Cannabinoids and Covid

Morning folks.

I came across this very interesting article relating to a certain cannabinoid acid that can bind to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein that can essentially block the virus from infecting human cells. 

The study was done by researchers at the Oregon State University and just goes to show how far behind we are at understanding all the numerous medicinal benefits of the range of cannabinoids that the plant has to offer. 

I have to be honest it is quite irretating for me that there is no real political will globally to embrace the study of the plant more aggressively as we are only at the tip of the proverbial iceberg at understanding the numerous benefits that one can find in the plant.. 

Here's the link if you wanna have a read..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10395689/Cannabis-compounds-stop-virus-causes-COVID-19-entering-human-cells-study-finds.html

Have a blazing day folks.

• Like 1

I must've been smoking the wrong strain when I got sick! 😆 Or maybe it acted like a vaccine and prevented serious illness 🤔

1 hour ago, John Stonedwell said:

I have to be honest it is quite irretating for me that there is no real political will globally to embrace the study of the plant more aggressively as we are only at the tip of the proverbial iceberg at understanding the numerous benefits that one can find in the plant.. 

I think there is a will, they just want to squeeze out what they can of the embedded pharmaceutical industry first. Have you noticed a general attitude change towards big pharma as we get deeper into this 'pandemic'? I wouldn't be surprised that they want the reputation of big pharma to fall a bit so they can start introducing their "new and organic" range of cannabinoid health and medicinal products created at scale as means of propping themselves back up as the conscious heroes they are :investigating

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

I must've been smoking the wrong strain when I got sick! 😆 Or maybe it acted like a vaccine and prevented serious illness 🤔

Or it was the right strain all along 😆 the complexities of the human endocannabinoid system and our understanding thereof is still in its infancy. 

25 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

I think there is a will, they just want to squeeze out what they can of the embedded pharmaceutical industry first. Have you noticed a general attitude change towards big pharma as we get deeper into this 'pandemic'? I wouldn't be surprised that they want the reputation of big pharma to fall a bit so they can start introducing their "new and organic" range of cannabinoid health and medicinal products created at scale as means of propping themselves back up as the conscious heroes they are :investigating

100% on point man. It is a cabal of profit seeking organisations with only self interests and market share in mind. We have already seen big pharma dable in  the CBD space and with the endless money flow at their disposal one can reasonably assume that once they enter the market full steam all the smaller players (that do their work based on ethics and integrity) will be relegated to the bottom of the food chain. 

Such an intricate topic that can be debated ad nauseam...

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also been following this a bit. So it’s mainly CBGA and CBDA that blocks the vid, and unfortunately heat from smoking or decarboxilation applies heat and converts the acid to CBG AND CBA.

Extracting the acids seems to be done in water to keep temps low and prevent the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Haha! Same thing. Smokers are considered in the group of risk, but I haven't got any symptoms throughout this quarantine period. I live near the Calgary dispensary, and I was five minutes away from this shop, so I always had fresh weed at home. I was smoking every day because I didn't need to go to my job. I was afraid because I knew that smokers are at risk of getting infected by COVID, but I am very happy that now I found out that canabis is helping to avoid this disease. It again demonstrates that cannabis is the ultimate medicinal plant.

Edited by Flipperock
  • Like 1