The road to homegrown

__DANNY__H__

I figured since I'm pretty sure I got 100% for my first test today, I reckon now is as good a time as any to post some update photos!

My shitty phone camera and flash makes it look like they're all on the verge of dying out right where they stand but they don't look that bad IRL I promise. xD

BTW, Justin: The VK is starting to show preflowers despite a lightcycle with more than 14 hours of light. How long you reckon this'll continue? A drop from 18/6 was obviously going to cause this to happen, but it shouldn't continue flowering properly if I keep this up... I don't want to send this thing through a long reveg just to let it get a bit bigger before I let it flower lol. Also the granidilla cuttings I've taken a couple days ago are very stubbornly refusing to root, sigh. -_-

Pics are (in order):

* (1, 2) The two damaged plants

* (3) The weird bushy-bud (frankly the existence of this plant is an enigma, I've got no fucking clue what it's doing)

* (4, 5) The pink plant and it's comrade, and it's top bud (real pinkeh!)

* (6) My current favourite plant (stretched so much so quickly, putting on much more frost than its friends)

* (7) The accidental-topping (doing better than most of the others, hilariously) and it's sister. The sister (in the background) has this beautiful gentle fruity smell that I can't wait to smoke!

* (8) The slow-flowering plant that's kin to the plant in picture (1)

IMG_20180322_190327984.thumb.jpg.887a038eac14c0b654039f8aa77e9ca1.jpg

IMG_20180322_190338601.thumb.jpg.b3c4d61ab68b389caeeb8687c07163bf.jpg

IMG_20180322_190357768.thumb.jpg.be99060add156ccd4dd23970d15f1f9a.jpg

IMG_20180322_190158323.thumb.jpg.586e58aaa4d8a85f97c17db1e788506c.jpg

IMG_20180322_190210510.thumb.jpg.91f2297be8f021621e15754cadaec4c5.jpg

IMG_20180322_190235172.thumb.jpg.6dbf49a908bc3bae71907f7c7cdda3c9.jpg

IMG_20180322_190315594.thumb.jpg.dd574635bc020521b6efec34f4397c1b.jpg

IMG_20180322_190406497.thumb.jpg.2b4000d4d69a6236c5b3d96b44884512.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured since I'm pretty sure I got 100% for my first test today, I reckon now is as good a time as any to post some update photos!

My shitty phone camera and flash makes it look like they're all on the verge of dying out right where they stand but they don't look that bad IRL I promise. xD

BTW, Justin: The VK is starting to show preflowers despite a lightcycle with more than 14 hours of light. How long you reckon this'll continue? A drop from 18/6 was obviously going to cause this to happen, but it shouldn't continue flowering properly if I keep this up... I don't want to send this thing through a long reveg just to let it get a bit bigger before I let it flower lol. Also the granidilla cuttings I've taken a couple days ago are very stubbornly refusing to root, sigh. -_-

Pics are (in order):

* (1, 2) The two damaged plants

* (3) The weird bushy-bud (frankly the existence of this plant is an enigma, I've got no fucking clue what it's doing)

* (4, 5) The pink plant and it's comrade, and it's top bud (real pinkeh!)

* (6) My current favourite plant (stretched so much so quickly, putting on much more frost than its friends)

* (7) The accidental-topping (doing better than most of the others, hilariously) and it's sister. The sister (in the background) has this beautiful gentle fruity smell that I can't wait to smoke!

* (8) The slow-flowering plant that's kin to the plant in picture (1)

Is the VK destined for outside or inside?

Well done on the first test man !!

Oh all my plants showed Pre flowers when vegged under the Sanlights, the switch to flower was seamless due to all the plants starting to flower already in the veg box.

Check this SA that's only 3 weeks into flower

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

296d086d2428df7f6750d335ca9e7241.jpg

That's a real pretty plant, Justin!

The VK has to go outdoors because I have absolutely zero indoor growing facilities. :P I'm bringing the plant indoors at night so that it doesn't get the current outdoor photoperiod, which will definitely induce flowering (as demonstrated by the other plants xD), since it's still so small. I was hoping that before I let it flower I could get it large enough to top with a week or two to recover from said topping.

That's a real pretty plant, Justin!

The VK has to go outdoors because I have absolutely zero indoor growing facilities. I'm bringing the plant indoors at night so that it doesn't get the current outdoor photoperiod, which will definitely induce flowering (as demonstrated by the other plants xD), since it's still so small. I was hoping that before I let it flower I could get it large enough to top with a week or two to recover from said topping.

Can you put it under any light just to stop it from flowering? Just for 3 to 4 hrs

Yeah, that's what I've been doing ^_^ My lights are typically on in my room until 9 or 10pm, so it's getting *at least* 2 extra hours of light, and that's a pretty conservative lower-bound. When I'm on my 5am rising schedule on mondays->wednesdays, it's getting an hour of light from 5am til 6am as well. (Albeit followed by some darkness because the sun hasn't risen when I leave home.)

I've placed my order for Sannie's KF!

Also I should say that the spider mites appear to have been completely eradicated. Haven't seen the little bastards in ages. Hopefully won't see them ever again.

Here's some high-quality pictures of my plants I took the other day: https://imgur.com/a/s7cSe

Nice Bud, can you tell us a little bit of the strain?

So uuuuhhhmmm, I just found a spider mite and a bunch of eggs under one of the leaves of my plants... -_-

Is it neem oil time, or should I just cut my losses and harvest early? I'm gonna definitely be spraying some neem oil on the Vanilla Kush since it isn't flowering yet, but the others are REALLY far into flower now...

@Justin: It's a sativa dominant hybrid, has a fairly high chance of getting purple phenos. Big yielder, energetic high, not-so-dense buds with lots of foxtails. Stretches like crazy as well apparently. The page on Sannie's site is pretty good and has some nice pics: https://www.sanniesshop.com/killing-fields-f2-nl-en.html

EDIT: Also this smoke report shows a KF substrain bred for deep purple colour: https://www.opengrow.com/topic/45959-killing-fields-the-real-purple-haze/

Hochymama[/member]: Yeah Sannie is quite efficient, answers questions willingly and quite quickly. I payed with bitcoin, gets you a 10% discount, but the exchanges of ZAR->BTC->Euro actually ends up making it cost a little more than if you pay via normal means! Lol. I've heard a lot of people saying Sannie is top-notch, including Totemic and some other guys on the weed.co.za forum before it shut down. Apparently his stealth methods are so good first-time buyers often can't find their seeds. xD

I decided to give the ladies a thorough neem oil spraying. I figure I'd rather let the plants go a little longer.

Three of the plants are definitely nearing harvest time, though, so I'm darn excited! :D

Lol, I probably should have thought about wiping before I went and sprayed them. What's done is done, though. I only really sprayed the plants that weren't "ready", though. The others might have gotten a drop or two, but probably nothing to worry about. :P

Anyway, yesterday I cut down the weird bush, and today I cut one of the EL plants. The latter has a great fruity/musky smell that I can't wait to sample in a little joint. :P (See attached pic.) These weren't sprayed. They're also really unimpressive. xD

--------

So, regardless: I'm gonna be doing a winter grow! I'll do 3 of Killing Fields, 1 of JH's VK cut (which is doing fantastically by the way, topped it a little while ago and it's branching real good) and if I get the freebee I asked for from Sannie, 2 of Big White X Heribei F2.

I want to veg the plants for a while before I let them flower. Naturally this will mean extending their photoperiod artificially, but I'm over taking plants indoors at night because I keep forgetting! So, I reckon I'm going to build a little cover and install 2 lights above the plants. I'm thinking I can build a timer circuit that will drop the cover a certain amount of time after the lights turn on. See attached diagram. :P

To get an 18/6 light cycle, I'd have to have the lights on from ~1am til when the sun rises.... So I might go for something like a 14 or 15 hour day instead. :P

I'm in the process of figuring out how to get supports that drop after X amount of time with the circuit on. The timer aspect isn't particularly difficult to do, I'd just have a mains timer with a small DC powersupply and the lights attached, with some 555 timers set up carefully running from the DC. I was thinking of electromagnet latches that open when the electromagnet is powered (by the 555 timer circuit, naturally), thus dropping the covers.

EDIT: It just occured to me that there are IC's much better suited to these timescales than 555's... I'll figure it out later! Lol.

cover.thumb.png.aa69cff7833e02879e385bc8122f8c3a.png

IMG_20180402_152709753.thumb.jpg.df46a57c5df8532647351fc84c8d6f6d.jpg

Yeah I'm a bit of a DIY guy... sad realisation. Really enjoy doing things the unnecessarily difficult way. At this point I have seriously considered indoor growing but I legit have ZERO free space indoors. So I'll see how well I can do it outside. ;D

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I smoked my first real sample of that weird bush. Smoked half a joint rolled with Pure Hemp unbleached (Guess That Rizzla! ;D) standard sized papers. It's actually not too bad! {^)^} I'd say it's a little more potent than the weed it came from was. Quite brain-fogging but no body effects at all. I basically feel like ADD turned up to 11.

EDIT2: Wow my spelling/grammar are bad.

Hey guys is it normal for hanging plants to smell a bit grassy in the first few days of drying? I chose to do the "leaves on" dry method, and when I peel the leaves back I still get that nice strong terp smell, but if I just sniff the leafy area it smells like... drying grass clippings? xD

I think I'm gonna try wet-trimming the next batch of plants I harvest.

Heya I've also noticed that same smell, but what I have read there's no real harm that way, but that's my personal opinion.

I've left it that way in my grow box, no fans or such, just darkness and she cured fine although I plucked her way to early ( good cpl weeks to early-impatient ) but worked out fine....

Hey Justin :D They've been hanging since 1st and 2nd of April (the weird one and the normal-looking one, respectively), so that's 4 days for weird-bush, and about 3 and a half for normal-one.

Think I may have seen a speck of mould on a dry bud leaf... D: But I pulled the leaf off. Thinking of moving this somewhere with a fan blowing past it, just not sure where/how I'm gonna do that at the moment. The humidity where I live is quite high... Hopefully I don't royally mould everything in the mean time!

Hey Justin :D They've been hanging since 1st and 2nd of April (the weird one and the normal-looking one, respectively), so that's 4 days for weird-bush, and about 3 and a half for normal-one.

Think I may have seen a speck of mould on a dry bud leaf... D: But I pulled the leaf off. Thinking of moving this somewhere with a fan blowing past it, just not sure where/how I'm gonna do that at the moment. The humidity where I live is quite high... Hopefully I don't royally mould everything in the mean time!

I usually hang mine in a sealed cardboard box. I heater in the room will drop the humidity.