Need advice flushing Coco-coir perlite - big pH and salts spike 4 weeks in...

I'm having an issue with my 1st grow, I'm 5 weeks in now and the run-off from 1 of my plants has spiked, pH and ppm going in is 5.8 and 1200, the run-off though is at 7.1 and 2500ppm

The medium is a promix from my local store, it's 50/50 coco perlite with some extras. It's supposed to be pH neutral too.

Coco Peat, Perlite, Turbo Grow, Dolomite Lime, Rock Phosphate, Powdered Kelp, Mycoroot, Diatomaceous Earth, Trichoderma & Worm Castings.

I've read and read and read and even though people recommend flushing to resolve this no one can tell me what I should be flushing with, I've tried pure water, on some bad advice, and not much luck. 

I'm using EHG liquid nutrients to feed. at 3/4 recommended dose.

I've read that if the coco is shocked with pure water(pH 5) it starts dumping salts. I'm guessing after my attempt to flush with 15l of pure water it might have hurt more than helped.

Any advice welcome, I was meant to switch to flowering last week but want to get this sorted before I do

Have a look at my first journal, I had endless issues and had the same soil as you do from the local hydro shops (Claremont and Kraaifontein). In my opinion they do not cook the soil and merely mix it and sell.

I had a total change in the plants once I started using the freedom farms mix and more so from Jamie Garden Shop.

My recommendation to you would be to go for either, they are living soils and not that sh1t you have.

Try what may I could not get that soil right.

Sorry to say but don't ever use that again, rather invest in the above soil and you won't look back.

Jamie is well aware of what we are using his soil for and he is a wealth of knowledge. Derrick from Freedom farms 2 as he asked me what strains I'm running lol. Both have awesome by-products also.

Have a great day and PM me if your in Cape Town and need so guidance or ask here as there are plenty of Capetonians willing to help.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Freedom farms FTW. :D

I won't use anything else for my outdoor. For my autopot I'm using  the 50/50 promix with no additives.

With cannabis, general rule of thumb is steer clear of any soil that has any additives & slow release fertilizers. In most cases it's too hot for seedlings & they don't survive.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2018 at 2:06 PM, ZuluLaunch said:

I'm having an issue with my 1st grow, I'm 5 weeks in now and the run-off from 1 of my plants has spiked, pH and ppm going in is 5.8 and 1200, the run-off though is at 7.1 and 2500ppm

The medium is a promix from my local store, it's 50/50 coco perlite with some extras. It's supposed to be pH neutral too.

Coco Peat, Perlite, Turbo Grow, Dolomite Lime, Rock Phosphate, Powdered Kelp, Mycoroot, Diatomaceous Earth, Trichoderma & Worm Castings.

I've read and read and read and even though people recommend flushing to resolve this no one can tell me what I should be flushing with, I've tried pure water, on some bad advice, and not much luck. 

I'm using EHG liquid nutrients to feed. at 3/4 recommended dose.

I've read that if the coco is shocked with pure water(pH 5) it starts dumping salts. I'm guessing after my attempt to flush with 15l of pure water it might have hurt more than helped.

Any advice welcome, I was meant to switch to flowering last week but want to get this sorted before I do

Did you come right with this? Did you manage to lower that ph? If so, what did you flush with? 

I used my regular feeding just ph to 5.8.

please let me know if there is a better way and also how to avoid the spike in coco?