Competition please?

Fire

There are 2 problems with competitions as I see it , not speaking g first the site just my 2 cents.

First off unfortunately competitions don't help with inactivity,  the few people they attract are often just here for the competition and once it's over ypu never see them again and from what I have seen it doesn't really help getting activity from current members

Second is the cost involved , no one will sponsor a compo on a forum that isn't very active so it would be up to 420SA to pay for it on top of what the site already costs

They had a spring compo 2 months back that had a 600w digital ballast up for grabs and the entries were really really low considering it was an awesome prize , think there were 6 entries. 

Members need to make the site active and the competitions will come in am sure 

Just my 3 cents

Cheers

GLO

There are 2 problems with competitions as I see it , not speaking g first the site just my 2 cents.

First off unfortunately competitions don't help with inactivity,  the few people they attract are often just here for the competition and once it's over ypu never see them again and from what I have seen it doesn't really help getting activity from current members

Second is the cost involved , no one will sponsor a compo on a forum that isn't very active so it would be up to 420SA to pay for it on top of what the site already costs

They had a spring compo 2 months back that had a 600w digital ballast up for grabs and the entries were really really low considering it was an awesome prize , think there were 6 entries.

Members need to make the site active and the competitions will come in am sure

Just my 3 cents

Cheers

GLO

I tend to agree @GLO

I think a small part of the problem is Anonomity. I personally don't want some of my cannabis smoking friends to know that I grow my own, even though we use Avatars. So I wouldn't suggest the website to all my friends. Maybe admin can consider targeting a more global audience. :poke

Guest kimcarsons

Competitions don't just have to be about publicity. I think even with low interest, the competitions that have been run have been greatly appreciated. Just because there aren't a million entries doesn't mean that someone gets a deserved prize that they need. It is as much about building the community. We can't sit and complain about the lack of growers when nobody wants to make the effort to invest in growing new growers. We all started from scratch once upon a time and I know from experience, if I had won something like a ballast, it would have saved me a long winding road of mistakes. So it is always good to holding competitions imo, even if it is won by someone  who never visits the site again, surely the "overgrow" mentality has triumphed?

It is as much about building the community. We can't sit and complain about the lack of growers when nobody wants to make the effort to invest in growing new growers.

From my little experience so far on these forums, as a new person looking for information and help on how to grow, you're met with immediate skepticism. I also really think the forums take anonymity too seriously, as one of the others posters mentioned. If you want to protect your identity and have privacy that is your right, but those who do not wish to do so should be able to use the forums openly (not as an anonymous person). They should just fully understand the risks that entails though. This is a bit off-topic so my apologies for that, but a competition does sound like a good idea. The obvious problem is first finding a sponsor for the competition, but also ensuring that the newer growers who do not have that much experience can participate in the competition and stand a chance to win the prize. The criteria for winning shouldn't be set too high. Just my two cents. Obviously the sponsor of the competition would decide on these type of things.

From my little experience so far on these forums, as a new person looking for information and help on how to grow, you're met with immediate skepticism. I also really think the forums take anonymity too seriously, as one of the others posters mentioned. If you want to protect your identity and have privacy that is your right, but those who do not wish to do so should be able to use the forums openly (not as an anonymous person). They should just fully understand the risks that entails though. This is a bit off-topic so my apologies for that, but a competition does sound like a good idea. The obvious problem is first finding a sponsor for the competition, but also ensuring that the newer growers who do not have that much experience can participate in the competition and stand a chance to win the prize. The criteria for winning shouldn't be set too high. Just my two cents. Obviously the sponsor of the competition would decide on these type of things.

Hi Jellytot

Could you please elaborate on the skepticism you have received on the forum? Were members rude and unhelpful? Perhaps your living situation is unsuitable?

With regards to anonymity on the forum there is one clear point you need to keep in mind. Cannabis is still illegal in SA.

Never attach your real persona to anything on the internet that can incriminate you. Your info may be passed onto the cops or the cops may see it themselves and then you're stuffed. We can't have a situation where posts on this forum are being used as evidence.

Why would you want to use your real persona anyway Jellytot? Making friends in a place like this is highly not recommended :-hilarious

@kimcarsons you make some good points bud

@Jellytot I would not recommend you or anyone giving personal details to anyone on the forum , as 420SA said it's still illegal for now. Trust me though I will be the first one to shout my name from the rooftops once it's legal , I have been living the lie for decades and am sick of it but for our own personal safety it's not time yet

I completely understand the rationale behind not giving out personal information. What I'm saying that is from an activity point of view this might be the cause for low activity. Maybe, (and it's important to note, maybe), allowing people to decide for themselves if they want to reveal personal information, even if it's only to one or two close members on the forums, then forum administration should maybe allow them to do so? If they fully understand the risk involved of course.  That's basically what me and the other poster were hinting at. For some anonymity is a good thing, for some it might drive them away from the forums. I understand the rationale behind the rules of the forums, but maybe allowing users the right to choose for themselves might be a better option. From an activity point of view.

@420SA I haven't found that members are rude or disrespectful to anyone, including myself. I have just noticed skepticism and that does have to do with my 'unsuitable' living environment, but asking for good advice and getting snarky remarks instead is not what this forum is supposed to be about. We are all here for advice, information and to share experiences, whether that be successful or failed attempts at growing. Or am I wrong?

"Snarky remarks"  this is most likely the best growers around meaning we smoke the best weed so try not to take everything so seriously......smile, laugh, engage an joke about remarks.

Indeed here you will learn how to grow but also to mix with different personalities.

The way you phrased that comment did sound tho like you have more than weed to hide in your home...growing shrooms in your freezer or something lol  point is jelly baby shake it off there was no harm intended in it buddy.