Sparky Weed

Martin7318

Question

Hey guys and gals, interested in your opinion here.

A friend of mine brought some weed over to my place, it looked great, smelled great and got me pretty baked. It's definitely indoor, but the guy was selling this particular batch for only R20/g. In normal circumstances one would jump for joy and buy a KG of the stuff, right? I can't even grow it for that price! 😂

We smoked through a pipe mostly and what's concerning was how this stuff was popping and sparking, like those little firework sparklers just less dramatic. Very odd, it wasn't seeds or stems, when the seller was asked about it he said the bud had too much "Calyx". This just seems like something you would say to someone who doesn't understand the anatomy of the plant to get them to stop asking questions, and actually has me concerned about said friends health 😂.

Whats your thoughts? Am I being paranoid?

• Like 2

16 answers to this question

wow shit man do you still have some of the bud? my first question to you is simple, is the weed properly dried yet? sorry if that's a dumb question, but you never know

if you really sure it's not seeds or stems it could be that he rushed or pushed something during harvest/dry/cure and depending on where he rushed or pushed it, it may have different levels of concern.

if you have some, grind some up and take a real close look at it, maybe post a photo for us? I had a plant shoot out nanners at the end of a grow, pushed them too far and it pollinated a spot here and there in the tent that started forming seeds. I could see the little swolen pockets in the flowers when closely inspected, I gave some of that weed to my brother in law and he also smoked it without noticing the seeds, cz they just started forming and is really just a hard peice of green "barky" seed shell that looks just like the rest of the weed, but it will crackle when sparked. if this is the case then it just depends on the smoker how much they like it, personally I can't stand it. 

if this is not the case, then you actually do have right to be a bit worried as your friend might be smoking on some carcinogens. it will be minute amounts, nothing to write home about. I mean there are carcinogenic particulates in the food we eat and the air we breathe, but be careful as that is the last list in life that you wana keep adding to. we rather wana make that list shorter. in this case the snap, crackle and pop is the sign of nutrients that the plant needed when it was alive that are still present in forms of sugars, salts, startch and other forms of oils that you do not wana smoke. this would be the result of pumping the plant with too much PPM in the last period of its life and not making sure the plant was atleast starting to fade before harvest. so pushed the nutes and then rushed the harvest. 

also, did he perhaps wash the bud after he harvested? some people wash their buds with lime juice and bicarbonate of soda then they forget to wash all that off with clean water and this may also result in a snap, crackle and pop and probably more carcinogenic and the biggest risk to your health of all the rest. 

definitly not a calyx problem though, the more calyx the better 🤠

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ORGANinc. said:

It’s probably shitty weed that wasn’t flushed properly and now they want to flog it. Snap crackle and pop, how did it taste? Anything like Nos? Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast SagaFast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

I agree probly shitty weed that wasn't flushed... Or... It could be spider mites those lil f**kers light up and pop like that aswel 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Realized tonight that I never responded here. I've attached Pics for those still interested (Apologies for quality, these were sent to me). My guess is that either something was used during flower for pests or mildew and wasn't cleaned correctly. Either that or the nutrients being used need a serious flush and this guy just doesn't flush at all 😅.

I've also come across something called PGR's (Plant Growth Regulators), scary to think it could be that. This same friend got some "AAA Grade" from the same guy, paid only R50, the weed wasn't "Sparky" like the last batch but had a terrible chemical taste to it and very heavy on the throat and chest. Doesn't seem healthy to me, my poor mate must think I'm jealous because he walked in with big smiles and I had nothing nice to say about it after the smoke 😅🤣

IMG-20210923-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20210924-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210924-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210929-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20210929-WA0010.jpg

• Like 1

To me it looks like nice, frosty buds except for the second last pic. What is that separate small white pieces that i see? Remember when i was in the UK back in the day that they used to spray the buds with sugar water to add weight. Always had to test it by feeling the texture between your teeth. If it felt grainy it was sprayed or even worse, dipped in something for added weight. Thats why i only grow my own.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:53 AM, SkunkPharm said:

What I heard is that legal grows are pumping product into the illegal market at R10 a gram. It could be sulphur that they spayed or burnt in the last bit of the grow. Lesotho legal producers. 

This is what i have heard as well - it could also be greendoor thats making waves lately... last seasons outdoor harvests were nothing to scoff over... some of the best green iv seen in years going for stupidly low prices... prices that @Martin7318 is quite correct about... indoor cannot be grown for R10 a gram if its quality

• Like 2

I do not think it has anything to do with flushing or not. I no longer flush and never experienced anything like this.

I susepect the weed was sprayed with something and that's what is causing this. Seems quite dodge and suspect.

Overseas it is common for weed to be laced with other substances as it makes the weed seem more potent and makes it easier to sell.

Never heard of the sugar water, but a possibility too.

If this is some of the weed from legal grows, then it was rejected for a reason and that reason could be why it is crackling and popping.

• Like 2

A part of me hoped I'd come here and be told I'm being paranoid, I had no idea people were dipping in sulpher/sugar/GLASS... I thought the khat and heroine laced weed of Oppi Koppi would top the list forever. It's some dodgy weed, I'll certainly not be smoking it again 😂. Thanks for all the horror stories!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Martin7318 said:

A part of me hoped I'd come here and be told I'm being paranoid, I had no idea people were dipping in sulpher/sugar/GLASS... I thought the khat and heroine laced weed of Oppi Koppi would top the list forever. It's some dodgy weed, I'll certainly not be smoking it again 😂. Thanks for all the horror stories!

Harm prevention is key, if in doubt rather get rid of it. Not worth risking your health for a bit of money.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

holy fucking shit! 🤯 

now I am more interested than ever in why the hell this stuff is sparky like that!!! 

I heard stories back in the day of weed being harvested in some rather "unsanitary" places and the dry rooms being sprayed with doom and dotted with rat poisons to keep insects, spiders and rodents at bay, then the weed gained stories of being laced with doom to "make it stronger" but the guys who did it, didn't do it to intentionally lace the weed, though the stuff got on the weed anyway and caused problems with the consumers. 

but what you guys are telling me now is wild.... 

got me researching a bunch and came up with some crazy shit!!!! 

some legal grow facilities in the great 'Muricas use forms of radiation to clean their weed post harvest!!!! 

This guy seems legit, gives sources for personal research for all the sceptics, his channel on youtube has actually got quite a bunch of facts on weed for those of us who may have some unanswered questions about weed. 

• Like 2

Most likely, he sold you a substandard product. The problem is that there is no certain standard that manufacturers must adhere to. If companies introduced quality control and clear production rules, there would be fewer people buying substandard products. I recently came across a project whose essence is to improve the production process through item-by-item tracking of cannabis. The blockchain-based platform allows the automation of production control and track of deliveries. I think this is a brilliant idea that could impact cannabis producers for the better. I can't wait for producers to start using such software.

Edited by asdered
  • Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 2:26 AM, georgianacrouse said:

It looks like there was something wrong with the weed. Maybe not the way it was dried but the way it was cultivated. Some people spray it with supplements to kill the bugs, spoiling the taste if done improperly.

Having a bit more experience in the cultivation since posting this question I am still convinced this was caused by a chemical of sorts. Guessing the what, when and how could go on for ages. My friend is no longer buying this stuff, so my worries of his health are at ease 😂

On 11/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, ninesky said:

I don't think you're being paranoid; checking everything is the right thing.

It often happens that dishonest sellers sell bad goods. So it's better to check everything in advance. A friend of mine recently found canada weed online and bought weed at a discount. But before smoking, he decided to test the weed. He was lucky, and everything was fine; the weed was of excellent quality. But I generally think that it is better to check any drug. Recently I discovered that there is even a special test for marijuana; it is very useful.