Bonsai weed......

Greetings. It seems like I have grown ( without intention) a single bud!. It's the only auto I've managed so far!. All other auto's (15) in total were a failure.

Now, how far do you think this bud needs to go before I harvest it?........(you may laugh if you wish). It's 9 weeks from seed and smells gorgeous!. Not many tricombes and they are still clear. 

IMG_20220302_152649.jpg

IMG_20220302_152713.jpg

• Like 3

Hellllooooo there. Nice little plant you got going there. No one's laughing. Don't worry. We have all had bumps along the way, especially with autos. I for one am not a fan at all as I have also had sooooo many of my autos fail. Actually every single one failed 🤷‍♂️. I think I am really shit with them. 

So you have answered most of your question already. Clear trichome on the bud is a good indicator that she can still go a little. I think I can see some white pistil hairs on the lower part of the plant. Thats also a good indicator although not the best. Usually I would let the pistils also darken but that is not the best way to check. The trichome turning cloudy and then amber would be your best indicator. But I think youd be ready to harvest anytime soon.

One thing I noticed was the soil you have has alot of bark in. Looks like the potting soil you get from builders, with some perlite mixed in. I have used this soil on its own and have had seriously decent bud grown in it. Better than most outdoor kak you can buy. But learning from the guys on the forum it is probably not the best for Cannabis (too acidic).

Either way. I do think, even if you use the same soil with a photoperiod plant you will get waaaaaaay better results. 

Thanks for the share. Let us know what it smokes like when its done and dried etc. Enjoy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Another 4 to 5 weeks I roughly.

Next time, grow some photoperiods 😄 

Agree. Autos are suppose to be the fad. Unless you have experience with them and dialed them in, i wouldn't bother. Spend a bit of extra grow time and you will be rewarded with a much bigger yield. My biased opinion.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, The Grass Baas said:

Hellllooooo there. Nice little plant you got going there. No one's laughing. Don't worry. We have all had bumps along the way, especially with autos. I for one am not a fan at all as I have also had sooooo many of my autos fail. Actually every single one failed 🤷‍♂️. I think I am really shit with them. 

So you have answered most of your question already. Clear trichome on the bud is a good indicator that she can still go a little. I think I can see some white pistil hairs on the lower part of the plant. Thats also a good indicator although not the best. Usually I would let the pistils also darken but that is not the best way to check. The trichome turning cloudy and then amber would be your best indicator. But I think youd be ready to harvest anytime soon.

One thing I noticed was the soil you have has alot of bark in. Looks like the potting soil you get from builders, with some perlite mixed in. I have used this soil on its own and have had seriously decent bud grown in it. Better than most outdoor kak you can buy. But learning from the guys on the forum it is probably not the best for Cannabis (too acidic).

Either way. I do think, even if you use the same soil with a photoperiod plant you will get waaaaaaay better results. 

Thanks for the share. Let us know what it smokes like when its done and dried etc. Enjoy

Thanks for the excellent input!.

I sure have learnt a lot on my first grow back in SA. Had absolutely no problems with Auto's when I grew a few years back in Spain. The summer months there were longer and the weather generally more stable!. Man,......it can get quite harsh down here in the Klien Karroo. I am considering growing in the ground next season with carefully mixed substrate AND photoperiods!.

Friend of mine quite literally grows 'Trees' in soil and now has nickname of Forest 😆.

Photo shows my other efforts.

Photoperiod seeds from my friend. Only started at Christmas so I never expected much. The plants are small however I really didn't expect to get this far so anything is a bonus. 

Your comment on soil is well noted and understood 👍.

Have a groovy day .........

IMG_20220303_071327.jpg

IMG_20220303_071410.jpg

• Like 2
  • Fire! 2

8 hours ago, Furbrain said:

Thanks for the excellent input!.

I sure have learnt a lot on my first grow back in SA. Had absolutely no problems with Auto's when I grew a few years back in Spain. The summer months there were longer and the weather generally more stable!. Man,......it can get quite harsh down here in the Klien Karroo. I am considering growing in the ground next season with carefully mixed substrate AND photoperiods!.

Friend of mine quite literally grows 'Trees' in soil and now has nickname of Forest 😆.

Photo shows my other efforts.

Photoperiod seeds from my friend. Only started at Christmas so I never expected much. The plants are small however I really didn't expect to get this far so anything is a bonus. 

Your comment on soil is well noted and understood 👍.

Have a groovy day .........

IMG_20220303_071327.jpg

IMG_20220303_071410.jpg

Awesome man. I am a big sucker for outdoor and gosh, with a scrog?! Im salivating. Very nice setup you have there. 

I have zero experience with the karoo to be honest. I cant wait to see what you get from those 3 plants. Please share when you finish them. And growing in the ground is definitely a great way to grow trees, like your forest friend. I think it could be a really interesting excercise prepping your soil in the ground. I have a friend which preps every year and grows monsters from these beds that he creates. I think he uses sleeper logs about a meter or more deep and then fills it with goodness to the top. Lets it settle for a couple months and then plants. Doesnt supplement with anything and has really really good results. I look forward to seeing what you have planned. 

Have a lekker one and good luck with those good looking ladies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Furbrain said:

Man,......it can get quite harsh down here in the Klien Karroo.

I am very interested to see how your grow turns out, now and following. I have often pondered moving off into the Karoo, even Klein Karoo. My following thoughts were naturally whether the conditions would work well for cannabis. 

It would be super dope if you could post your temps and humidity every so often please 😬

4 hours ago, The Grass Baas said:

Awesome man. I am a big sucker for outdoor and gosh, with a scrog?! Im salivating. Very nice setup you have there. 

My outdoor knowledge is limited but this thread is tickling my fancy :investigating

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 9:23 PM, Ill_Evan said:

I am very interested to see how your grow turns out, now and following. I have often pondered moving off into the Karoo, even Klein Karoo. My following thoughts were naturally whether the conditions would work well for cannabis. 

It would be super dope if you could post your temps and humidity every so often please 😬

My outdoor knowledge is limited but this thread is tickling my fancy :investigating

I think it's the stability of the weather more than anything!.

I'm still trying of ways to protect from the HEAVY downpours we get. It doesn't happen often but I HATE having to cover with a Tarpaulin. Already Hermes started in 3 plants (bummer). They have been dumped 😆.

Suggest you get weather app for checking temps/humidity down in this neck of the woods. Information is quite accurate. Temps are coming down now and humidity looks reasonable for flowering (around 45%). 

Loads of mistakes but gaining knowledge. I 'pinched' 2 plants above only the 4th node and it shows how much more green I could have had if it had been pinched above 5th or 6th node!.

As you can see, my posts are spasmodic at best. Will update in around a week. I have another experiment to try.

I've never scrogged before so still learning. If the plants had been started earlier and I had topped/pinched them correctly I think the net would have been substantially filled with more green.

Just had Solar fitted to house and should have around 500W extra per hour for small indoor grow in addition to existing outdoor one. That will be interesting!.

Anyhow, have a lekker Sunday and I'll post update soon....ish.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2022 at 4:57 PM, The Grass Baas said:

I have zero experience with the karoo to be honest. I cant wait to see what you get from those 3 plants. Please share when you finish them. And growing in the ground is definitely a great way to grow trees, like your forest friend. I think it could be a really interesting excercise prepping your soil in the ground. I have a friend which preps every year and grows monsters from these beds that he creates. I think he uses sleeper logs about a meter or more deep and then fills it with goodness to the top. Lets it settle for a couple months and then plants. Doesnt supplement with anything and has really really good results. I look forward to seeing what you have planned. 

Have a lekker one and good luck with those good looking ladies.

Thanks for info Grass Bass.

It's definitely something to consider!. Perhaps 2 in the ground and 3 in pots utilizing my existing setup. I like alternatives just in case there's a problem with either grow!.

My forest friend grows in a large tunnel. No worries for heavy rain but shit does it get hot in there sometimes!😅.

Life itself is an experiment....

Have a groovy day.....

• Like 2