Funky outdoor situation...

John Stonedwell

Morning folks,

I need help from some of our outdoor growers please. I have a buddy that's busy with an outdoor run but something funky is happening to the plants.

I have never seen the specific symptoms he is having and not sure whether it has to do with the crazy humid and rainy weather we are having in Gauteng.. is it mold? Or is it something different?

Buds don't seem to be directly affected but the stems are... he is now systematically losing all his outdoor ladies to this shit.. any advise or input will be appreciated. 

Pics:

IMG-20220119-WA0005.thumb.jpg.e91078e0a3b0a02081876d81dc25eb78.jpg

IMG-20220119-WA0006.thumb.jpg.c945e67647e9c8b01191bdce7f89e097.jpg

IMG-20220119-WA0007.thumb.jpg.59da1aeb0a86a9cb3af72467e29bf672.jpg

IMG-20220119-WA0008.thumb.jpg.6755b1fd6ce058c34fc72df210c45ae2.jpg

IMG-20220119-WA0009.thumb.jpg.37198cdd12498c54d8170c7b8831d36d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

fuuuuuugg mate 😬 

that's something you don't see everyday, though it's really something that can happen to the best of us!

I've seen this with many other plants, first time for me seeing a big cannabis plant going through it. a good 6 times out of 10, I pop the plant out the pot and open up the roots to find some off smell or discolouration on the roots indicating fungal infection, if it's a fungus that need negatively affect the host in order for it to thrive we call it a parasite. 

it's hard to say if this happened because of poor root zone activity or mismanagement of root zone. only the grower himself will know if he over watered that plant, that could be the case. if he got poor dranage in the pot that might be the case, if you got anaerobic soil that'll create favourable conditions for any unwanted fungal spores to take host. 

the other 4 times out of 10 there is no signs at the roots, so we cut away the infected areas, but it never semed to work as the parasite has already entered the plant somwhere. sometimes it can even be through cut branches. it can even be through the leaves if there is a bunch of spores or particles present of some unwanted pathogen, if the condition is right they'll do their thing.

I would say, try cut away infected areas, then get a systemic fungicide that gets taken up by the roots. be carefull not to over water, rather give less water over longer time so the medium doesn't ever stay wet for too long. long periods of excessive moisture will put him back in square 1. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you guys for all the feedback. 

Gotta love this community always willing to help out and share knowledge. I thank you for that.

I will have a chat to my mate to see what preventative measures we can take to avoid losing his whole crop to this shit.

All the inputs were valuable and will be put to good use. Hopefully we can help him save the rest 

• Like 2

That is Fusarium sp. or Fusarium wilt. Soilbourne pathogenic fungus, enters the plant mostly via the roots, blocks the xylem channels and symtoms usually appear during flower. 

Do some googling, its a bad one to have and can spread easily.

Cut and burn all affected plants, they will not recover. Been there done this.🤬

Soil can be treated with trichoderma beneficial fungus preparations. Ecobuzz rootpro seems to have worked for me.

• Fire! 3

1 hour ago, Bos said:

That is Fusarium sp. or Fusarium wilt. Soilbourne pathogenic fungus, enters the plant mostly via the roots, blocks the xylem channels and symtoms usually appear during flower. 

Do some googling, its a bad one to have and can spread easily.

Cut and burn all affected plants, they will not recover. Been there done this.🤬

Soil can be treated with trichoderma beneficial fungus preparations. Ecobuzz rootpro seems to have worked for me.

Like a Bos(s)!!! Thanx a lot man. That is a snapshot of the problem we needed. Much appreciated

38 minutes ago, John Stonedwell said:

Like a Bos(s)!!! Thanx a lot man. That is a snapshot of the problem we needed. Much appreciated

Fusarium occurs naturally in soil ( where all is in equilibrium, its kept under control naturally ) as it is part of the rhizosphere flora, but under certain circumstances it can become a serious problem. 

There seem to be some links between high Nitrogen ferts, overwatering and heatstress. Only a few suggested soil treatment methods exist, like solarization, peroxide sprays, fumigation and fungal treatments, all with varying degrees of efficacy and practicallity. Mostly its suggested to discard the soil (for potted grows) as the fungus can remain dormant in your soil for years, the success rates of the different treatment methods are debatable. To be safe, DO NOT compost any infected plant material or soil that hasn't been treated.

There is a LOT of literature on the web, as its a serious issue in commercial farming around the world.

Culled and burnt many trees last year, it was a sad situation. After a lot of research and consultation with other local growers, trichoderma was suggested as it consumes other fungus.

My applications have been done to my soil and growbeds and so far only have one potted plant that seems to show symptoms. Will burn it tomorrow.

Strongs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire! 1

1 hour ago, Weskush said:

@John Stonedwell same marking on stem as per your post. This is from my DP plant's one main stem. Some of the heavier branches has bruising from leaning against the cage but growth is so fast at the moment that i can't tell the difference unless i see it spread to other parts of the plant🤞

Yeah man for your sake I truly hope that it is only the cage that left its mark. Terrible fungus this thing and kills with no remorse...

Keep us posted man but I have got my fingers crossed for you!

• Like 1