NEW Soil recipe! - This with GROW REVIEW (ORGANinc's take)

Hello Garden folk! 

So I have decide to do a new and improved soil recipe that i'm going to make at home out of easy purchase ingredients. 

These ingredient will be in the ratio of what I believe will have really good results given the system is taken care-off, I'm typically going to put this soil in 2 x 40L pots out-doors..., I have not picked the strains yet but I know I need more soil so why not try something new. 

I will cut the nonsense and get straight to it. 

The recipe. per Cubic foot (28L of soil, might be closer to 30L but its not super precise)

5L sphagnum peat moss + 5L Coco

5l perlite + 5l vermiculite

8l Wormcasting (wermbosch)

1/4 Cup biochar

1/2 Cup alfalfa meal

1/4 Cup kelp meal 

1/2 Cup calcitic lime

1/4 Cup dolomite lime

1/2 Cup gypsum standard grade (ground chunchy)

1/2 Cup Garders Gold dust gypsum 

1 1/2 Cup basalt Rock Dust 

1 Cup bone meal

1/2 Cup insect frass

1/4 Cup Humic acid

1/2 Cup (malted barley blended as fine as possible)

1/4 Cup Soft Rock Phosphate.

This is quite a heavy mix but its what it takes to get those numbers up, so only water and inoculation will do for a while. I will be doing a check at what needs to be purchased and update accordingly, I'll be mixing about 100L which is easy enough as it will only require 1 decent size tote, I might consider splitting it up in 2 for easy of mixing and better consistency. 

Give me some time to get the ball rolling asseblief 😄 but I'm keen to have the soil mixed and cooking by the end of the weekend. 

I'm excited to have the changes made above and see how this new recipe results.

:-trip LEKKE!

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Nice brother, you have a decent mix there!

You have a lot of Vermiculite there, and a little coco, is that right?

Asking only, to understand and or help if possible, 

Hey bud, so the Standard base would be just shy of 1/3 for base/aeration/compost, I wanted a bit less castings and a bit less coco for lower levels of potassium. 

Let's see how it results. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

That is quite a mix! 😁 How long do you let all that sit before planting in it? 

Cool thanks man, The mix will probably sit for about a month in the tote, Ill probably wet the mix with some microbes and molasses. Then ill let it sit in the pots outside for a while and sprout some cover crops for 2 weeks - a month, then Ill plant 😁.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good day and a well day to all you garden people of SA. 

I wanted some variety to smoke and I thought it would be good to see how the soil works with different genetics, so I’ve decided to grow these plants in the soil mixed and partially assimilated  above, now the new homes of 

GG #4

Sherbet crasher

Animal cookies

Quattro kush 

and one Jelly bean outside to flower

i must make a note and inform all that of the 60l of soil above, +- 30 have been added so a third of used soil from the dqxslurri, The soil might need some help towards the end but in all likely hood not as the worn out soil was pretty much on balance with a lack of calcium. This was solely because I wanted a new home for all genetics, and with the short veg time the plants will do well in something less nutrient dense, however, plants would do fine in 100% concentration, but then the ideal situation would require a longer veg, which won’t be the case as we will be flipping in 2 weeks or so

I let this soil sit for 2 1/2 weeks in total. 

the plants were needing the repot. 

0442756A-68E7-4F98-9FFA-AABD396C1253.jpeg

3CA6B611-578B-4272-8DD2-317815A44FC5.jpeg

E3BDCD82-9E79-4566-B2C4-19067B13B364.jpeg

EF2FCB1C-925E-4E51-B01D-53C1BCA936E6.jpeg

355CBCE0-71D2-4969-A7C3-0E0D5FD0E660.jpeg

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 4
  • Fire! 2

1 hour ago, Weskush said:

I will never go back to bagged soil after making my own soil and seeing the great results so far. I used Subcool's super soil recipe and it is fire. 

Here is a link: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ivnUXwCGqASKO_5LNhY1r8PSdheVMlG/view?usp=drivesdk

Yeah man, I’m really enjoying tweeking my mix here and there and seeing the positive results which is cool, yes brother, your plants are on fire chom 🤩🎉 

I still think the real power of organic systems are not seen often. I must commend That Jeremy guy from build a soil, saw his last grow and he had 3 20l pots. His biggest plant of the 3 yeilded 184g with minimal veg time. That’s insane. 

im having difficulty accessing the file, could you kindly copy and paste the recipe in here so we can have a look. Thanks brosepf 🙌🏻

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CreX said:

aaaaaaaay!! i saw the tote and then got excited that someones growing in totes as well!!! then i saw the next pics haha - you must really give it a try some time man!!

The thought has crossed my mind more than a couple times. lol, Half a tote full of soil, still have the ease of moving around conveniently, and plants go wild. 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

The thought has crossed my mind more than a couple times. lol, Half a tote full of soil, still have the ease of moving around conveniently, and plants go wild. 😁

your reply is an understatement - the plants LOVE the space and i have never grown better meds since the move to totes!

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:33 AM, ORGANinc. said:

Hello Garden folk! 

So I have decide to do a new and improved soil recipe that i'm going to make at home out of easy purchase ingredients. 

These ingredient will be in the ratio of what I believe will have really good results given the system is taken care-off, I'm typically going to put this soil in 2 x 40L pots out-doors..., I have not picked the strains yet but I know I need more soil so why not try something new. 

I will cut the nonsense and get straight to it. 

The recipe. per Cubic foot (28L of soil, might be closer to 30L but its not super precise)

5L sphagnum peat moss + 5L Coco

5l perlite + 5l vermiculite

8l Wormcasting (wermbosch)

1/4 Cup biochar

1/2 Cup alfalfa meal

1/4 Cup kelp meal 

1/2 Cup calcitic lime

1/4 Cup dolomite lime

1/2 Cup gypsum standard grade (ground chunchy)

1/2 Cup Garders Gold dust gypsum 

1 1/2 Cup basalt Rock Dust 

1 Cup bone meal

1/2 Cup insect frass

1/4 Cup Humic acid

1/2 Cup (malted barley blended as fine as possible)

1/4 Cup Soft Rock Phosphate.

This is quite a heavy mix but its what it takes to get those numbers up, so only water and inoculation will do for a while. I will be doing a check at what needs to be purchased and update accordingly, I'll be mixing about 100L which is easy enough as it will only require 1 decent size tote, I might consider splitting it up in 2 for easy of mixing and better consistency. 

Give me some time to get the ball rolling asseblief 😄 but I'm keen to have the soil mixed and cooking by the end of the weekend. 

I'm excited to have the changes made above and see how this new recipe results.

:-trip LEKKE!

Yea looks good to me, similar to my own just differs on ratios and one or 2 ingredients, I think that will get you through veg and maybe until early flower, I do believe you will have to top dress again tho, hard to tell without "reading" the plants, but will be a good read to find out. Keep us updated 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Marzcanna said:

Yea looks good to me, similar to my own just differs on ratios and one or 2 ingredients, I think that will get you through veg and maybe until early flower, I do believe you will have to top dress again tho, hard to tell without "reading" the plants, but will be a good read to find out. Keep us updated 

Thanks for your input brother, Yes I will be doing a top-dress along the lines of the recipe, Cool will do.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Thanks for your input brother, Yes I will be doing a top-dress along the lines of the recipe, Cool will do.

I have a question if you don't mind. If you had to reuse your soil would you reammend with the same amendments and ratios or different ones? 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Marzcanna said:

I have a question if you don't mind. If you had to reuse your soil would you reammend with the same amendments and ratios or different ones? 

i have found that this takes a bit of practice and trial and error.

i reuse my coco in the totes, and i reammend with the talborne vita-flower and give a feed of a MKP additive because i noticed that my plants suffer potassuim deficiencies in early veg.

maybe have a control pot with your reused soil and see where it lacks... then you can reammend it with the right stuff .

ofcoarse this is a time consuming process

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Marzcanna said:

I have will have to give you some sort of idea of what application rates to use when applying, but its really a "it depends'' type of answer. 

All plants are different and pull differently, So when talking soil-less mix which is just a normal potting soil, the re-creation of real soil I guess. Then things go pear shaped very very fast. They loose their structure fast, its hard to maintain good biology, watering has to be on point for small pots. But if you tick all boxes and the plant has somewhat exhausted all the nutrients in the soil. I will put half of the amount above back in the soil and thoroughly mix in. 

Id probably leave out the rock dust on consecutive re-amends 

The smaller the pots, the less room for error in-terms of soil chemistry.  

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Marzcanna said:

Ratios are dependent on what I need more of, and observation from the plant... Or amending through a soil test. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The plants are settling nicely, except one sherb crasher on the right, over watering prior to the repot. All plants don’t drink the same. 

decided to do some training on the clones, the gg#4 (only seed) got topped. 

Animal cookies grows like a beast, Quattro kush look super intriguing and GG#4 is looking strong 🙌🏻

Gave them a spray of Epic 5:2 for the heat. 

B8A85285-39B9-46CD-8A7B-1D7839937F0D.jpeg

7B487900-F9D2-448A-89E4-63DA0710206F.jpeg

EEB5A87A-C9FD-4B46-9599-523103DE4E0B.jpeg

7C485CD9-BD4F-402D-A822-AD1EE01FFE77.jpeg

823B7713-F356-4A93-87C7-064617E0248C.jpeg

B21281A1-C9C2-4A2D-B622-D1F3A5FD65BB.jpeg

FBCDC67C-FC90-4604-AD83-BC5F68D1633B.jpeg

F327D47E-929C-4C6C-BBD0-975C232020FE.png

3FE4EE69-9ACC-4D84-AE57-819B3828FF23.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Fire! 3