Curing Mistake #1 that really messes up your smell and taste.

Bay Seeds

So about four weeks ago we had a harvest and I gave 2 of my friends a few wet trimmed branches of freshly harvested plants to dry and cure on their own. I'm at about two weeks since placing them into jars and burping twice a day. They are really smelling yummy and I will probably start smoking them soon. So we are at his house for a braai and he brings out his jar and its smells like shit. Like cheap outdoor. I realized after talking that he only dried it for a week before placing it into a jar. He said after he put it in the jar it got wet again and again so he would throw it onto a tray to dry for a few minutes every time. He also burped the jars twice every day. 

You're better of overdrying weed than jarring it with too much moisture in the bud. When you close that jar you lock in the moisture. Big companies freeze-dry cannabis and then jar them with 2-way humidity packs. Just trust me on this one. Dry the plants till you can easily snap the stems. Not kink, not click. Dry snap. You want to slowly dry the plant until it's ready to jar. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

The Greenhouse Seed Company guys recommend drying very slowly in humidity controlled room for 2-3 weeks then packing into paper bags at 8-10 degrees celsius for 3-5 months to remove the chlorophyl and other particles for the best taste. I personally used the Aeradix humidity controlled bags for curing my last grow and it works perfectly for larger amounts. Paper bags was used with high success 10 years ago and can still be used but if temps are too high it will dry your buds like biltong. ✌️

Edited by Weskush
Added info
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

5 hours ago, Prom said:

80 rand at hydroponics.co.za 😉

16375093024296358133205473569530.thumb.jpg.5522ebe6cc7a694eb5c2b9f29f4b438c.jpg

no guessing... between 60 and 64%, otherwise you have to do something. No need for a freeze dryer... 

These little hygrometers and the boveda packs are life savers !

But a freeze dryer ! 🤤 fresh frozen buds for making dry sift or using it to dry fresh frozen bubble 🤤

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Prom said:

80 rand at hydroponics.co.za 😉

16375093024296358133205473569530.thumb.jpg.5522ebe6cc7a694eb5c2b9f29f4b438c.jpg

no guessing... between 60 and 64%, otherwise you have to do something. No need for a freeze dryer... 

what changed your mind about these? I can remember you asking me why I would want to use these when I asked where to get them? 😅 

I got mine online for R30. hydroshop is crazy with their prices for these. 

• Haha 1

Uses less bags. 😁

I changed my drying procedure a "little", and get the plants to 62% as fast as i can, without using any dehumidifiers or AC. Once i have em on 62% steady for 3 days, take all helpers out of the jar and lock to cure. My over all goal is to never drop below 58% but reach the 62% as quick as i can. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Martin7318 said:

Holy crap, that's a long time 😅. Will the difference really be worth so much extra time?

It is a long time. Try it with a section and compare it to faster cured bud.

I still have some bud thats been curing in mason jars with Boveda packs for well over a year and allthough the colour changes a bit to a more golden brownish green, the terpene profiles and taste only get smoother with time. Effects didn't deteriate at all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Martin7318 said:

Holy crap, that's a long time 😅. Will the difference really be worth so much extra time?

for us home growers, we will never know lol.

the only true test would be a whole harvest (same plant for the whole test) that gets sampled at 10 days 20 days 30 days and so on.

i think i saw a study a while back that says the scent and aroma of the bud can improve if kept in a cool environment for a few months, and the bud should be fully decarbed by that point naturally so it could be good. you could even eat the bud and get high after a few months due to that natural slow decarb process

there are anecdotes about the bud being smoother, more rounded, a fuller experience 

to me, its about the same experience as drinking a 3 year old whisky, or a 25 year old whisky - they both taste very similar still, and the one wont get you drunk faster than the other - its more about the subtle nuances that the mature bud can offer you

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Khakibos said:

You mind sharing a link ? I was looking at getting more for a new drying cupboard and the cheapest I could find was the R80 ones from hydroponics.co.za

going through my emails to find you the link real quick, 😁🤙will post you asap

I have to mention it was on a website that just links you to suppliers or stockists and had 50 different options with 50 different prices. I had to search quite deep to find that price and it's not to say that it will still be the same, but R80 for one is not something I will pay.

a quick bidorbuy search presents ones for R50, already R30 off each. alibaba presents many options gona see if I can find you something

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CreX said:

the only true test would be a whole harvest (same plant for the whole test) that gets sampled at 10 days 20 days 30 days and so on.

also has to be a blind test to add more accuracy and less chance for any bias. 

I've smoked weed that was a clone grown by multiple growers and myself and I liked their stuff better and the only assumption I can make is that I've smelled and tasted my own bud much more than their stuff so just having less exposure to it makes me like it more 

I have 20 months cured weed in jars. Is a different world of smoothness.

We made a few curing experiments, 2 weeks, 2 months, 5 months, 9 months, 18 months. After those curing times the weed clearly changed in flavors too, beside getting smoother and smoother to smoke. After 9 months THC starts to slowly decompose, but still hits you very hard. Very little left of the 20 months cured amnesia haze but smell and smoke is just top class.

• Like 4

Drying and curing is very important! I do not feel anyone can argue there.

Boveda's are awesome though. I ain't got time to burp multiple jars each day, stick a boveda in and be done with it.

I rehydrate my bovedas as well when they start drying out - I have yet to have to throw away a Boveda.

Unless you have a way to safely rehydrate your bud, I feel you should try avoid overdrying it as it can become harsh (in my experience) and a Boveda will never rehydrate it fully back to the state where it is sticky enough to stick to other bud.

Also the way you smoke your bud determines who wet one likes it, personal preference comes into play - just like how it does with biltong. Not everyone likes wet biltong. Some like it dry dry.

You will also never get wet biltong in a prepacked bag.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martin7318 said:

55 minutes ago, CreX said:

i think i saw a study a while back that says the scent and aroma of the bud can improve if kept in a cool environment for a few months, and the bud should be fully decarbed by that point naturally so it could be good.

39 minutes ago, Prom said:

I have 20 months cured weed in jars. Is a different world of smoothness.

We made a few curing experiments, 2 weeks, 2 months, 5 months, 9 months, 18 months. After those curing times the weed clearly changed in flavors too, beside getting smoother and smoother to smoke. After 9 months THC starts to slowly decompose, but still hits you very hard. Very little left of the 20 months cured amnesia haze but smell and smoke is just top class.

I have found that the sweet spot for my best cured weed has been 6 months, this also correlates with the majority of research I have picked up. The weed us fully decarbed, the THC has not started deteriorating yet, and the bud is super smooth.

Only problem is harvesting enough weed that I can cure for long enough! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Khakibos said:

Shot, I didn't even bother checking bidorbuy !😅🤦‍♂️

hahahah yeah as growers we tend to forget that there are other suppliers around that sell these things! I asked around for these, was told to check the pet shops that stock reptile enclosure stuff, so I did... and found heatmats at a way better price than our grow shops sell them for too 🤷‍♂️ 

so here is the thing brobean, I am having a typical monday over here and will get back to looking for the exact place I got my hygrometers from when I am home tonight, can't seem to find it right now, but what I did find was an offer on amazon that comes down to about R23 to R25 each, but it's a 12 pack and it's coming from the US. that means the whole pack is R273-ish excluding shipping and import fees. 

they ask $16 for shipping and import fee deposit, this is fucking rediculous, but I hope it means there wont be any import fees when your package reaches customs, but the only way to tell is to place the order and see what they say? 

Screenshot_20211122-104659_Ecosia.thumb.jpg.085593d80614a02f78b2f5d9b74cd030.jpg

the R273 for the pack of 12 plus, and the R256 for shipping all the way from the US is still almost half the price of the R80 for 1. say you wana buy 10 you have to pay R800? craaaaazy

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Martin7318 said:

I'm rather interested in this process if you wouldn't mind sharing?

its pretty simple actually.

i take an airtight jar, large enough to fit a cup of water in it (literally the cup and the water, not a cup of waters worth of water) 

i start with hot water, seems to work fine - although i have noticed that as long as there is water, it will work, regardless of temp.

i place the cup of hot water in the center of my large jar, and then put all the bovidas into the jar, at the bottom of the large jar, around the cup of water.

it is important that you dont let the bovida get wet by the water, this will damage the 2 way breathable fabric.

and thats it - check in a week and see the condition, and if its all gooey again with no hard bits in it, its ready to go and be used again.

be careful that you dont completely forget about them either tho! - bovidas have a weight on them when you buy them, this weight goes right down when the bovida is spent, but the weight climbs back up when its hydrated again, i try stick to no more than 10-20% heavier than the standard weight.

8g bovida dries out to like 5g, i rehydrate to 10g and then reuse.

68g bovida dries out to something like 50g, and ill rehydrate it to 70-75max and reuse

• Thanks 4