Light proofing a room

Guest grunterfish86

Guest grunterfish86

Hi fellow forumites

I need some advise, my grow room has a rather large window,  so I covered it with black plastic, worst idea ever battled with temps the whole grow. So next round I'm  gonna get a tent. The problem is at nyt time when I open the tent its gonna look like a space ship has landed how do I block out the window but keep the cool air coming in ? Or should I just manage the time when I open the tent?

Hi TK,

This is just an idea...

Place black plastic over the whole window and get some aluminium ducting, I would suggest a nice 10" or 12" and attach that to the black plastic then run the ducting down to the floor where the cheap box fan stands. Duct tape or attach the duct to the rear of the fan. And your smiling...that will cost you not too much..and no light in or out...ar at least minimal light leakage for cheap..

You could use darker duct to avoid light reflection or spray the aluminium duct black inside if light leaking in is a hassle

You could diy something similar if you on a budget.

Just an idea...use it don't use it lol

Peace happy growing :-peace

FRESH_RHINO_Aluminium_Ducting.jpg.4de4cda639fff6e23cf5c6e796244ca9.jpg

Home___Product_Categories___Box_Fan___cheap_box_fan.thumb.jpg.2897f863fd5f9803933f27582ffb7dae.jpg

Guest Maxwell
:-hilarious :-hilarious Damn I went down the exact same road! I found best bet is to just block it out with whatever you can, and then as HM says, have an intake and exhaust running to the windows. Alternatively use some black garden netting, not completely opaque but its a start.

Hey bud.

Ok you can waste your time putting plastic on the window,  which will make your temps swing everytime the sun hits it,  or  just spend a little and put a piece of timber over the whole window,  fix it to the wall,  use contractors acrylic to seal around the edges,  then take a jig saw ( or do this before you mount the timber) and cut out your intake and exhaust holes. Then simply attach the ducting and run it where ever.  With  a bend or two you can avoid the light leaks.

Now the temps won't swing so much.

Guest Maxwell

Spot on 420! Even using a little insulation will help a bit. Only problem is that it is not exactly stealthy or easily dissembled. And if you're blocking out the window to such an extent, why not use the whole room?

Guest grunterfish86

Geeprs thanks guys, appreciate the all the ideas and info, was thinking of a framed vibe but it needs to be able to be disassembled as I will have to take down this grow once again when I'm done, will work sumin out and let you know what I come up with.@toby How's that narrators voice haha made me chuckle sounds just like that how to show from discovery ! That's a serious setup tho geepers

Hi TK here is a thought , maybe turn your tent not to face the window ? and hang some shade cloth in front of the tent opening when it is open , easier to remove than slamming a frame on your window , all depending on if you are renting or if it is your own place. or invest in some curtains that cut out the light more .

Following Troys suggestion, another idea could be to put the tent in front the window and run your intake and exhaust from the tent straight to the plastic or whatever you choose to seal your window. This will get pure fresh air into the tent and all hot air out with minimal distance and smaller ducting also. That is dependant on whether or not the tent can be moved to the window.

Peace