Size Matter?

Size Vs. Cost  

8 members have voted

1. 1. When buying soil, which would you prefer?

• Having enough in the bag to fill a 30L fabric pot
    • Having paid less for the same amount

hi bud, hope all is well your side,

sorry if I am not undersranding correctly, but you asking if we would like the current size bags we getting all over the show to be cheaper or to make bigger bags with more soil in that'll cost the same as the current bag size? 

I was under the impression that the freedom farm bags are enough to fill their 30L pots.

• Agree 1

hmmmm 🥸 I have to say, I don't fully agree with that...

I feel the importance of good soil trumps the importance of a good light, and we all know how heavy a kak light can impact a grow. now just imagine kak soil... last thing I wana save a few bucks on is soil. 

I would gladly rather cough up an extra R30 - R50 for something that'll completely flip my growing experience for the better. there are a lot of examples on this forum alone. 

such as the "promix" from builders warehouse in a recent thread. there has also been documented "420mix" soil grow that had to be exchanged for freedom farms because in fact a good price does not mean it's a good product. 

high pricing also doesn't equate to quality in the least, I had the "pleasure" of trying out some Just Cannabis soil when it was all the hype. Paid R200 a bag and it claims you can finish a whole grow with just water... A week in the soil and all I saw was toast. 

pricing is not a good guidance when looking at quality. and that's what you want, quality.

It's gona be hard for a new brand to take my support away from Freedom Farms, because I feel the 3 most important things when buying soil is quality, reputability and consistency. Something I've only gotten true to form from Freefom Farms. For me to stop supporting FF and move over to something new, the new brand will have to provide a better grow experience than in FF for atleast 3 to 5 grows in a row. then they got my support. they can be a bit more expensive than FF too I'll still buy it, because it's an improvement over the already exsisting product.

if you could get FF to just make their bags either bigger or cheaper that'll work too 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've been toying with the idea of buying a ''premium'' brand bag of soil, something light for a nice auto I want to grow. My first idea is wanting something like freedom farms classic, and then building up the nutrients with topdressing as I go along the way, I like this idea and it will be easy enough to have a nice vigorous plant without having the plant flower early with some caution.

Then I realized their are many different quality autos and this specific one is the Pluto Cut from Ethos. They got these genetics quite right in that department, one breeder explained they were able to introduce hardier sativas less prone to these types of stresses, So I'm back in the I want more overall nutrients. I'm kinda undecided for now, but I am probably purchasing a bag of soil soon.

Maybe the less is more approach is the Sexiest. @Prom Cheers boeti 😆 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I feel the importance of good soil trumps the importance of a good light

This ☝️ my biggest expense now between grows is the medium I choose to buy.

One thing to note in general though, if a bag says 30L it's probably closer to like 25L. So if you're looking to fill 4 x 15L pots you would realistically need 3 x 30L and not 2 bags. So I voted to get same amount in the bag for cheaper, because I also don't want to lug around anything bigger than the 30L bags anyways! 😆

• Like 3
  • Fire! 1

Thank you, great feedback on FF.

I think its slightly off topic, and wasnt asking about soil brands, or types, or who's bag is best or bigger 

Was only wondering, if you would prefer more at the same cost in the bag, or the same amount for less, which ever your flavor or taste. 

Thank you family for the information so far, it already shows me that a market, would prefer to pay less, and keep the same size, than get more for the same price, even if the rand per Litre stayed the same.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ill_Evan said:

One thing to note in general though, if a bag says 30L it's probably closer to like 25L. So if you're looking to fill 4 x 15L pots you would realistically need 3 x 30L and not 2 bags. So I voted to get same amount in the bag for cheaper, because I also don't want to lug around anything bigger than the 30L bags anyways! 😆

Thank you for you honest opinion 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ill_Evan said:

like most things that are "Dry packaged", it is more on weight than it is on volume

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Thank you, great feedback on FF.

I think its slightly off topic, and wasnt asking about soil brands, or types, or who's bag is best or bigger 

Was only wondering, if you would prefer more at the same cost in the bag, or the same amount for less, which ever your flavor or taste. 

Thank you family for the information so far, it already shows me that a market, would prefer to pay less, and keep the same size, than get more for the same price, even if the rand per Litre stayed the same.

Sorry lol, Yes I was thinking get a 30l bag to fill a 30L pot,

• Like 1

personally, i go where its cheapest and deal with the results.

i started with 5 or so bricks of coco, cost me practically nothing, and slowly started adding Additives to it, and now i have a sweet blend of coco that shines every time.

@The_StonedTrooper i understand your question, but fail to see its practicality if there is no brand or product to apply it to. i personally dont use fabric pots, but 30l is not  standard size pot for most people.

so if you asked me about a 20l fabric pot, i would tell you that i would much rather buy a 20l bag over a 30l bag, and id go for a 40l bag over 2x 30l bags

still not sure about price question if there is no product to link it to tho.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CreX said:

like most things that are "Dry packaged", it is more on weight than it is on volume

Correct, then if I may out understand, how much, weight does 30L soil total?

This is the question, as a 25L bucket is knee high, and a 30L pot is half the bucket, and a 30L soil of anywhere, doesn't reach the top of most bags,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, The_StonedTrooper said:

Correct, then if I may out understand, how much, weight does 30L soil total?

This is the question, as a 25L bucket is knee high, and a 30L pot is half the bucket, and a 30L soil of anywhere, doesn't reach the top of most bags,

each blend of soil will have an average weight per ton/kg.

water is 1kg per 1l , and soil is nowhere that heavy.... so for soils with a coco blend, i would say less than 500g per l isnt too far off

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, CreX said:

personally, i go where its cheapest and deal with the results.

i started with 5 or so bricks of coco, cost me practically nothing, and slowly started adding Additives to it, and now i have a sweet blend of coco that shines every time.

@The_StonedTrooper i understand your question, but fail to see its practicality if there is no brand or product to apply it to. i personally dont use fabric pots, but 30l is not  standard size pot for most people.

so if you asked me about a 20l fabric pot, i would tell you that i would much rather buy a 20l bag over a 30l bag, and id go for a 40l bag over 2x 30l bags

still not sure about price question if there is no product to link it to tho.

I'm trying to understand if people would prefer more in a bag, to not have to purchase 3x bags of soil to comfortably fill up x2 of some branded 30L fabric pots. 

Or happy to have the same size, and then obviously the cost wouldnt be as much as the 40L version as it's less.

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CreX said:

each blend of soil will have an average weight per ton/kg.

water is 1kg per 1l , and soil is nowhere that heavy.... so for soils with a coco blend, i would say less than 500g per l isnt too far off

Some bags have more weight and yet they the same volume out, which is why ask, to understand and not be funny or with intent 

• Like 1

I'm trying to understand if people would prefer more in a bag, to not have to purchase 3x bags of soil to comfortably fill up some 30L fabric pots. 
Or happy to have the same size, and then obviously the cost wouldnt be as much as the 40L version as it's less.
The bag size has to be manageable weight wise for me. Anything over 30kg becomes a back problem.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

i think im starting to get your question

you are in the process of maybe building your own product and are just asking the questions perhaps?

maybe different options? 20l at a set price, 30l, 40l and then eventually the market research will show you that the 30l option is the best seller, and then you can scrap the other options

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Some bags have more weight and yet they the same volume out, which is why ask, to understand and not be funny or with intent 

no sweat man! the more coco blends have the light coco in them, where the less coco blends with more grainy sand and compost with it, will be heavier because of the ratio of the blend.

even from bag to bag it may differ (they should have had a better mixing method to ensure a more even packaging process) but it does happen

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

I'm trying to make sense if you will, of how a Litre can be anything less than a Litre,

Like saying a Kg of Sand is different to feathers, when the only thing that changes is the size, not weight. 

But soil, can be less than a Litre, but still be a L, and weight less than 1 L

What standard does one use?

there is no standard man

there are hundreds of parts to a soil mix.

What you seem to be understanding is a ford and a porche both have four wheels so why call it is different things...they are both cars right? they are obviously not in the slightest the same thing, other than similarities.

same with soil. 

if you have 1 part perlite (VERY light stuff) 1 part coco (very light material) 1 part compost (dense heavy material) thats one way to mix a SOIL

but what if you have 2 parts perlite, 2 parts coco and 1 part compost? the weight per liter will differ from brand to brand and if the soil is not mixed properly, then even from bag to bag

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

I'm trying to make sense if you will, of how a Litre can be anything less than a Litre,

Like saying a Kg of Sand is different to feathers, when the only thing that changes is the size, not weight. 

But soil, can be less than a Litre, but still be a L, and weight less than 1 L

What standard does one use?

You got a point. I think it's difficult with soil because it includes a certain degree of moisture, and the bags are not air tight so moisture is bound to escape.

So when the bags leave the factory, they might be 30L then, but after transportation and storage with a little moisture loss, they will naturally be less in terms of total litres. 

I have noticed on some bags, especially if they are from Europe, that they will have a label notifying what the total litres shall be at a certain moisture level. Maybe this is the standard you seek 😛

Also, what @CreX said above ☝️