Growfo here, stopping by to introduce myself

Growfo

Hi everyone, call me growfo, not be mistaken for mofo.

i like plants, especially ones cann cross an abis, did i spell that right;).

I tend towards ones with colour, gotta love them flavonoids, ones with flavour, terpenes aren't bad either, or ones that smack me on my ass.

My interests lie in genetics, efficient lighting, solventless extracts and growing growing and growing, did i mention growing?

hope to learn a lot here, thanks for having a growfo like me!

DSC06166.thumb.JPG.338d93fbb55b36cbb47a700a94712b7e.JPG

Howdy,

the technique i see has been mentioned here before, so nothing new to 420sa it seems, its called rosin. Uses heat and pressure to extract between stainless steel plates.

I processed 1.5 kilo last year using a 12ton machine on aluminium plates. Extracted between 12-20 percent of concentrate depending on starting material.

Despite such as simple technique many parameters that can determine quality and consistency product, it is a fun process to learn!

I unfortunately dont have pics at the moment as we sold the machine (reluctantly) to a very interested acquaintance. It wasn't the intention to sell, but he expressed interest. I also happened to be about to move house and contents, so the sale worked in everyones favour, and now i plan to use the cash to put together a slightly more refined version of what i sold with the money from the sale. So worked out well for everyone.

The new unit will have more pressure, and larger plates, as i found at times i wanted to but more material in than the previous plate size allowed.

I also was nursing someone with cancer when i had the press, so this was priceless as it allowed me to make an extract that was ready immediately, and then only needed a few minutes in an oven to decarboxylate for ingestion.

In terms of what i do, just another every day joe, obsessed with plants in every aspect, and with an over active mind so constantly researching, reading, growing, tinkering and then some work on the side.

Once the new machine is put together i will happily post some pics of the tools and process

Welcome to the forum, Growfo! I'm super keen to see your press build. I hope to give making rosin a try out after I harvest, but I will probably be using a hair straightener and not a real press, lol! Have you experimented with using fresh frozen material for making rosin? Do you usually press hash or unprocessed plant matter?

Hi Danny, thanks for the welcome.

I haven't experimented with using fresh material, i was deterred by an article i read regarding the moisture content effecting the temperature in the plates, and the excess moisture remaining within the parchment paper. But i reckon go ahead and try, this is just one person opinion, and i was too new at it to make any opinions myself. 

I have pressed both dry flowers and bubble , the bubble is amazing both to observe being pressed and the quality of the product.

I have seen great results from people using hair straighteners, i believe if your temps are ok, and you can apply the right pressure then quality should be similar, just keep the amounts that you press at one time quite small.

Rosin is trash. Let alone the Rosin around these parts.

well we all have opinions, isn't there a saying or something that? goes along the lines of opinions are like.... can't remember exactly, maybe you can help me out?

but judging from your response you have a lot of experience in it, i am still learning about extractions, perhaps you could educate me a bit.

how does it differ from other extraction techniques, what are the pro and cons?

why does it qualify as being "trash" in your opinion?

thanks for stopping by

Welcome to the forum, Growfo! I'm super keen to see your press build. I hope to give making rosin a try out after I harvest, but I will probably be using a hair straightener and not a real press, lol! Have you experimented with using fresh frozen material for making rosin? Do you usually press hash or unprocessed plant matter?

Did some internet research on the frozen material, they call it live rosin, plant frozen , then extracted using bubble hash method, so excuse my ignorance @_DANNY_H_ here s link to some dude producing it, looks pretty damn nice to me!

am i allowed to post links, if not please delete

https://www.instagram.com/madhat420/?hl=en

the colour and consistency looks mind blowing

Yeah that guy does extract some real nice looking stuff! I've seen these live rosin extracts on Youtube being almost completely clear except for an ever-so-slight green tinge. Apparently it's really great, flavourful stuff, but can't be stored for very long and has problems with moisture content.

Rad, belated welcome bro.

Have been standing on a R200 hair straightener, with as much force as I can muster, myself. Prefer to sit and smoke a spliff rather than dab, but wow, well worth a DIY pleb press to sample the flavour profiles of the harvest, unadulterated. 

Keen to see your setup(s) when you do post.