Join the 12-1 Army....... Dont be a ZOMBIE!!!!

Dabtzar

Hi All

OK so I have been using this schedule for a few years now and now that Iv'e seen it for my own eyes and seen the comparisons i'm able to say that is does in fact work.

What this does is it lowers your power use by 57%, increases yield by 30-40%, shortens flower period by 10-14 days.

Don't be a Zombie and grow on Veg- 20/4 or 18/6  and Flower 12/12....

<a href=12-1_zps7gfzv6tg.jpg" />

What are short day and long day plants?

February 19, 2003

CORVALLIS - Ever wonder why you have trouble getting your Christmas cactus or poinsettia to bloom again? Or have trouble with bolting spinach and lettuce in your summer garden?

To understand plant flowering, you need to get a handle on "photoperiodism," or amount of light and darkness a plant is exposed to. The amount of uninterrupted darkness is what determines the formation of flowers on most types of plants, explained Ann Marie VanDerZanden, horticulturist with the Oregon State University Extension Service.

Botanists used to think that the length of daylight a plant was exposed to determined whether a plant would form flowers. But experiments proved otherwise. It is the length of darkness that a plant experiences that plays the most crucial role.

A plant that requires a long period of darkness, is termed a "short day" (long night) plant. Short-day plants form flowers only when day length is less than about 12 hours. Many spring and fall flowering plants are short day plants, including chrysanthemums, poinsettias and Christmas cactus. If these are exposed to more than 12 hours of light per day, bloom formation does not occur.

Other plants require only a short night to flower. These are termed "long day" plants. These bloom only when they receive more than 12 hours of light. Many of our summer blooming flowers and garden vegetables are long day plants, such as asters, coneflowers, California poppies, lettuce, spinach and potatoes. These all bloom when the days are long, during our temperate summers.

And some plants form flowers regardless of day length. Botanists call these "day neutral" plants. Tomatoes, corn, cucumbers and some strawberries are day-neutral. Some plants, such as petunias defy categorization, said VanDerZanden.

"They flower regardless of day length, but flower earlier and more profusely with long days," she said.

Horticulturists and home gardeners manipulate the day and night length (indoors with lights) to get plants to bloom at times other than they would naturally.

For example, chrysanthemums, short day plants, naturally set flower and bloom with the long nights of spring or fall. But by making the days shorter by covering the chrysanthemums for at least 12 hours a day for several weeks over the late spring and early summer, you can simulate the light and darkness pattern of spring or fall, thereby stimulating summer blooming.

Or you can bring a long-day plant into bud formation and eventual bloom early before our day lengths surpass 12 hours. Put the plant under grow lights for a few hours a day beyond natural daylength for a few weeks. Adding supplemental day length to stimulate early blooming is a common practice in the nursery and fresh flower industry, especially this time of year, for Valentine's Day and Easter flowers.

Author: Carol Savonen

Source: Ann Marie VanDerZanden

When there is too much light?

http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/125/1/29.full

Now try it and thank me later for sharing this amazing find especially with all our load shedding..

This will help us growers in South Africa to grow FIRE during this load shedding...

Grow well...

Hi bud

This gas lantern style of growing had been around for years. How long have you been using it? Have you done any comparitive grows with the same strains?

I personally have tried it once and it was an utter failure, I am not trying to bash you with the next questions I just want to ask a few questions to a person that actually grows with this method.. Knowledge is power and I like to learn from people using the techniques not all the Internet cowboys. 

It starts off by saying that you must mimic outdoor growing with your indoor cycle,, makes perfect sense,, but then the article goes on to say that I must use a 12/1 cycle...... It contradicts its self as nowhere in nature do you get cycles like that. Another thing to remember about indoor strains is that they have actually been breede under 12/12 for many years now and haven't seen a natural cycle in many generations.

Corvallis has come out since then and said that this cycle only works on some strains and causes huge amount of hermies in others. Have you ever had a hermie problem? 

While I have no doubt that it saves electricity I think a claim off a 30-40% increase in yield is a hyper inflated number. If you getting an increase in yield like that over 12/12 commertial farmers would be using it. 

Please,, I am not bashing you or this technique.. You are the first person I have ever met in many years of growing that has used it more than once. Did it take a few grows to get right?

Cheers

Reaf

Guest Maxwell

Yeah I agree Reaf, exactly as you say, let's hear more? I agree with the idea that if it were effective, why don't commercial growers use it. I know technology and science is moving forward, but take a step back and let's consider we are still using HPS, technology that has been around for decades. Somethings are standard because they work beyond doubt...

Hi bud

Hey Reaf

This gas lantern style of growing had been around for years. How long have you been using it? Have you done any comparitive grows with the same strains? OK so I started using the 12/1 for veg about 3/4 years ago, did it for a few seasons but then changed back as I wasn't completely convinced as I wanted to do exactly that... Do a comparison grow. Which I wasn't able to do due to space restraints.

I personally have tried it once and it was an utter failure, I am not trying to bash you with the next questions I just want to ask a few questions to a person that actually grows with this method.. Knowledge is power and I like to learn from people using the techniques not all the Internet cowboys.

Yea man, I am totally about learning something myself, hence why I tried it after reading copious amount of material relating to it.

It starts off by saying that you must mimic outdoor growing with your indoor cycle,, makes perfect sense,, but then the article goes on to say that I must use a 12/1 cycle...... It contradicts its self as nowhere in nature do you get cycles like that. Another thing to remember about indoor strains is that they have actually been breede under 12/12 for many years now and haven't seen a natural cycle in many generations.

Look i totally understand what you saying and i thought how could it be. But then I had to try it and see. They truely do thrive under 12-1 in veg. I have got mothers that reveg ready for more cuts after cutting in 10-14 days no problem, where under 18-6 light I always had to wait longer say 10 - 20 days, not much difference you can say, but when you need clone stock, she needs to be producing, especially of you only have one mother of a certain pheno on a certain strain.

Corvallis has come out since then and said that this cycle only works on some strains and causes huge amount of hermies in others. Have you ever had a hermie problem?

No I have never had any Hermie issues using either 12-1 or 6-18. But i can say that if you mix between 'Zombie Growing" and 12-1 you can and most likely will get some hermies. So you need to stick to either "Gas lamp" = VEG - 12-1 and FLOWER - 10-14 down to 6- 18 , OR "Normal" = VEG - 18/6 and FLOWER - 12/12

While I have no doubt that it saves electricity I think a claim off a 30-40% increase in yield is a hyper inflated number. If you getting an increase in yield like that over 12/12 commertial farmers would be using it.

I can agree to that.. why arnt commercial growers using this method? Maybe because not enough growing has been done like this to instill the confidence in doing it. Cause if i run a Cultivation center for dispensaries and i try a new lighting method and my yeilds drop a shit load... Im gonna be super pissed. So Maybe as more people see the light that it can, does, or doesnt work we will have more to base our whole choice on it.

Please,, I am not bashing you or this technique.. You are the first person I have ever met in many years of growing that has used it more than once. Did it take a few grows to get right?

Well yes it did as I had to have my Veg and Flower cycles on the gas lantern method, and i didnt and couldnt figure out why i wasnt succeeding as much.

But I now shall keep working at it and hope to get the best out of it....

Im still in 2 minds, but when i see results like im going to post as soon as i get the pics. I kinda am happy with im getting.

Shot for the civil approach. Other peeps just run there mouth and then there is never a good debate for all to learn from.

Cheers

Reaf

Grow well