Genetic throwback on my Auto?

Dookie69

672c378d616f62985de213009c1c7742.jpg

e101995a6df472c27c3b6b49228e4679.jpg

I should have culled it ages ago but I’m curious to see what this plant does. It’s meant to be a Gorilla Glue auto. It’s on day 77 more or less. Not a single pistol in site and from what I can see, no male parts either. The others from the batch are already well into flower. Is this hemp? Is it a genetic photoperiod throwback that’s waiting for a 12/12? I’ve been running 18/6 for my auto’s.

Which breeder?

Breeders that do not do the work on autos will have these issues. When you cross an auto with an photo period the F1 off spring is 90% photo period. When you take a male and a female from the F1 of spring and cross it again you create F2 off spring. With the F2’s you run them under 24 hours of light. You only breed with the ones that have the recessive traits I.e. the auto flowering trait. Those that flower under 24 hours of light. From the F3 generation you see stable auto flowering traits. The good breeders only start selecting the characteristics that they want in the plant from this generation and breed with these plants. Good auto flower genetics where photoperiod plants where bread to be auto flowers is only really released from F3/F4 onwards. But allot of breeders are only their to make money. You need to be picky with genetics/breeders. Follow the guys on instagram or just look at there pages. Good Breeders normally show you the work they have done on the plants. They are transparent.

• Like 1

Hi Skunk Farm

It’s from a local supplier. I assumed I was getting “overseas” genetics but when the seeds arrived they were packed into little plastic vials with tiny printed labels on the inside. Nicely done. I assumed maybe he got bulk and just re packed them.

Anyway my first run of 6 seeds produced 6 massive plants, 3 x the normal Auto flower size I’m accustomed to. This raised my first suspicion that something was maybe off with the genetics. (However I hardly LST’d the 6 because of time constraints, so thought maybe they grew normally to about 1m high).

Four of the plants are big and producing decent enough buds, and the remaining two seem to be stuck. The other “faulty” plant has stopped at pistols, no bud growth.

I’m not going to mention (yet) who the supplier was, I haven’t tried contacting him yet.

A local suppliers, but who is the breeder?

If the supplier is just that - a supplier - and not the breeder, it is then in no way their fault but more the fault of the breeder as far as I see it. 

My experience with autos has also been a bit all over the place to be honest. I feel one needs to be a bit fussier with the breeders and possibly do a bit more research and homework as to which strains are worth while and show consistent results.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The trusted breeders out their is mephisto, night owl and gnome genetics formerly maldalorian genetics. Anybody that these guys work with are also excellent. I have also grown ethos genetics auto flowers they were great but pricey. I am just going to start breeding my own auto’s the I don’t have to buy. Don’t get me wrong the larger European seed banks also have stable lines like all the classic strains. Do they however breed their own seeds? Do they just buy from a bulk supplier?

The trusted breeders out their is mephisto, night owl and gnome genetics formerly maldalorian genetics. Anybody that these guys work with are also excellent. I have also grown ethos genetics auto flowers they were great but pricey. I am just going to start breeding my own auto’s the I don’t have to buy. Don’t get me wrong the larger European seed banks also have stable lines like all the classic strains. Do they however breed their own seeds? Do they just buy from a bulk supplier?

Do you import directly from the States?

No, I don’t import directly. You sometimes get the seedbanks bringing in some decent auto flowers. But people don’t want to pay for them. But I will be working on some auto flower genetics next year. Got my hands on some regular seeds from Gnome genetics. He came second in the Auto flower cup for best flower with his Bobby’s Widow In 2019. 
Bobby’s widow is white widow from dinafem crossed with Bobby’s Girl by Moxie. 
I have some auto flower seeds from fastbuds and royal queen seeds. Not my favourite breeders but lets see what they do. So I will pollinate them with the Bobby’s Widow male. Just to see what I get. 
I am sick and tired of buying seeds. And if you want to go off the grid like I want to there will be no money to buy seeds.  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:08 PM, Dookie69 said:

This is the question, who is the breeder? Up to now I’ve only purchased branded seeds, like Dutch Passion, Dinafem, Humboldt Seed Co and Divine Seeds, all through local seed banks.

So if tis "branded" seeds like these, then they would like you to think they're the breeders. Possible some of it gets outsourced to another company or person to produce the seeds though.

The local seed bank would not have any control over it and it would not be their fault. They are just stocking a product and selling it.

I had an entire pack of Dutch Passion auto's turn out to be photoperiods.

I got the seeds from a local distributor / breeder / seed bank. They were not branded but came in small plastic vials (?) with a bit of (that shit that sucks moisture out of the air) in each. Now I bought at least 15 seeds and got a few free thrown in. I have only germinated 6 of those seeds, and four are looking awesome, maybe 2 or 3 weeks to go. The other two have got stuck. I haven’t pictured the second “bad” one; it is stuck on the “plenty white pistols” stage. Now the one I pictured above, which seemed stuck in Veg, has spent 2 days in isolation on 12/12. I’ll try that on the other “bad” plant, seeing as it is all alone in a. 4x4.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:27 AM, SkunkPharm said:

Which breeder?

Breeders that do not do the work on autos will have these issues. When you cross an auto with an photo period the F1 off spring is 90% photo period. When you take a male and a female from the F1 of spring and cross it again you create F2 off spring. With the F2’s you run them under 24 hours of light. You only breed with the ones that have the recessive traits I.e. the auto flowering trait. Those that flower under 24 hours of light. From the F3 generation you see stable auto flowering traits. The good breeders only start selecting the characteristics that they want in the plant from this generation and breed with these plants. Good auto flower genetics where photoperiod plants where bread to be auto flowers is only really released from F3/F4 onwards. But allot of breeders are only their to make money. You need to be picky with genetics/breeders. Follow the guys on instagram or just look at there pages. Good Breeders normally show you the work they have done on the plants. They are transparent.

Learned this the hard way. Skipped all those steps and bought a full auto regular strain from flash to pollinate the girls.

• Like 1