New StrainHunters launch

Chris Jay

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, sorry yes, unreleased. The first episode should be released sometime December, and there will be 3 episodes in total. We watched 1st episode on Sunday in a barn, on a broken projector, bad sound, with about 10 or so stoners. Grungy. Funny enough, this morning my farm is like a strain hunters HQ, we going through amazing Congo footage at the moment. Making movies. 

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Chris Jay said:

Hey, sorry yes, unreleased. The first episode should be released sometime December, and there will be 3 episodes in total. We watched 1st episode on Sunday in a barn, on a broken projector, bad sound, with about 10 or so stoners. Grungy. Funny enough, this morning my farm is like a strain hunters HQ, we going through amazing Congo footage at the moment. Making movies. 

Please share that footage once done good sir. I love a good strain hunt and the exploration of cannabis through different geographical areas

• Like 2

Please share that footage once done good sir. I love a good strain hunt and the exploration of cannabis through different geographical areas

The congo footage will take sometime to release, its an interesting fringe independent project that some guys are doing. Pondoland will start being published this coming month.   They sitting around my kitchen table right now discussing it. Going to ask them if I can upload something for ya all. 

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chris Jay said:

This is a flippen lekke, id settle to be a fly on the wall. Nice one bro!😁

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love strain hunters and their story, I did a lot of strain hunters watching when I was much younger.

I believe the existance of the show holds a lot of water when discussing the "landrace" topic... and that is that not any ol' Jimbo with a internet connection can get their hands on the stuff, if they really know what they looking for. chances are if people knew what landraces are, they probably wouldn't wana grow them... 😅 you gotta be at the tippy top of the cannabis game to be taking part in that conversation. if you have to resort to buying seeds, especially from seed banks, you'll be lucky enough if you get something that's got a landrace not too far back in its lineage and hasn't been crossed too many times to try and closely resemble something that once was a landrace.

in this video alone they speak of searching for landrace, infact that's the premise of the whole show - you can go in the mountain and grab a hand full of seeds and there you go, you have landrace. but is that what you wanted? no, no one wants that. what people want is that special ONE, perhaps it doesn't even exist in the field, yet. but has to be crossed and searched out. that's why they bring landraces back to the lab, because they wana breed and cross with the stuff, they themself don't even want to grow "the landrace".

landraces are only worthy when looking at some charactaristics of said race. meaning it contains some preferred genetics that still need to be isolated. not the whole plant. when you isolate genetics is it still a landrace? nope. 

people that have been in the game for long enough to be considered "the King of Cannabis" know this fact. 

even around the 15:00 mark in this video a literal seasoned mountain growing Guru tells Arjan Roskam straight to his face "we have lost the local landrace"... just let that sink in for a second. who are we to argue or deny that? 

what's funny to me is that those guys would spend so much time, money and effort on physically traveling to different continents for specific reasons when apparently there is a easily accessible online archive that has all the highest regarded landraces that "eeeeeeeveryone is looking for" in storage, ready to go at the click of a button 😅😅

• Like 1

@Naughty.Psychonaut Nobody wants to grow landraces. Us humans have been trying to grow better plants (not just cannabis) for a looong time now and we have managed to get it right multiple times and have ended up with "improved" crops of all sorts over the years.

Bigger fruit, better fruit, more enjoyable etc. etc.

Selective breeding has been going on for a loooong time, it also takes a long time to get a crop to where you'd like it to be.

I do not understand the infatuation some people have with landrace cannabis strains... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I get the fact that majority of home growers would not like to grow it, or would not like the experience even if they got the chance to grow lets say a African landrace that takes like 14 - 16 weeks to flower and then you end up with string weed.

But when it comes to the cannabis industry they are really important, especially in terms of research for medical use even rec. For breeding I mean its always good to have them for whatever reason, they could possibly become the building blocks to something completely new in the future.

Edited by Khakibos
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I do not understand the infatuation some people have with landrace cannabis strains... 

couldn't have said it better myself

49 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

@Naughty.Psychonaut Nobody wants to grow landraces.

this forum is such a select few of us out of the thousands of growers out here in SA, yet I've even seen people asking for landraces on here. couldn't keep count on all my fingers and toes how many times I've heard it in person aswell and I have yet to meet all the growers in SA. 

36 minutes ago, Khakibos said:

But when it comes to the cannabis industry they are really important, especially in terms of research for medical use even rec. For breeding I mean its always good to have them for whatever reason, they could possibly become the building blocks to something completely new in the future.

very true! this is why I love strain hunters and what they do, they're perfect for the job and I assume there are quite a few guys contributing to the preservation of genetics and for that we are all thankful, but imagine the bricky at the build site talking bout building skyscrapers and bridges in his backyard, it's possible, but sounds a little funny and is going to take some time. 😅 

maybe it's just me worrying too much about nothing hahah 🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

but imagine the bricky at the build site talking bout building skyscrapers and bridges in his backyard, it's possible, but sounds a little funny and is going to take some time. 😅

It got us this far !😆

The industry still has a way to go, but it has come quite far in a relatively short time. We can only hope we keep moving forward and see improvement ....

Edited by Khakibos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

@Naughty.Psychonaut Nobody wants to grow landraces. Us humans have been trying to grow better plants (not just cannabis) for a looong time now and we have managed to get it right multiple times and have ended up with "improved" crops of all sorts over the years.

Bigger fruit, better fruit, more enjoyable etc. etc.

Selective breeding has been going on for a loooong time, it also takes a long time to get a crop to where you'd like it to be.

Fully agree with you.

I think it might be more due to the allure of the plant in its original form, untouched by humans, that drives the hunt for landrace species.

It's like someone harping on about the good old days. Fair enough that might not be the quality that you would like to smoke or use but to see a plant as close as possible to its original unaltered state must be something special to behold. 

For me I wouldn't want to grow or smoke it but would love to walk in a field of cannabis that is relatively untouched by hybridisation or external influence. It's like botanical archeology 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamDave said:

Is it just local wild cannabis.

Not really, landraces are domesticated varieties. Just extremely isolated and inbred for generations to the point where they have adapted to the region they are grown in 

edit: I'm not botanist so my explanation is super simple 😅

I'm trying to find a link I have about wild vs landrace vs cultivar but I can't seem to find it 🤦‍♂️

2nd edit: I can't find the link but basically if we talking about a starting point in the breeding evolution or whatever it goes wild > landrace (domesticated/cultivated by humans) > cultivars (selective breeding for desired traits). I might be wrong extremely wrong !😆

Edited by Khakibos
  • Like 1

Not really, landraces are domesticated varieties. Just extremely isolated and inbred for generations to the point where they have adapted to the region they are grown in 
edit: I'm not botanist so my explanation is super simple
I'm trying to find a link I have about wild vs landrace vs cultivar but I can't seem to find it
2nd edit: I can't find the link but basically if we talking about a starting point in the breeding evolution or whatever it goes wild > landrace (domesticated/cultivated by humans) > cultivars (selective breeding for desired traits). I might be wrong extremely wrong !

Thanks. It's a start to the learning process.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Nobody wants to grow landraces. 

Mostly everyone, but for decades people have looked after, shared and grown landrace seeds from remote places. They change in appearance, unstable and a bitch to grow. 

even around the 15:00 mark in this video a literal seasoned mountain growing Guru tells Arjan Roskam straight to his face "we have lost the local landrace"... just let that sink in for a second

Watch that part again, listen to Arjan sniff and go hmmmm,OK. Watch it again. Ruben is one of the top growers in that region of PSJ, and great musician, good man. Grows some of the dankest bud I have ever seen. 

Its exciting to grow something unique, especially our landrace in SA. The world is looking at our local landrace because of the high prevalence of THCV, unique to our part of the world. I think studies have been done about this since the early 80's, but everyone was mostly focused on THC. 

there is a easily accessible online archive that has all the highest regarded landraces that "eeeeeeeveryone is looking for" in storage, ready to go at the click of a button 😅😅

I wish it was that easy for people, there are online catalogues, but only a couple that have done the real work and documented their findings. Sadly these seeds are not available with a click of a mouse button. 

Great discussion, opinions and debate. Have you guys seen the online debate taking place on Facebook, about biopiracy, stealing landrace and how GHS has no integrity, how do you feel about that?

• Like 1

Watched it, not as great as the Moroccan or India one. Even in those older episodes the growers were actually growing GHS seeds and there were no landraces to be found, so even back then growers knew that growing landraces couldn't compare to the hybrids bred in labs/ basements.

I miss Franco in the episodes, that guy was really passionate about cannabis, and I don't feel the new teams love for the plant. These are businessmen and it's pretty evident going by the amount of brands that GH seeds now has, (including GH medical at the end of credits) that they are pushing to get their brand out there and be number 1.

End of the day, these episodes only serve to promote their existing seedbank and rightly so, it's a business, I just don't like how they sprinkle medical terms around. Are they focused on medical strains now or just here to cash in on our decriminalization?

Any link to the debates going around?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Batista said:

it's a business

Exactly this. 

GHS was the original hype in my opinion 🤣  Arjan basically founded the American weed culture of hype sells, get some rappers/singers that are popular to name drop it and it will sell

edit: I don't dislike them or anything, have never really grown anything from them. But I do love watching their strain hunter shows for fun and would like to try out their stuff. Would def buy a pack if they has certain strains in reg.

Edited by Khakibos
  • Like 2

Piss cool to see the guys producing these seeds and their passion for cannabis. That part where they talked about humidity was very insightful. Popped 3 and only 2 germinated. Seeds just feel better than clones. You get to pick your winner and each one is slightly different.

IMG_20211218_090552.thumb.jpg.9441e6ad807f98336fdd85a97d8ae533.jpg

• Like 5
  • Fire! 1