Wild markups

Weskush

I thought B&B pulled all the stuff from Motherland after the drama ?? Wouldn't be supporting Motherland at the moment anyway dude... I've seen a lot of bad things about this guy the past few days on Instagram, I even saw Totemic said they are not longer a distributor for his seeds.

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

Ja out of stock so they probably did pull it but how can Motherland charge R300 for 10 reg while B&B charges R500 for the same item?? Someone undercutting or someone taking the piss with their markups?

I personally have never had any issues with Motherland. 

Don't know the whole story but when i see shit like this it makes me think twice who to support.

Edited by Weskush
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Khakibos said:

I prefer to get straight from the source, cut out the middle man 😆 much cheaper and if you supporting a decent breeder cash will go straight to them !

Market price and economic value is there for a reason but because of current laws and regulations re cannabis there isn't any regulating party. Would be interesting to find out how seed prices are determined. Based on potential yield of strain, class/quality/rarity of strain and an equation of some sorts is calculated or did it start with a thumb suck figure and everyone just accepted it as the norm? I am aware of all the hard graft going into producing and selling seeds so i'm not tuning any breeders. Just curious.

Edited by Weskush
  • Like 2

damn that's some nice profit hahah they probably don't even pay the R300 motherland offers it for, I bet the markup is more than 200. sadly because of the involvement of money corruption runs the marketplace. I am not saying these guys are corrupt, yet. 

I know a breeder can put any price they want on a seed, if they wana ask 1000 for a single seed, they can. I won't buy it, someone will, but not me. The reason can be that it's the holy grail of weed and nothing can compete with it, or simply because it's a seed that the breeder holds near and dear to them, sort of like a "signature" brand or a "niche" item. 

I understand motherland been stirring some controversy, luckily for them I am not looking for seeds right now and didn't know about all this. 300 for a 10 pack of regs is not over the top at all, though I wouldn't buy those anyway, just because of how they advertise them. all the name tells me is "random genome aka random genome" if a reputable breeder offered these I would question the legitimacy of the breeder. 

what I don't get is that insane markup, I get that they need to cover distribution costs and what not, but holy fucking christ. I have only heard good things about B&B, never bought from them myself, but I am also super interested in what that insane markup is all about? and their relationship with motherland genetics at the moment? 

maybe shoot them a quick email see what's up? 

• Like 2

I suppose it all depends on what price motherland supplied to Bnb. At least 100% markup is pretty much standard for a retail environment though. 

Seed prices are always a hot topic. On the one hand we are already at a loss with the value of our Rand, and we don't want to pay a lot for seeds. Current retail market fem seeds go for between R50-R100 on average. 

But this whole seed market is going to change into something else fast. It's no longer just a few of us risking a lot to be breeding for the growers. With decriminalization that risk has greatly reduced. 

Then Covid happened and lock down 1.0 saw us cut off from international seed sources, and even to an extent domestically. 

These two events drove many growers locally to take their growing to the next step. There are now many, many breeders that have come on to the scene. 

It's an exciting time for us to have the opportunity to reintegtate our society with cannabis. Who knows how far it's going to go... 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

image.thumb.png.9cd39de6c17877552e4316ee1e0571e7.pngimage.thumb.png.18c7b075341dde9ce148affd72a96a0c.pngimage.thumb.png.79917efec84738f58ab3735ff4015457.pngHow could you still support some one who has lied to you straight to your face? 

Well, klap me with a wet snoek😳. This is the exact same thing that a certain seedbank that named their strains after political figures and another one named after n chips brand did. Sies🧦

• Haha 3

One needs to ensure they buy from reputable breeders.

People buying seeds in bulk and reselling, putting different names on these strains, using pictures from others and not of the actual seeds they're selling etc.

IMO these strains / breeders / brands you want to avoid. Rather buy seeds from a breeder who has input into what is being bred and not just from someone who buys their seeds and resells (not talking about seedbanks, but "breeders").

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

56 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

One needs to ensure they buy from reputable breeders.

People buying seeds in bulk and reselling, putting different names on these strains, using pictures from others and not of the actual seeds they're selling etc.

IMO these strains / breeders / brands you want to avoid. Rather buy seeds from a breeder who has input into what is being bred and not just from someone who buys their seeds and resells (not talking about seedbanks, but "breeders").

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

There's a lot of people who honestly have no interest in the plant, or helping the community, they just want to make some quick $$$. And unfortunately this is something that is going to happen.

• Agree 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Khakibos said:

There's a lot of people who honestly have no interest in the plant, or helping the community, they just want to make some quick $$$. And unfortunately this is something that is going to happen.

100%

I have said that exact thing in a different thread.

As a consumer now a days, one needs to become the expert and do a full investigation before committing to something, otherwise you can end up being shafted and taken for a ride.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Weskush said:

After emailing B&B i received confirmation that they no longer sell Motherland genetics. Guess that i'll be using my Motherland t-shirt for checking the oil on my car from now on😐

B50B5728-F4D8-4DF9-B15F-0D83AB4F899A.png

Fuck me.. now the fact that I don't have social media pisses me off... ☹️

I am currently running Sunset Sherbet S1 and Purple Dosidos... Motherland claimed that the lineage is from the OG breeders of those strains... Sherbinski, Archive and Grand Daddy Purp... 

Shit, now I am stressing whether there is even a smidgen of truth to this. Only time will tell as to what these supposed strains will turn out as. 

So as I understand it they steal pics from other growers to market their shit.. does anyone know whether they actually had a breeding program to create all these wonderfully named strains that they are trying to sell?

Karma is a bitch and once you are exposed it's hard coming back from that as your integrity will always be questioned. 

Super bummed....

• Sad 3

@PsyCLown hey bud. 

The seeds were popped on the 28th of August. Early veg growth looks alright and didn't respond too bad to the high stress training. Still 2 toppings to go before I flip to flower so just really hoping that it atleast presents well in flower.

I really wanted to support local and that is why I gave them a go but with all the noise around their ethical practice I wonder whether I will get what I thought I would get. Only time will tell... 🙁

Atleast I am also growing out some of that Inhouse that you gifted me so that has me happy knowing I will atleast have that and also the OSG seems to be legit...

Here are some pics. 

Sunset Sherbet 

20211015_093144.thumb.jpg.02c322e523b0f23fc0b31ebea246c64a.jpg

Purple Dosidos 

20211015_093154.thumb.jpg.d2af9b7f87e385b498e12df895801087.jpg

Edited by John Stonedwell
  • Like 8