Decided to start growing my own!

Dread

Hi all

Found the forum as I am looking to start growing my self. I have been using extracts and edibles for a while to help with stress, anger and anxiety.

Not to big a fan of getting too baked and mostly like it for the medicinal properties.

Hope to have a awesome time on the forum and learn as much as I can.

Regards

Dread

• Like 7
  • Fire! 1

13 hours ago, CreX said:

Welcome dread, what kind of grow style are you aiming for?? 

Looking to grow some of nature's finest under nature's finest? (the sun) 

Or looking to be a bit more secretive and set up something indoor? 

I'm looking at growing outdoors for now and not to concerned about yield and getting the maximum out of the plant, that will come with time and experience.

I have some seeds to start off with and planing on planting them in 15L pots so I can move the plants in and out if it gets too cold or rains for too long. I got the seeds from my sister in-law she makes her own extract from buds and with that makes a oil I use and she makes edibles as well.

I want to start making my own extract and thought to also grow my own cannabis, take out the middle man! Then I can control every aspect of my own product. I'm leaning more towards the high CBD plants I have been looking at some seeds that I want to try but think playing with what I have now and getting some experience and then spend the money to grow specific strains.

If I do it now I fear I'll be trowing money in the drain, the seeds I have no idea what strain or if they are more THC or CBD. I have however rolled a joint with the bud and was a nice feeling of calm and relaxation and I was not baked but just mellow witch I like a lot, but not as effective as the oil and I don't like to smoke as I quit cigarettes about 5 years ago. 

• Like 4

Welcome @Dread !

From Carb?

Outdoor growing, well, currently we're in the flowering part of the season. So you can get some seeds going however plants won't end up as big and yield might be slightly on the lower side but still worth while to get a harvest in before it is too late.

You can always make a quick purchase of some seeds if you'd prefer to know what you are growing, or use this to just gain some experience before winter comes.

If you do not like getting too stonned, then some high CBD strains could be good 😄 

As a beginner, I would suggest getting some nice soil which has been tried and proven to work well for cannabis. Incorrect soil can lead to lots of frustrations and issues - best to spend a little more and avoid these issues as a beginner. Once you know what you're doing, you can start to experiment a bit more. Freedom Farms Classic (green bag) is very popular and commonly used. You can also reuse your soil, no need to toss it out after a grow.

If you are unsure about anything, members on the forum will help guide you through your grow to ensure some success. 

• Like 2

Just thinking of using loam soil? my local nursery has and I’ll get some 20l pots then.

I also have some plant Nutrients not sure the brand but it is the one I water the bonsai with once every week or so.

The seeds are currently in between some cotton. I did put them in water and waited for them to sink before I put them between the cotton.

I have some time today to go to the nursery so going to check what they have and I need.

My shopping list is as follows:

Small pots for planting the seeds when they sprout there first root. 4-8pots

Bigger pots 20l at least 4

Enough soil for the pots

Lemon juice to spray the plants if they get some mould or insects (was reading it works well diluted 30/70 with water)

If anyone has something I missed please let me know!

Just a f.y.i only thing I have grown is some jalapeños and I have a Red Maple bonsai witch I bought 😀

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Welcome @Dread !

From Carb?

Outdoor growing, well, currently we're in the flowering part of the season. So you can get some seeds going however plants won't end up as big and yield might be slightly on the lower side but still worth while to get a harvest in before it is too late.

You can always make a quick purchase of some seeds if you'd prefer to know what you are growing, or use this to just gain some experience before winter comes.

If you do not like getting too stonned, then some high CBD strains could be good 😄 

As a beginner, I would suggest getting some nice soil which has been tried and proven to work well for cannabis. Incorrect soil can lead to lots of frustrations and issues - best to spend a little more and avoid these issues as a beginner. Once you know what you're doing, you can start to experiment a bit more. Freedom Farms Classic (green bag) is very popular and commonly used. You can also reuse your soil, no need to toss it out after a grow.

If you are unsure about anything, members on the forum will help guide you through your grow to ensure some success. 

Hi Yes from carb

I think I am going to stick to the seeds I have now and not stress to much about it, this wil be my first grow and don’t want to buy seeds that I will probably end up wasting, this is just for the trail and some experience.

I’m also not to concerned about the yield have done a bit of reading on the subject and need to see wat a female and male plant looks like, what the growth cycle is and what I can and can not do that will impact the plants.

My end goal is to grow some nice bud that I can use to make some extract with but I’m in no rush and will enjoy the hobby and see if it is for me or not. I am motivated to grow for the reason the oil I can by is quite expensive and I see why, think the feeling of doing it your self and succeeding is a rewarding one.

• Like 3

in that case man, you are reaaally in the right place!!

that Loam soil im not 100% sure about - but what i do know is cannabis does not like soils that compact easily - so if it does compact , i would get some coco and perlite or either of the two to help loosen up the soil.

nutrients should be okay... i know bonsais dont require too much feeding, but in saying that, my first plant grew in a bonsai soil and it was AMAZING!!!

get those seeds into the pots as soon as you can and put them in a sunny spot - preferably from dawn till dusk kinda sun

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dread said:

Just thinking of using loam soil? my local nursery has and I’ll get some 20l pots then.

I also have some plant Nutrients not sure the brand but it is the one I water the bonsai with once every week or so.

The seeds are currently in between some cotton. I did put them in water and waited for them to sink before I put them between the cotton.

I have some time today to go to the nursery so going to check what they have and I need.

My shopping list is as follows:

Small pots for planting the seeds when they sprout there first root. 4-8pots

Bigger pots 20l at least 4

Enough soil for the pots

Lemon juice to spray the plants if they get some mould or insects (was reading it works well diluted 30/70 with water)

If anyone has something I missed please let me know!

Just a f.y.i only thing I have grown is some jalapeños and I have a Red Maple bonsai witch I bought 😀

Yeah, give it a try if you'd like. Make sure there is little to no bark / wood as this often makes the soil too acidic for cannabis.

I have yet to find a nice soil mix which I'd use for cannabis (other than the cannabis specific ones) and this goes for my house plants as well - so I often mix some coco and perlite with a bit of compost or potting soil as house plants often aren't as fussy with the bark as cannabis can be.

Some soils are too hot for cannabis seedlings and you can burn your plants. I do not know what soil your nursery stocks - perhaps consider doing a bit of a test. Get some soil from your nursery for some plants and get yourself a bag of some soil commonly used for Cannabis and see how the results differ (if they even do).

I have seen many new members try grow in soil from their nursery and end up with lots of issues and they end up demotivated because of it, it can also be a nightmare to try and nurse your plant back to health and correct the issues.

Stay far, far away from Culterra.

I plant seedlings straight into 20L pots, however you can start in smaller pots and pot up when needed.

Nice! I have a red lace leaf japanese maple, recently put it into the ground as well as a normal japanese maple and then also a liquid amber.

That Bonsai nutes will likely suffice for veg, in flower you may want something with more P though and a decent amount of K.

Not sure about lemon juice working for pests, maybe for PM as it will lower the PH of the leaves but take it as it comes. Everyone has a different growing environment, so what works for one may not work for the other or the situation may differ.

For now - take it as it comes. There are many ways to grow cannabis, there is not necessarily a right or wrong way.

You need to find what works best for you. People can give you advise and guidance and say what works well for them or what may work well for you and your situation, end of the day you're the one doing the growing and it needs to work for you.

Maybe take a look around the forum, view some of the grow diaries and see what issues some members ran into and how they resolved the issues etc.

• Like 2

I ran into a guy at the nursery that happen to hear what I was going to use the pots and soil for and he grows himself and helped me out with some recommendations.

Got 2 20l pots and 8 smaller ones.

4 bags of coco peat

2 bags of loam soil

a bag of silica sand but its more like small rocks, same size as the airlite

and a bag of airlite.

mixed it all up and filled the pots so I just need to wait for the seeds to sprout a root and I’m ready to plant.

Thanks for all the help I will start a new thread and post to it as I go. 

• Like 4

image.thumb.jpg.99a582ecb9005a03fee417c172fe27ec.jpg
The Pokon nutes aren't the cheapest.

For veg, you can get away with buying some Seagro and using that.
For flower you'd want to move away from the Seagro and over to something with lower Nitrogen and higher Phosphorus.

Edit: what else works well I believe which a few members have done is started using the Talborne slow release pellets and mix that into their soil and I believe get away without feeding nutes during veg.
Of course if you notice deficiencies, you can always start adding more liquid nutes then as well.

• Like 2