DNA damage from storing seeds too long...

Dragon888

HI guys!

So I have had quite a number if different strains stored for about 5 years, in my cupboard in an airtight plastic container.

I have tried to germinate so many of them, and barely any of them even pop.

Of the ones which have popped, they die shortly after, or they grow out with very Parc ulnar characteristics,  for a few days, like weird leaf formation and retardation, and then just peg on me.

Does anyone here know a little more in depth detail as to whether storing seeds for a long time in averse conditions, can perhaps break down DNA of the seed?

I can't really find any details on this anywhere on any forums..

Thanx :)

:goodposting

Just my 2 cents... after 5 years most seeds won't be viable. Unless they're kept at perfect laboratory conditions. 

In my opinion freezing cannabis seeds for extended periods of time will kill them. 

You could do a specific density test on your seeds. Put some in a glass of water and the seeds that sink after 24 hours have a chance of germinating. What medium are you using to germinate your seeds? 

Another trick I have used is hydrogen peroxide (3%). A small glass of water that is stagnant and has seeds floating and sinking in it will quickly starve the seeds of oxygen. Unless the surface of the water is being disturbed, which allows oxygen exchange at the surface. This is how fish tanks work. 

I have found that adding a few drops of h202 helps oxygenate the water and increase the chances of germination. Especially in old seeds. 

But 5 year old seeds... I don't know... 

I've got beans going on 5 years and they popped, not 100% success but at least 80%. 

Its all about keeping the moisture levels at a stable level. by keeping them in containers with a moisture absorbant, you will eliminate the "start to germ" process. And by keeping them in the fridge you put them in a stasis mode.

Freezer is just the same. just better packaging with rice is needed.

If its in a drawer or back of the cupboard just somma, then yea expect no more than 2 years. 

And I dont think any damage to the DNA would occur, but I dont fully know...

Awe

:-peace

There are just so many variables too. I suppose a non frost freezer would work better than a regular freezer. Perhaps sealing the seeds in a super air tight container might work in a freezer. 

I sometimes cure buds in the freezer in sealed jars. The humidity is way under 10% so I make sure the RH in the jars is a stable 65%. After a week the buds are removed and kept sealed in the jars for several hours until it has defrosted. 

DON'T open the jars until they've reached room temperature!!! But anyway, that's off topic.

Do you guys think that different seeds from different regions store better than others? For example ruderalis that grows wild in Russia will probably have seeds that will last longer in a fridge or freezer than seeds from equatorial regions. Just a thought I've always wondered. Any opinions? 

Personally I store seeds in small labelled jars and keep them in a bottom drawer. The oldest seeds are 3 years old. They all germed April this year and were grown indoors over winter. 

Ill try the same batch of seeds next year and let you know. 

But like I said, there's so many variables. Temp, humidity, etc. I'm sure even different altitudes can affect seeds somehow. 

In my imagination box freezing seeds could damage DNA. It's something I must still try. There are some fruit seeds that need to be kept in the freezer for a few months to simulate winter. This is called stratification. Apple seeds are one example. But cannabis beans don't need this treatment. They just need warmth and water to 'hatch'. 

You've got me itching to experiment now. I will freeze some seeds.