Life Insurance and Cannabis

Slartibarfast

1 hour ago, Slartibarfast said:

Hi, I am currently in process of applying for life insurance. The question of taking cannabis in the last 10 years came up and I answered yes.

Does anyone know what the implications of this are and any advice around further questioning?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Honestly not sure, however I suspect higher premiums for "drug use".

In their eyes, it is not seen as medicinal. Quite sure on this, unfortunately. 

I was advised by my broker to say no to any "drugs".... State that I do not smoke.

• Like 3

Honestly not sure, however I suspect higher premiums for "drug use".
In their eyes, it is not seen as medicinal. Quite sure on this, unfortunately. 

I was advised by my broker to say no to any "drugs".... State that I do not smoke.
In hindsight I feel a bit stupid for saying yes to that question. But they got me when they said they will be conducting medical tests before starting with the questions.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Slartibarfast said:

In hindsight I feel a bit stupid for saying yes to that question. But they got me when they said they will be conducting medical tests before starting with the questions.

Nah, I understand - you don't want to be caught lying.

If you say yes, then it is something you won't have to worry about if they ever do test for it.

Let us know how it goes, for interest sake 🙂 

• Like 3

You did the right thing.
Last thing you want, is to make a claim, and get denied payment because it comes out you falsified your documentation. 
You'll lose everything then, not just credibility 
Agreed, plus it is legal now. I just feel annoyed they grouped in with narcotics and cocaine, very disappointing to hear. They'll call tomorrow, I'll update here after.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Slartibarfast said:

Agreed, plus it is legal now. 

Well cannabis isn't actually legal yet, just the other day at the SONA Cyril was talking about "We are going to fast-track policy and regulations for the use of cannabis for medicinal use, especially in the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal"

https://businesstech.co.za/news/trending/557190/south-africa-to-fast-track-regulations-for-the-local-cannabis-industry/

Edited by Khakibos
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Well cannabis isn't actually legal yet, just the other day at the SONA Cyril was talking about "We are going to fast-track policy and regulations for the use of cannabis for medicinal use, especially in the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal"
https://businesstech.co.za/news/trending/557190/south-africa-to-fast-track-regulations-for-the-local-cannabis-industry/
Jeez, I thought it was.

36 minutes ago, Slartibarfast said:

Jeez, I thought it was.

It's a strange wonderland of grey area. The entire Constitutional Court judgement in 2018 originated from a Rastafari lawyer who wanted to smoke cannabis and still practice law, but because how the law works, if you defy the law, you technically can't be a lawyer. So on a fundamental principal of privacy, they ruled that people in South Africa may consume cannabis in private. 

Even so, it is not legal, because they haven't written the laws and regulations yet. But also, it is not illegal, because the relevant laws which previously dictated the illegality of consuming cannabis have been suspended. It is 100% still illegal to sell cannabis though... [did someone say donation?]

So insurance, for example, can do whatever their internal policies dictate because nothing has been made concrete yet. 

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
10 hours ago, Greybaard said:

Are there any marijuana friendly insurance companies in SA?

For what purpose? To purchase cannabis products on your insurance plan? You can already do that via the Medicines Act. You'd have to get a prescription from a doctor and then only use cannabis products provided by a registered pharmacy that stocks medicinal cannabis.

One such place is THC Africa run by the De Beers. Yes, those same De Beers.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting beach to me Ill_Evan.

No, I meant getting life insurance at a reasonable cost and not being penalised for using Cannabis. I was honest in my medical assessment and because of my love for the herb was quoted a premium double that of my wife, who doesn’t use it.

Not surprised really that de Beers have a hand in what is a multi billion dollar industry in the states. Hope they spread some of that licence love around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Greybaard said:

Thanks for getting beach to me Ill_Evan.

No, I meant getting life insurance at a reasonable cost and not being penalised for using Cannabis. I was honest in my medical assessment and because of my love for the herb was quoted a premium double that of my wife, who doesn’t use it.

Not surprised really that de Beers have a hand in what is a multi billion dollar industry in the states. Hope they spread some of that licence love around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, life insurance for men are about double that of women. They have a higher risk profile. But they classify it as smoking. And smokers present an insurance company with higher risks thus the higher premium.

• Like 1