Grow tent equipment...

Furbrain

Greetings.

I'm in the process of installing solar to my house. A previous thread explained my concern over how much power a small growroom tent would require. I have since doubled my existing output and now feel confident to run a small setup.

Ive had to compromise but will have approximately 5Kw allowance for my grow.

So here's the thing. I need a list of equipment for a 2.4x1.2 tent. All equipment needs to draw +/- 500W combined. (Ballpark).

LEDs , fans etc and anything else you can think of. 

1Mtr tent is just too small so I'll try a 2.4Mtr one.

I was hoping for maybe 3 plants in 20ltr pots????.

I need to keep things as simple as possible. I'm sure there are hundreds of different ways to grow!. My first indoor grow so I would like 'simplicity' if possible.

Thanks in advance......

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 3:30 PM, Totemic said:

You could easily do 4 plants in 20l pots in just 1m2. This will also keep you in your target wattage

Just the lighting needed for 2.4x1.2 is already practically 1kw(4 x 240w) then at least 200-300w for all your ventilation needs. 

Many thanks Totemic. Great answer!. I have a baseline now.

The 1 M2 tent is the compromise. I'm just trying to imagine 4 plants in there?. I grew quite big plants in 20l pots before, and reckon each one was close to 1 M2. Pardon my ignorance on that one. 

I better get my arse into gear and fit solar first. Looking forward to trying a grow indoors!

Will start looking for some gear soon.

1.0x1.0 Tent,

Extractor fan size/wattage??

LEDs wattage/suggested type?

Dehumidifier?

Passive intake or fan?

Anything else you think I need?

Really appreciate your help. Sorry for delay in responding. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 4:51 PM, SkunkPharm said:

I agree 1x1 is plenty.

extraction fan

2 x oscillating fans

Small dehumidifier 

240w Led light

Thanks Skunkpharm,

Do you have any suggestions for equipment please. What size/make of fans etc .

I suppose you can't mention brands on the forum but any information would be great.

Cheers....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Furbrain said:

Thanks Skunkpharm,

Do you have any suggestions for equipment please. What size/make of fans etc .

I suppose you can't mention brands on the forum but any information would be great.

Cheers....

It all depends on your budget range. There are really expensive products but then there are really cheap products. 
when you buy a tent look for one with metal corners. They last the longest. And always be careful with the zips. Mars hydro is a good midrange tent.

Fans: the clip on fans are probably the best when it comes to tents. Hydrobiz is the cheapest. Look for the pole clip on fans

extration fan: buy an in-line fan you can get a decent inline fan at AC/DC. My little one has been running for 4 years non stop, except when we have load shedding.

Dehumidifier: Check secondhand shops and liquidation businesses. You can pick one up for 2500. 

lights: well that is up to you. LED’s will last you at least 5 years. So buy good quality. Growopz is a good place to start looking for lights. The is also a couple of startups I think @MrEmay be doing lights bar style and @Light It Up does quantum boards.

Edited by SkunkPharm
  • Like 2

I doubt you will need a dehumidifier. For me, the biggest concern for pm/mold is when I lose power and the plants have to marinade in above 90% humidity with no air movement.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to stick with the 240 x 120 tent and then take a phased approach to extra power and lights. This way you won't need to buy a new tent when you inevitably level up.

• Agree 2

All good and well about the dehumidifier. But it also depends where is SA you live. Any where along the coast you will have issues with PM especially if you are beginner. 

another thing 

Grow in soil for your first couple of grows. It is way more forgiving than the nutrient/hydro techniques. Invest in Explogrow it may seem expensive but you will not regret it. Research seed sprout teas as a feed if you want to feed your plants. Also buy a small air pump. You can air rate  your water with it and brew all the teas you will need. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

something often put aside - is your IPM management supplies.

growing invites lots of critters into the environment, some are good, some are bad...and the bad ones are the tough ones to get rid of.

a few products that are invaluable would be the following

Pyrol 

spinosad

350sc

coppersoap

and a good wetting agent

these should keep your happy growing experience....happy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, CreX said:

something often put aside - is your IPM management supplies.

growing invites lots of critters into the environment, some are good, some are bad...and the bad ones are the tough ones to get rid of.

a few products that are invaluable would be the following

Pyrol 

spinosad

350sc

coppersoap

and a good wetting agent

these should keep your happy growing experience....happy

Eco BB is also your friend spray your plants drench your soil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

All good and well about the dehumidifier. But it also depends where is SA you live. Any where along the coast you will have issues with PM especially if you are beginner. 

another thing 

Grow in soil for your first couple of grows. It is way more forgiving than the nutrient/hydro techniques. Invest in Explogrow it may seem expensive but you will not regret it. Research seed sprout teas as a feed if you want to feed your plants. Also buy a small air pump. You can air rate  your water with it and brew all the teas you will need. 

Yeah, I forgot about coastal regions.

• Like 1

Everyone forgets about Milbeknock when it comes to IPM. It is quite literally a super miticide. Breaks down in 4 days. Translaminar so penetrates through the leaf to kill on the bottom as well. Kills all mite species in all stages of development. One application and done. Is effective even with a non-lethal dose. No tolerance buildup.

• Like 3

@Furbrain Tent, you could fit 18x 20L pots inside a 1.2 x 2.4m tent. Not saying you should, but you can and many have flowered with that many plants.

More plants in the same space often means smaller plants and therefore quicker veg times, at the same time you don't want to overcrowd your grow space as light penetration can become an issue.

It is nice to have the larger space and fill it up as you start to grow more as opposed to having to sell your current equipment and buy more. So upto you on this, however 3 to 4 plants in a 1.2 x 2.4 is either VERY large plants and long veg times or loads of space still available.

Fans, I use RAM fans (rather cheap) and AC Infinity (pricier). Both seem really good.

For air movement, I like to use box fans as they seem to last longer.

Dehumidifier is a nice to have, but not always necessary - start without one and if it becomes an issue get one. I like the GMC dehumidifiers, well pried and work well.

Tents, well, I say avoid Mammoth. Mars Hydro tents I believe are good and price is not bad. I really like my Budbox tent, but a little more pricy.

Secret Jarden is also not bad, just their Hydro Shoot range take a knock in terms of quality.

As for lights, well, there are loads of options. I use Quantum Boards, but there are lots of options. So you need to decide what might work best for you. The vendors on our forum have lights at really good prices.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1