Minimum requirements for Growing indoors

SkunkPharm

I think a lot of people think it is to expensive to grow their own plant. Here is my take on the minimum requirements necessary to start. 

Tent: 60x60

The cheapest tent around is the Garden HighPro ProBox EcoPro 60

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/garden-highpro-probox-ecopro-60/

One clip on oscillating fan

https://hydrobiz.co.za/products/15cm-fan?_pos=1&_sid=8356d5aa9&_ss=r

one small extractor fan

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/hydor-wall-or-inline-exhaust-fans/

Light:

https://growopz.com/products/qb-75v2-3000k

10l pot x2

soil: Freedom Farms or Orgasoilux or Organics Matter

yellow stickies to control fungus nats 

This adds up to R3550. Without seeds. 

this may not be the best equipment on the market but you will be able to grow at least 50g of weed with your first grow. That works out to R71 per gram. It is with out electricity but R250 a month is not going to break the bank.

• Like 6

75watt on a 0.6x0.6 is a bit low ^^ 2 of those lamps would do a great job. I use 120w on such a field in my setups... and am rather on the low wattage side. Most prefer 150w on a 0.6x0.6 area / 600w on a 1.2x1.2.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

This is informative for the new grower, but I really think anybody who is considering a budget should rid themselves of the fear and just go buy lights from alibaba, I need to buy new boards because one of them has an issue, and I’m picking up a lm281b 125w board only for 9 dollar, like wtf 🤣  

Anyway, that’s just my opinion, then tent size can be increased because of the money saved, more watts and more space, what else do you need. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

This is informative for the new grower, but I really think anybody who is considering a budget should rid themselves of the fear and just go buy lights from alibaba, I need to buy new boards because one of them has an issue, and I’m picking up a lm281b 125w board only for 9 dollar, like wtf 🤣  

Anyway, that’s just my opinion, then tent size can be increased because of the money saved, more watts and more space, what else do you need. 

Yes there is that option. Minimum requirements. Share links if you guys are giving suggestions please.  

• Like 2

This can become a rabbit hole real quick. With the given parameters of absolute minimum to get something A-grade, on a budget and in a tight space @SkunkPharm has got it pretty thought out. 

I run my 120W at 80W for veg in a 1mx1m tent, so if for example later down the line a person could upgrade and get a bigger tent as a flower tent then keep the 60x60 with the 75W as a veg tent. 

But I do agree, 75W will is a bit thin for flower, but if the hypothetical person lollipops the shit out of their plants they might get a handful of solid heads on top. I wouldn't do el natural either, definitely top. 

I rate we go into what the ultimate growing technique would be for a 60x60 75W grow.

• Like 1

I've seen guys try to flower under white CFLs 😖 I guess quality also becomes a factor, or no? 

you can veg in a flower setup, but you shouldn't flower in a veg setup and conveniently the flower setup will need to be bigger and also cost more, so skip what's needed for veg and only focus on flower. 

how about everything from the first post paired with the 125w LM281b for 9 dollars light? 

60 x 60 x 140 Tent = R950

125w Light = 9Dollar = R150 (probably pluss courier & import fees?)

Clip Fan = R380

Extractor = R495 

Total = R1975

That doesn't seem right, what am I missing? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I've seen guys try to flower under white CFLs 😖 I guess quality also becomes a factor, or no? 

you can veg in a flower setup, but you shouldn't flower in a veg setup and conveniently the flower setup will need to be bigger and also cost more, so skip what's needed for veg and only focus on flower. 

how about everything from the first post paired with the 125w LM281b for 9 dollars light? 

60 x 60 x 140 Tent = R950

125w Light = 9Dollar = R150 (probably pluss courier & import fees?)

Clip Fan = R380

Extractor = R495 

Total = R1975

That doesn't seem right, what am I missing? 

Board only, no driver, no heatsink, no dimmer, no import costs, probably looking closer to a R1400

• Like 1

I will give you the answer to minimum requirements at the bottom of this post. I just started growing indoors a couple weeks ago for the first time in over 10 years again. I swore I would never do it again and then a butterfly flew past. I asked about a year ago what a basic indoor setup would be, I think it was mentioned a budget of 10K. 

@SkunkPharm, those are the real minimum requirements, but there are monthly costs and unforseen costs. Last night for example my budget was blown out the roof, need a pH/EC meter, an airpump, some peroxide and a unit that cleans the air ( ionizer ?? ) , it was even mentioned an air conditioner would be good ( FT aircon and eskom ) . Further to that we needing more rockwool, gladwrap, batteries and the list is like a bottomless pit of money. So my final answer for minimum requirements is balls of steel and a bank balance to match for growing indoors. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Wrong diode.. i wouldn't waste my money on a lm281 light.. way less efficient as the lm301. 301B or H.. forget the rest or if you don't want to go Samsung, choose same tech from a different producer.. just leave the old tech be.. is just old ^^ like HID systems

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Prom said:

Wrong diode.. i wouldn't waste my money on a lm281 light.. way less efficient as the lm301. 301B or H.. forget the rest or if you don't want to go Samsung, choose same tech from a different producer.. just leave the old tech be.. is just old ^^ like HID systems

Yeah I can't disagree with you, however, These diodes will only ever be used at 75% power and that's for first 3/4 weeks of flower. Other than that, I run them 40/45%. yes they still less efficient. But at a 3rd of the price and concisely limited usage, they fit my purpose.  

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Yeah I can't disagree with you, however, These diodes will only ever be used at 75% power and that's for first 3/4 weeks of flower. Other than that, I run them 40/45%. yes they still less efficient. But at a 3rd of the price and concisely limited usage, they fit my purpose.  

The efficiency of a diode is how good she turns electricity into light and heat. The better version, the lm281b is 30% less efficient compared to the lm301b. The normal 281 is even worse. You turn 30% less electricity into light.. don't underestimate that. If you run those lights most of the year, add your Eskom growing bill together for 12 months, then take 30% off and calculate again if they are cheaper. If they bring a new generation I will exchange my lights after a test run.. 30% of my Eskom grow bill (10k x 12 = 120k a year) is 36k.. I get a new set of lights for two 2.4x2.4 from China for that amount of money. So year 2 they already would save me money. And this only counts till the next Eskom price hike, not including the 30% your light is less efficient and needs more electricity.. they go on top to the new Eskom price. 

Cheap is in most cases today not the best choice. Running a light at 75% doesn't change the diodes efficiency rating, you run em cooler perhaps, less heat resistance.. but a light should never run hot anyhow. So 75% or 100% with the same running temp gives you not more heat resistance, is the same. If they get hot.. put a bigger passive cooler on. 

Your diodes will turn electricity into light depending on their efficiency.. the more efficient the less energy they consume to reach the same output in photons. I would always go for new technology when selecting a grow light.. it runs usually 12 to 24 hours a day, flower light, 50% of the months none stop, easy calculation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Old 70 x70 tent, 2 old 50w Vero 29 cobs, 4” in-line fan and a small oscillating fan. 
Quattro Kush F3 clone and a Transkei Landrace from seed. It could be a male but I have another clone that need to veg a bit more before it can go to flower. Frozen Fuel from Square one genetics waiting in the wings.

EF03104F-319B-4AD1-8718-BD5186565C46.jpeg

3823B3F5-707B-4E08-8DCF-ACCE6B1572C9.jpeg

3BC1311E-CEC2-45BE-9A2F-5C376105232D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Fire! 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

This Quattro Kush is amazing. Would definitely recommend everyone grows this at least once.

If you want I can make it available at a local clone bank, they distribute cuts far and wide, this way many many more people get to give it a grow. It sounds like something the clone bank would be interrested in. You know of DaggaFarmacy?

I wouldn't mind growing her out myself, but I got a shit load on my plate right now. good thing about connecting with a clone bank, you always know where to go get that same clone.

• Like 3

On 6/14/2022 at 3:27 PM, ORGANinc. said:

So on the Alibaba thing, I happened to get all my grow lights from aliexpress there:

Samsung LM281B+ LED's - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002970983869.html - I looked at the 150w lights for my Greenhouse for supplemental lighting, their design allows a lot of sunlight through for during the day.

Samsung LM282B, Epistar 660nm IR UV LED's - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003274332963.html - dimable 240w, meanwell driver per light at ~R2900 scalable to 1000w.

Samsung LM301H, Epistar 660nm IR UV LED's - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002547349143.html - same of the unit above, except with the LM301H LED's ~R3550.

Then my lovely babies in my 1.2m tents - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003491913131.html - The 8 bar, 800w (640w actual usage) with separate Spectrum and  IR/UV dimmers.

I have not had one single issue with any of the above items I've ordered and all have arrived in about a week with Fedex or DHL delivery.

The import duties on these are absolutely minimal, I think the most I paid on the 8bar light was about ~R300

-Dave

P.S> apologies if this might seem a bit spammy for my first post, but I been lurking anonymous on these forums for about 6 months now and felt it time to share some info.

Edited by DesignatedDave
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DesignatedDave said:

So on the Alibaba thing, I happened to get all my grow lights from aliexpress there:

Samsung LM281B+ LED's - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002970983869.html - I looked at the 150w lights for my Greenhouse for supplemental lighting, their design allows a lot of sunlight through for during the day.

Samsung LM282B, Epistar 660nm IR UV LED's - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003274332963.html - dimable 240w, meanwell driver per light at ~R2900 scalable to 1000w.

Samsung LM301H, Epistar 660nm IR UV LED's - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002547349143.html - same of the unit above, except with the LM301H LED's ~R3550.

Then my lovely babies in my 1.2m tents - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003491913131.html - The 8 bar, 800w (640w actual usage) with separate Spectrum and  IR/UV dimmers.

I have not had one single issue with any of the above items I've ordered and all have arrived in about a week with Fedex or DHL delivery.

The import duties on these are absolutely minimal, I think the most I paid on the 8bar light was about ~R300

-Dave

P.S> apologies if this might seem a bit spammy for my first post, but I been lurking anonymous on these forums for about 6 months now and felt it time to share some info.

Nice one man, thanks for the share, those grow lights must have surely seen some grows bro! Share a grow with us, Start a grow diary, lets see them girls! 🤩

• Like 1
  • Agree 1