Cape Town Cannabis Cup 2022

THCSA

When attending 420 events one of the most frequent questions I get is "when are you gonna do another D-Day or Amber Cup?"
So I grabbed the bull by the horns when an opportunity presented itself.

The Cape Town Cannabis Cup will be taking place on Saturday the 26th of March in the heart of The Mother City.
This is conveniently on the same weekend as the Cannabis Expo and will make the most of top shelf local and international guests.

Am putting a lot of effort and expense into making this a V-High-P experience.

Here's the info for tickets, sponsorships and how to enter.

https://thehighco.co.za/the-cape-town-cannabis-cup-2022/

• Like 3
  • Fire! 4

2 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Cool man, so do you just bring any random bud and people can judge it?

Only 10 cultivars will be entered and they will be selected before the event. There will be an element of first come first in for entrants. But quality is the top priority when making our pre-selection.

Entrance for the cup will be minimum 50g of 1 cultivar. 

The judges will get to try each of the 10 and vote for their favourite 1.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, THCSA said:

Only 10 cultivars will be entered and they will be selected before the event. There will be an element of first come first in for entrants. But quality is the top priority when making our pre-selection.

Entrance for the cup will be minimum 50g of 1 cultivar. 

The judges will get to try each of the 10 and vote for their favourite 1.

So entrance is 50g minimum of a selected 10 cultivars that people may or may not be growing as the cup is no more than 2 months away. If that's the case, its highly unlikely I will be able to participate. All the best!

• Like 1

I agree that a couple more months notice would be ideal. Will definitely take that into consideration for 2023.

We have judges passes available online. It will be great way to spend a day and get an idea of what your competition will be like next year.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, CreX said:

10 samples of 50g each... 

500g worth of Marijuana... 

For one day? Are there like 200 testers or where is the rest of the bud going? 

Yip, 500g for 100 judges.

This is cup where the judges get to toke not just look and smell.
Entrants are welcome to take back any leftovers.

Would rather have a little too much bud than way too little. It also leaves a little room for that fattest buds to be displayed.

Doubt that everyone will get through their 5 grams (10x0.5), although some certainly will.

What do you think is a fair number?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, THCSA said:

Would rather have a little too much bud than way too little. It also leaves a little room for that fattest buds to be displayed.

Doubt that everyone will get through their 5 grams (10x0.5), although some certainly will.

Considering there are 100 judges, I do not feel it is a crazy amount. As you said 5g of bud per judge in total for the day.

Yielding 50g from a plant is not unreasonable. Obviously will vary depending on the way the plant was grown and training done etc.

However one can easily yield 50g from a plant, perhaps even more... I assume the 50g could even come from 2 plants, which are the same strains (ideally same pheno)?

100x judges also makes it a bit more fair, helps rule out bias from a small group of judges who may just happen to have a preference towards certain terps for example.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, THCSA said:

Cool cool thanks for the clarification yo! Will there be an online presence for those not in Capetown? A live testing vibe or something? I'd love to see what is out there and how the judges weigh up terpines, bag appeal, high and smoke of some of the greatest bud in SA. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, CreX said:

Cool cool thanks for the clarification yo! Will there be an online presence for those not in Capetown? A live testing vibe or something? I'd love to see what is out there and how the judges weigh up terpines, bag appeal, high and smoke of some of the greatest bud in SA. 

Eish brah, we just gonna have to smoke and fly down sometime. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, THCSA said:

So this is based on a capped number of 10 entrants, is this correct? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, THCSA said:

does this mean some people will be sending you 50g with the chance of not being selected for the comp? 

or are you guys taking the first 10 entries no questions asked?

• Like 2

Lol , I'm so confused. I don't think they will take any random bud from anyone. There seems to be somewhat of a vetting process where the bud must qualify for entry into the competition, I think by means of a picture or something. And then 10 seats, if it is 10, I don't think it will be a good representation of the best bud in SA. 10 people is just too little and 100 judges is just too much 🤣 I think you can draw out bias with 25 judges, get more entrants, tell them to bring less bud, I don't know, just another option. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CreX said:

There won't be an online stream or anything like that.

There will however be some post event content. 

The judging cards will take into consideration terps, bag appeal,etc. But each judge will need to select their favourite and vote for it. 

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

does this mean some people will be sending you 50g with the chance of not being selected for the comp? 

or are you guys taking the first 10 entries no questions asked?

Only the selected entrants will need to send in their 50g.

No. The 10 best will be selected. If some one enters after the selections they will be too late, unless the herb is worth making an exception for and adding. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ORGANinc. said:

Lol , I'm so confused. I don't think they will take any random bud from anyone. There seems to be somewhat of a vetting process where the bud must qualify for entry into the competition, I think by means of a picture or something. And then 10 seats, if it is 10, I don't think it will be a good representation of the best bud in SA. 10 people is just too little and 100 judges is just too much 🤣 I think you can draw out bias with 25 judges, get more entrants, tell them to bring less bud, I don't know, just another option. 

I don't use words like "best" as it may offend someone.

If I had to consider every opinion I would never get anything done.
10 strains is a reasonable amount to judge in one afternoon/evening. 0.5g of each strain is also a fair amount to review.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORGANinc. said:

Or maybe this isn't really the place for finding participants and that's already sorted, we can count on a pre-selected bunch of A-grade growers, all 10 of which are some of the best in SA 😎 All you gotta do is go smoke some bud and confirm such!

The cup is open for anyone to enter or be a judge. I don't use word's like best when discussing events.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, THCSA said:

Only the selected entrants will need to send in their 50g.

No. The 10 best will be selected. If some one enters after the selections they will be too late, unless the herb is worth making an exception for and adding. 

aha 👍 

how does one go about getting nominated? and who judges that? 

the 100 judges also first come first in and any ol' Joe can enter, like my uncle who never smoked weed before? 

33 minutes ago, THCSA said:

I don't use words like "best" as it may offend someone.

🤣 people getting offended by everything, we are way too soft these days! When it's a competition there shouldn't be a problem with those terms, if a person wants to get offended when placing themself in a judged-by-the-public situation, they will just have to get over it and learn from the experience. hopefully it helps them grow and rise to the occasion so they can better themself. 🤓 those that don't learn naturally gets weeded out over time, because no one likes a overly emotional person with a bad attitude.

we all get offended by different stuff, but who cares? we can't all bend over backward everytime someone gets a little butthurt about their feelings.

2 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Or maybe this isn't really the place for finding participants and that's already sorted, we can count on a pre-selected bunch of A-grade growers, all 10 of which are some of the best in SA 😎 All you gotta do is go smoke some bud and confirm such!

there is such a huge hidden network of big time growers right under our noses. every corner I turn I hear about some big time grower I never knew about. it's safe to say that Cape Town has some very serious growers. the likes of which this forum doesn't see too often. 

I sometimes forget that people have been growing and selling super dank weed around CPT for years and years and years and those growers or their children are still around doing big things. they just don't care to make themselves known. 

looking at some of the other grow competitions I see people and names I've never heard of, always asking myself "where did this guy come from all of a sudden" forgetting that every big time grower has a number of years of experience behind them, but what they do right is keeping quiet. operating in silence. 

then they wait for competitions like these and just pop out to steal the show 😅

• Like 4
  • Agree 1