when to change the nutrient ratios - something that's easier planned with photoperiods.

3) Depends on your space... I grow in a 70cm x 70cm space and have a single tree in a 20L pot - fills out the tent well. If you aren't limited with space, then like SkunkPharm said, a 30L should be fine for a single indoor photoperiod tree to train - The harvest will be worth it, just watch humidity levels in flower. 

• Like 1

@TheUltimateNoob thanks. Ive got around 1m^2 to play around with. 

i live on the coast...would humidity, or lack thereof, be a concern? If so, what numbers should i be aiming for? 

No problem bro.

The lack of humidity may slow down veg a slight bit (not really noticeable since coast generally is above 40%)...

I'd say keep humidity levels below 65% in flower or whenever there's a lot of vegetation in your grow space and have good airflow to minimise risk of powdery mildew, that's about it...

People aim for low humidity (below 40% sometimes) at the end of flower to get more trichomes... But I grow some frosty buds with levels sometimes close to 70% (I have no way of controlling it)... I do check my trees almost every day for any mold though.

Edit: my guess at a decent humidity range would be 60% in veg and 50% in flower.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1