CO2 Generator

MonsterMunch

Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone is generating CO2, and how are you doing it?

I had a crack at doing yeast, sugar and warm water in coke bottles with very little success. To be honest, I tried a few times with different recipes and found that it to be a huge mission.

I have resorted to making my own system using a CO2 bottle from a welding machine and then automated to open for 10 seconds every hour.  I exchange it every few months for a full one. This is very costly but the results are fantastic.

Is anyone getting results using other, cheaper methods?

I have a chemical engineer who lives across the road from me suggested baking soda and vinegar.

I haven't tried it or seen it being done.

I will hit him up for other solutions.   

Acetic acid = CH3COOH, baking soda = sodium bicarbonate = NaHCO3

NaHCO3 + CH3COOH → CH3COONa + H2O + CO2(g)

One mole of acid reacts with one mole of soda to produce one mole of CO2 gas

molar mass of sodium bicarbonate = 84.01 g/mol

molar mass of acetic acid = 60.05 g/ml

3.69 g of soda = 3.69/84.01 = 0.04392 mol

50 mL 5% acetic acid is 0.05*50 = 2.5 g. = 2.5/60.05 = 0.04163 mol

(the density of acetic acid is very close to that of water = 1g/mL)

Acetic acid is the limiting reactant, so 0.04163 mol of CO2 is produced (theoretically)

the volume of CO2 is found from the gas law, V = n*R*T/P

V = volume in L

T = temp in ºK

P = pressure in atm

R = 0.08207 L-atm/ºK-mol

I've also played around with the yeast mix and it worked from what  I think  I saw.  But  if your room is not completely sealed,  you  are using more  Co2 than needed.  Your room needs to be sealed and running at  a solid temp.

For the baking soda method.  For you to produce enough Co2 to get your room to  - +1000ppm you are going to need  liters if vinegar and  Kgs of baking soda.  But  seeing as I haven't tried this method I'm keen to see what results it can produce.  Please try and report your findings....

Another method is to have your compost heap close to your intake for your room and it will just pull in the extra Co2. Had  a guy do that  and he says it works.

Guest Maxwell

I pasted a link somewhere here already to the hydrofarm site. Has a whole page dedicated to CO2 and the different methods, what it would cost and how much to use. Basically imo MO you are doing it semi-correctly, get a solenoid and then you can adjust accurately. As 420 said, it's got to be sealed, or else long term you'll waste more than you use.

• 5 weeks later...