grow room build

wingwing

Hello good people

It's important to never learn from some of your mistakes. Against my better judgement, instead of a tent I decided to build something with all the spare bits and pieces I have lying around. As is always the case it's been more work than expected but unlike most of my projects it's definitely coming in more cost effective than the tent. So far cost has been just over R300 and now I have storage space above the room. Usually these things end up costing more  than what I could've bought it for in the first place however! Sometimes you just gotta keep banging your head against a wall until you get a different result which is what happened this time. Cheap, pretty sure it'll work ok but still got lots to do.

dims: 100 x 170 x 220

I've put a pic of progress so you have a visual and can hopefully answer a couple q's:

1 - I was going to put a square wall heater into the room. Should I be concerned about radiant heat? I can't imagine it's a good thing. Where do you guys put the heater? I was thinking against the room wall on the near end. 

2 - I have a TD200 silent bathroom extractor fan that I don't need under my house anymore. It's not speed controllable but its quiet and I think it'll work for such a small space. Was going to roof mount it at the far end and vent through the airbrick under the ceiling. Passive intake on the near end but I have no idea what size to make it. Ideas? 

Any help greatly appreciated

20220618_182641.jpg

• Like 3

I saw you said somewhere (I think it was you) to be careful of temperatures when growing autos. I'm putting some Fastbuds cheese and RQS Mimosa in there to start while I get some photo's going. It's not very well insulated so it'll lose heat fast. do you think load shedding will have much of an effect on the roots in winter? I've only grown autos outdoors in summer.

Should mention I got great service from biltongnbuds again. Credit where credit's due.

• Like 1

52 RH and whatever the winter temp is... it's not a warm room at the best of times which is why I'm using it because in summer I need the coolest room. But I hear you, I'll check the temp when the lights are on first. My concern is the next couple of months we gonna get the real low temps and from having grown a few autos before I know they are finicky as all hell.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wingwing said:

I saw you said somewhere (I think it was you) to be careful of temperatures when growing autos. I'm putting some Fastbuds cheese and RQS Mimosa in there to start while I get some photo's going. It's not very well insulated so it'll lose heat fast. do you think load shedding will have much of an effect on the roots in winter? I've only grown autos outdoors in summer.

Should mention I got great service from biltongnbuds again. Credit where credit's due.

Ya you want to be careful with autos, I don't grow many autos but I think best practice is to try maintain consistent environments. 

Then heat is a factor that is very situational, so what light do you plan on using? and does it give off heat, if so, you could possibly use it to heat up the environment. 

Also you could run the lights at night to keep the temps in a good range. 

• Like 2

@wingwing how's it going bud! 🤙

I am loaded with questions, it's good to have a plan before renting the bulldozer.

It's good to kinda just "wingwing-it" (see what I did there 😅) and in a lot of cases you don't have a choice but to wing it... 

...but like the thing with the light, that's something you need to know, I would suggest LED then working around that later on, easy to pop in a heater and have it on a sonoff switch so it'll only come on when needed. but if you already have HID or something that gives off it's own heat you wouldn't need a heater... in which case I would still suggest to get rid of the HID and make the jump to LED. reason for that is, it's easy to heat up a room when needed, but trust me you gona be pissing tears of frustration during summer to cool the HID down. a lot of HID owners I know can't even grow during summer..... sooo, LED it is. 😉

When I saw what you busy with, first thing that popped into my head, cause you not using a tent, but rather building a solid room, I see you got extraction sorted, I don't see anything regarding intake? You gona seal the room? Tents usually have passive intakes near the bottom, but if you have a sealed room you'll be suffocating plants if you suck all the air out without letting fresh air in. with sealed rooms active intake is really the only option. so you'll need another inline fan. and need to make a hole for intake aswell as extract. either that or don't seal the room by making passive intakes like tents have, you just need to figure out how to filter the air that passes through there and also block light from coming in there during your dark cycle. 

Active intake = a inline fan pushing fresh air in from outside with a hole the size of the fan you'll be using for the ducting to enter.

Passive intake = a much bigger hole where there is no extra inline fan, but rather the space will start passively sucking air in as the extractor creates a vacuum.

the extraction, for that size, don't go bigger than a 10cm inline fan, and obviously your ducting will have to be the 10cm ducting so it can fit the fan..... anything bigger than the 10cm extractor will be overkill for that space. 

then my last suggestion would be to grab some photoperiod plants and make it all much much much muuuuch easier on yourself. 😉 whatever auto you got the photoperiod of that same strain already exists and you can treat photoperiods like autos and flower them at any size, but you can't treat a autoflower like a photoperiod, and if you try the auto will show you the finger and turn against you. 

autos are for seasoned growers that have their situations fine tuned with no hickups! that's why I don't grow them, yet.

:-stoned

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Ya you want to be careful with autos, I don't grow many autos but I think best practice is to try maintain consistent environments. 

Then heat is a factor that is very situational, so what light do you plan on using? and does it give off heat, if so, you could possibly use it to heat up the environment. 

I hear you on running them at night I will keep that in mind but I will probably just use the heater and a thermostat so I can do what needs to be done during the day. Good suggestion though I hadn't thought of that.

The lights a 550W Leon LED with a 480W driver. It's the 561c diodes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@wingwing how's it going bud! 🤙

I am loaded with questions, it's good to have a plan before renting the bulldozer.

It's good to kinda just "wingwing-it" (see what I did there 😅) and in a lot of cases you don't have a choice but to wing it... 

...but like the thing with the light, that's something you need to know, I would suggest LED then working around that later on, easy to pop in a heater and have it on a sonoff switch so it'll only come on when needed. but if you already have HID or something that gives off it's own heat you wouldn't need a heater... in which case I would still suggest to get rid of the HID and make the jump to LED. reason for that is, it's easy to heat up a room when needed, but trust me you gona be pissing tears of frustration during summer to cool the HID down. a lot of HID owners I know can't even grow during summer..... sooo, LED it is. 😉

When I saw what you busy with, first thing that popped into my head, cause you not using a tent, but rather building a solid room, I see you got extraction sorted, I don't see anything regarding intake? You gona seal the room? Tents usually have passive intakes near the bottom, but if you have a sealed room you'll be suffocating plants if you suck all the air out without letting fresh air in. with sealed rooms active intake is really the only option. so you'll need another inline fan. and need to make a hole for intake aswell as extract. either that or don't seal the room by making passive intakes like tents have, you just need to figure out how to filter the air that passes through there and also block light from coming in there during your dark cycle. 

Active intake = a inline fan pushing fresh air in from outside with a hole the size of the fan you'll be using for the ducting to enter.

Passive intake = a much bigger hole where there is no extra inline fan, but rather the space will start passively sucking air in as the extractor creates a vacuum.

the extraction, for that size, don't go bigger than a 10cm inline fan, and obviously your ducting will have to be the 10cm ducting so it can fit the fan..... anything bigger than the 10cm extractor will be overkill for that space. 

then my last suggestion would be to grab some photoperiod plants and make it all much much much muuuuch easier on yourself. 😉 whatever auto you got the photoperiod of that same strain already exists and you can treat photoperiods like autos and flower them at any size, but you can't treat a autoflower like a photoperiod, and if you try the auto will show you the finger and turn against you. 

autos are for seasoned growers that have their situations fine tuned with no hickups! that's why I don't grow them, yet.

:-stoned

Howzit.

I'm going to do a passive intake and make it variable in the beginning so I can test the draw on the extraction fan. Not sure if that fan can be controlled much... I have a feeling it can only be controlled at higher RPMs to avoid damaging it, I've written to AMS to find out. I was also considering one of those 12v RAMs connected to a battery for loadshedding - haven't decided yet I just need to test the fan I have. It's overpowered for the room size so if I can't slow it down I could alwaysj ust put more bends in the ducting but then I'm using it full speed all the time and it seems like a bit of a waste of power. Will have to put some effort into that soon as the room is sorted. Hopefully the big fan works because with insulated ducts it's super quiet.

I hear you on the auto's, I've grown a bunch before and my best take was 60g. Won't say my worst! Surprisingly nice to smoke some of them. When I first grew a long time ago nobody outside of cultivation new what a Ruderalis was, for me it was like a swearword but these breeders are impressive man, you can get decent smoke out of an auto now. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wingwing said:

Howzit.

I'm going to do a passive intake and make it variable in the beginning so I can test the draw on the extraction fan. Not sure if that fan can be controlled much... I have a feeling it can only be controlled at higher RPMs to avoid damaging it, I've written to AMS to find out. I was also considering one of those 12v RAMs connected to a battery for loadshedding - haven't decided yet I just need to test the fan I have. It's overpowered for the room size so if I can't slow it down I could alwaysj ust put more bends in the ducting but then I'm using it full speed all the time and it seems like a bit of a waste of power. Will have to put some effort into that soon as the room is sorted. Hopefully the big fan works because with insulated ducts it's super quiet.

I hear you on the auto's, I've grown a bunch before and my best take was 60g. Won't say my worst! Surprisingly nice to smoke some of them. When I first grew a long time ago nobody outside of cultivation new what a Ruderalis was, for me it was like a swearword but these breeders are impressive man, you can get decent smoke out of an auto now. 

you can intercept your power line of your inline fans with a potentiometer + capacitor resistor... simple matter of knowing the output of the fan running into an electronics shop and asking for a potentiometer + capacitor resistor that can handle that load and dim it. potentiometer is just the fancy name for a dimmer. then you can control your fan speed with the turn of a knob. 😉

11 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

you can intercept your power line of your inline fans with a potentiometer + capacitor resistor... simple matter of knowing the output of the fan running into an electronics shop and asking for a potentiometer + capacitor resistor that can handle that load and dim it. potentiometer is just the fancy name for a dimmer. then you can control your fan speed with the turn of a knob. 😉

ok thanks, I thought with the single phase motors just a pot wasn'r recommended. Seems to be a bit of info on both sides as to simple dimmers but I'll have a looksee

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 5:40 PM, wingwing said:

ok thanks, I thought with the single phase motors just a pot wasn'r recommended. Seems to be a bit of info on both sides as to simple dimmers but I'll have a looksee

my 10cm inline fan, smallest of the extractor fans, got a pot on it 👍 I use it in my veg tent, can slow her down for higher RH if needed during summer. It never gets shut off completely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 7:14 AM, ORGANinc. said:

you were right about this, I didn't realise how much heat the led array and driver gave off. And with the solid roof and walls and foam over the floorboards it's pretty well insulated compared to a tent so it won't get too cold. I'll definitely move the driver out the space for summer tho. 

• Like 1