Anyone tried a Trim Bag?

Dookie69

I’m hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has tried using a Trim Bag to trim their dry buds.

I can’t find a minimum bud size that is recommended.

I’ve also noticed when searching, that some vendors have an unbranded version for around 2k whereas others have the branded one at between 4.5 and 5k ex courier.

Can anyone tell me if the bags are identical or is the cheaper one a poor quality knock-off?

• Like 3

Shake Shaking GIF by HULUI saw that also. Not too many reviews around on the net that i've seen. Interesting concept. Just can't get to terms with shaking/twisting my fragile trichome loaded buds around in that thing and ending up with a damaged harvest after months of hard work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dookie69 said:

I’m hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has tried using a Trim Bag to trim their dry buds.

I can’t find a minimum bud size that is recommended.

I’ve also noticed when searching, that some vendors have an unbranded version for around 2k whereas others have the branded one at between 4.5 and 5k ex courier.

Can anyone tell me if the bags are identical or is the cheaper one a poor quality knock-off?

Hey man. 

I have one of the branded Trim bags. To be honest, I have no clue wether the quality would be the same or not with the cheaper one. I could only imagine that it works just as well. It's actually quite a simple idea. Friction from the material of the bag rubs off the sugars and fans. If you are trimming more than 500g a time and often, I would recommend it. Also note that there is probably quite abit of trichome damage and if you look you would notice it. But to the general public, it makes a nug look reeeeaaaaaal good. Depending on the strain, size, how dry etc. It all plays a role in wether this bag works. I have found it to work well with harder nugs and even from as small as about 1cm nugs to the giants. It will trim them all. It gets about 90% of the work done. If you do not care too much about what the trichome damage would look like under a microscope, then go for it. I also think of you are going to do extractions with the left over trim, the friction might leave behind a bit more smaller particales of plant matter and most probably would show in your colour of your extract.

Hope this helps a little

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Weskush said:

I saw that also. Not too many reviews around on the net that i've seen. Interesting concept. Just can't get to terms with shaking/twisting my fragile trichome loaded buds around in that thing and ending up with a damaged harvest after months of hard work. 

13 hours ago, The Grass Baas said:

If you are trimming more than 500g a time and often, I would recommend it.

It's definitely a solution for quantity in my opinion. If you're a one-man operation doing more than one big flower tent at a time and you don't have the hours in the day to do the big trim work, it's definitely a helper. 

I can imagine that the trim you get out of a Trim Bag will have more trichomes come out with it due to the method used. So you might lose some trichomes on your buds, which at the end of the day might be quite negligible in terms of its effect or high, but you'll gain somewhat with your trim I think. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Agree with the above and also contradicting my previous comment on these bags😬Unless you're supplying to a dispensary or growing purely for bag appeal, knocking off a couple of trichomes to save loads of time and effort, probably wouldn't make such a huge difference in your end product. The purists way of thinking i guess. I'm willing to give it a try, but not at R2000/R4500 a pop. Come to think of it. Does anyone know where to rent one of these or those bowl trimmers?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Weskush said:

Come to think of it. Does anyone know where to rent one of these or those bowl trimmers?

I know of only one place that rents them and that's a place called Hydro Cult in Moreleta Park in Pretoria. This was before the pandemic though and I haven't been there since, but the point is that there are places that would rent them out. 

• Like 5

the trim bag works really really well.

you have to play around with a few things like, how dry yur bud is when it goes in - too wet and the bag does little, too dry and you stand tha chance of rubbing your nugs past the point you want.

next is how long to tumble for - less tumbling means slightly more work on the hand pass , more tumbling can produce really nice nugs.

how much per tumble are you going for - 30g tumble works fine, but the more you put in the bag to tumble at a time makes the tumble process faster and generally has nicer trimmed buds.

the end user wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a bad hand trim and a good tumble job.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

I know of only one place that rents them and that's a place called Hydro Cult in Moreleta Park in Pretoria. This was before the pandemic though and I haven't been there since, but the point is that there are places that would rent them out. 

Aaah the boys from Hydro Cult... Nice... 

Bought some of my very first growing supplies through them. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, that’s why this forum rocks. I think I’ll give it a go. I’ll probably be loading 150g per tumble, as I like to keep each plant in its own bottle. Some of the nugs are quite small, but most are fairly dense. It’s going to save me a shed load of time….

• Like 4

The Trim Bag works well, but there is a learning curve!

As @CreX said, too wet and it does not do much. Too dry and it works, but you need to make sure you do not overtumble it when it is very dry. You actually want the bud to be pretty dry and then rehydrate it afterwards. I find this works the best.

If there is too little bud in the trimbag, it does not work as well. If there is too much in, then also it does not work as well.

The number of "tumbled" or "rotations" will also determine how your bud ends up looking. Tumble it a lot and you start to take away the outer of the bud and you get a more rounded looking bud - some pics on Instagram have this look to them. Generally this leads to les trimming and more just neatening up and getting rid of some crowfeet.

Less tumbles can still remove A LOT of trim and leaf, however leave you with a bit more to trim by hand but will give you more of a hand trimmed look with a lot less effort. Trichomes do not take as much of a knock when done this way.

So there is a learning curve, once you get the hang of it - it works well and can save you a lot of time. I doubt you will notice any difference in terps of potency when using the trimbag compared to a hand trim... unless you really go overboard and start tumbling your bud into a powder. lol

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I own one, and used it once

Love it, but my plants are small, and not enough to use in the bag to get a good working, and therefore still hand trim.

But a large amount, and your sorted out.

It hardly does much more damage than anything else, but yeah you'll have some waste. 

Dry buds, properly dry, are best.

I'm also selling mine, if you interested. 

The cheaper one, is made local, and not the same in my opinion. 

• Like 3

I own one, and used it once
Love it, but my plants are small, and not enough to use in the bag to get a good working, and therefore still hand trim.
But a large amount, and your sorted out.
It hardly does much more damage than anything else, but yeah you'll have some waste. 
Dry buds, properly dry, are best.
I'm also selling mine, if you interested. 
The cheaper one, is made local, and not the same in my opinion. 

So you have the original brand TrimBag? I am interested, I’ll send you a message.
  • Like 2

The Trim Bag works well, but there is a learning curve!

As @CreX said, too wet and it does not do much. Too dry and it works, but you need to make sure you do not overtumble it when it is very dry. You actually want the bud to be pretty dry and then rehydrate it afterwards. I find this works the best.

If there is too little bud in the trimbag, it does not work as well. If there is too much in, then also it does not work as well.

The number of "tumbled" or "rotations" will also determine how your bud ends up looking. Tumble it a lot and you start to take away the outer of the bud and you get a more rounded looking bud - some pics on Instagram have this look to them. Generally this leads to les trimming and more just neatening up and getting rid of some crowfeet.
Less tumbles can still remove A LOT of trim and leaf, however leave you with a bit more to trim by hand but will give you more of a hand trimmed look with a lot less effort. Trichomes do not take as much of a knock when done this way.

So there is a learning curve, once you get the hang of it - it works well and can save you a lot of time. I doubt you will notice any difference in terps of potency when using the trimbag compared to a hand trim... unless you really go overboard and start tumbling your bud into a powder. lol

I’m trying my hand at Hash (cold water and bags) later this week. I’ll hopefully be able to use the trim from the trim bag for hash.
  • Like 4

I’m trying my hand at Hash (cold water and bags) later this week. I’ll hopefully be able to use the trim from the trim bag for hash.
That is my plan, just need to get off my ass and find time to turn my trim into some hash.

Got everything, just need the time to do it now. Haha

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Agree 1