Wet Anaerobic Digester

Guest grunterfish86

Guest grunterfish86

For all you organic heads!

*So I tried this and it did not work edited this post so you don't waste time building it. Anaerobic is a messy business !

What is it ?

Anaerobic composting

The term anaerobic means with out oxygen,the aim here is to fill the bin with materials and cover with water, the water excludes oxygen creating anaerobic conditions,

Septic style composting or Wet anaerobic digestion take place more slowly then dry methods as the temps are lower.

You can put the the bin in a sunny place to speed things up, although the microbes are adaptable to warmer environments, having the bin in the sun will speed up the microbes metabolism. once the bin is full and all materials are covered with water stop adding materials. You will tell the compost is ready by smell, if it smells like ammonia or rotten then leave it, only once its stable like the smell of manure or dirt is it ready.

So basically the stuff is fermenting, which means it is letting off methane gasses and the smell ain't pretty, for that reason keep the bin in a spot where the smell wont bother you or the neighbors. The water will absorb the gases but once disturbed will be released. Be careful as pathogens wont dispose as there wont be enough heat, so stick to vegan materials with a low C/N ratio also avoid wood, saw dust and dry leaves. The composting process is slow make sure you dont add oxygen this will kill the beneficial microbes (the bacteria need to multiply). Once you've made your first batch leave some to add to the next batch to inoculate it and get it going faster.

Being trying out  vermi composting but its also being messy so gonna you this bin for the worms rather !

Happy growing !!! :-peace

Guest kimcarsons

I'm not so convinced. I don't like Anaerobic processes and they are difficult to get right, especially considering many of the micro-organisms are pathogens...  :poke

Guest grunterfish86

Kim is right about anaerobic its not the most popular method and gets messy with the decomposing and all not sumin u wanna be playing with. So don't do it, I have a friend who is a commercial Fisher man and he had a plant come up right by his cleaning station where all the fish waste runsoff! Uve never seen such a healthy lady specialy since he never even botherd with her was crazy! We actually thought of turning all his left over fish waste into ferts haha but that's some nasty business!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest grunterfish86

So after trying a couple different setups I'm set on this one, it works much better and seperates the worms from the castings. Once you happy with the amount you rotate the top crate with the middle one, empty the castings and fill with food again, then the worms make there way to the top once again !

The other day I added some organic compost activator to my digester to help speed things up ! Same stuff you can flush into you septic tank system !!!!

uploadfromtaptalk1421671506741.jpg.16382d6fe321f66e8232e4b6c62cba7c.jpg

• 5 months later...
Guest spootch

Okay so ive had this bin sitting for 6months now and I'm now moving house and went to check on it and its hecticly smelly like a pigs den is the only thing I can describe it as ! May have putt to much orange peels so donno what to do with this mess lol think its best to only set this up if you have a big yard and a place to leave it far away haha

Just thought I would let u know !

Guest spootch

Just Google Red Wrigglers Mr peat there a couple places, they will send the entire starter kit to you I was lucky as live close to a guy who sells so met up with him!

The design I posted was kinda hard to get right, there's lots of methods, I found that they don't like been moved around and messed about to much. Get them settled in and they fine but takes some tweaking!

Also separating the vermicompost from the actual worms is a story that's y I tried this design in the pic, it worked great with the tap you can extract the liquid nicely but the worms kept escaping will take some pics of my setup very simple atm 

• 2 months later...