DYI Cloud light controller

Ponica

Hey,

Thought I'd share what I built.

Over time I developed an IOT platform which allow people to register and integrate their micro controllers over HTTP/MQTT

Turns out it works great for my grow tent.

Using this platform I created this custom light controller which can control up to 4 10A lamps over MQTT. At the back there is a toggle switch which will toggle between online and off line mode. In offline mode the knob in front controls the 4 channels, all the way to the left is off and the more you dial it to the right the more LEDs comes on 50watt at a time. Enclosure was 3d printed.

When in online mode it connects via MQTT to https:// Littlenodes.com  you can create sensors and switches , I also added integration with Alexa in the form of a virtual button which can be triggered via a URL, Which in turn triggers an alexa routine.  So if you have a sensor and any of the parameters goes out of range it can trigger alexa to say something like "Warning temperature sensor out of range!"

1.png

And a little sensor box that measure lux, temp and humidity.

humidi.png

And to top it off a dynamic image that will show live readings in my tent. So when ever you refresh this page it will show live readings updated to 1min ago.

temp.php

3333.png

Bit over the top and maybe a little bit gimmicky but hey!

• Like 5
  • Fire! 1

13 hours ago, Ponica said:
Hey,
Thought I'd share what I built.
Over time I developed an IOT platform which allow people to register and integrate their micro controllers over HTTP/MQTT
Turns out it works great for my grow tent.
Using this platform I created this custom light controller which can control up to 4 10A lamps over MQTT. At the back there is a toggle switch which will toggle between online and off line mode. In offline mode the knob in front controls the 4 channels, all the way to the left is off and the more you dial it to the right the more LEDs comes on 50watt at a time. Enclosure was 3d printed.
When in online mode it connects via MQTT to  you can create sensors and switches , I also added integration with Alexa in the form of a virtual button which can be triggered via a URL, Which in turn triggers an alexa routine.  So if you have a sensor and any of the parameters goes out of range it can trigger alexa to say something like "Warning temperature sensor out of range!"

1.png

And a little sensor box that measure lux, temp and humidity.
humidi.png

And to top it off a dynamic image that will show live readings in my tent. So when ever you refresh this page it will show live readings updated to 1min ago.
temp.php

3333.png

Bit over the top and maybe a little bit gimmicky but hey!

Awesome work man wow, keep it up.

Dont know whats up with the format but good work man, very interesting

Edited by PsyCLown
Formatting has been fixed

@Ponica Very nice! May be a bit gimmicky, but it is a project and something fun.

Perhaps it could develop as times goes on 😄 

Remote access to adjust lights might not be needed much or often but nice to have, remote monitoring of the  temp and RH is useful.

Lux as a measurement in generally isn't of much use, if you could monitor the PPFD that would be far more useful but even then not necessary really and won't be cheap either.

9 hours ago, CreX said:

@Ponica nice work man!! sounds like a seriously nifty controller you have there! out of interest, how much would this set one back if they were to get it built like you did?

Not that much, NodeMCU ESP9266/32 cost around R200 or R90 if you buy just the chip without USB (Not recommended) Relays are also cheap im guessing about 20 buck a piece for 5V/10A
Add some wires and enclosure.

7 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

@Ponica Very nice! May be a bit gimmicky, but it is a project and something fun.

Perhaps it could develop as times goes on 😄 

Remote access to adjust lights might not be needed much or often but nice to have, remote monitoring of the  temp and RH is useful.

Lux as a measurement in generally isn't of much use, if you could monitor the PPFD that would be far more useful but even then not necessary really and won't be cheap either.

So the ability to control remotely is kind of the basis and what the platform was designed to do in the first place . Scheduling is just a feature on top of it.

The light sensor is handy to know when the lights are actually on or off. Had a look at some PPFD  sensors. Seem like they go for around 200 bucks. Will look a bit more into it.