I need a chiller

DankFiend

3 hours ago, Prom said:

Electricity based or CO2 based? If you just look for something to cool your solution, would go with a Aquarium chiller.. build in temp control to the degree.

https://www.amazon.com/aquarium-chiller/s?k=aquarium+chiller

Oh shit. Didn't know they ship to sa. Any idea how long the wait is? This is perfect but I am already bumping into temp issues so was hoping for a today kind of solution.

Fast solution are cool packs you drop yourself ^^ Would check in a Aquarium store in SA.. that could be couriered in 1-2 days.

😁 if you get em to ship Express, 5 days usually from China, Europe or the US. 

Edited by Prom
last line addon

26 minutes ago, Prom said:

Fast solution are cool packs you drop yourself ^^ Would check in a Aquarium store in SA.. that could be couriered in 1-2 days.

😁 if you get em to ship Express, 5 days usually from China, Europe or the US. 

do this man

ice packs in the res - either straight ice to raise the level of your res, or use ice in packets and then remove them and replace.... okes use 2l bottles, freeze them and use that to help with temps... that should sort you out until your chiller arrives. @DankFiend

I used a old barfridge with two holes in the side for pipe to go in and curl a few times ( much as possible) and out again to a small water pump in the res , it helped to keep water below 21degrees on hot days . Can use a small fridge also with water in it and then pump and return again , won't freeze up due to new warmer water from system.

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GGG said:

I used a old barfridge with two holes in the side for pipe to go in and curl a few times ( much as possible) and out again to a small water pump in the res , it helped to keep water below 21degrees on hot days . Can use a small fridge also with water in it and then pump and return again , won't freeze up due to new warmer water from system.

I have seen this done as a diy solution online. and a bar fridge would be cheaper. I wonder though about the long term cost befit ratio here - especially since the bar fridge is likely to take up a lot of space. decided to just fork out 8 grand on one, since every time I do hydro I complain that I need one.

8 minutes ago, DankFiend said:

I have seen this done as a diy solution online. and a bar fridge would be cheaper. I wonder though about the long term cost befit ratio here - especially since the bar fridge is likely to take up a lot of space. decided to just fork out 8 grand on one, since every time I do hydro I complain that I need one.

although I can put a bar fridge under my desk, run the cooling line through the freezer and keep water and beers in the fridge for drinking. Than its more than a chiller, its also still a fridge 😂

5 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

@DankFiend What about looking for a used one on an aquarium forum?

There is also one for sale on this forum: 

I did see that. but anything over a few grand I prefer to buy something new, especially when I don't understand the tech (and can't look under the hood), and also where I can't send it back with a nasty letter of complaint when the shit doesn't do what it was meant to.  for someone willing to go that way, an aquarium forum is a good idea which never even crossed my mind.

the chiller I am considering for 8, I found on jungle aquatics and is the same (or a newer version) of the one for 6500 (above). The extra 1500 for advantage of being able to collect it nearby, and for getting a new unit, seems to make more sense in my case.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DankFiend said:

I did see that. but anything over a few grand I prefer to buy something new, especially when I don't understand the tech (and can't look under the hood), and also where I can't send it back with a nasty letter of complaint when the shit doesn't do what it was meant to.  for someone willing to go that way, an aquarium forum is a good idea which never even crossed my mind.

the chiller I am considering for 8, I found on jungle aquatics and is the same (or a newer version) of the one for 6500 (above). The extra 1500 for advantage of being able to collect it nearby, and for getting a new unit, seems to make more sense in my case.  

I would not buy a chiller from Jungle, they push up their prices something chronic. 

Getting a second hand chiller is absolutely fine, all you would need to do is regas it maybe once a year if that. I am getting a second hand ancient Haliea 400lt rated chiller for my RDWC system. My marine tank runs a Teco 500 R245 gen chiller, top of the range, but also pocket burning. 

28 minutes ago, greenkush said:

I am getting a second hand ancient Haliea 400lt rated chiller for my RDWC system

Yeah, I remember the pic. Wish I had friends with aquariums 😅.

Where the rand is at the moment means the stuff on amazon that are worth buying are running around the same price. But let me look around some more tonight before bitting the bullet. Will chill by topping off and with icepacks till then.

10 minutes ago, DankFiend said:

Yeah, I remember the pic. Wish I had friends with aquariums 😅.

Where the rand is at the moment means the stuff on amazon that are worth buying are running around the same price. But let me look around some more tonight before bitting the bullet. Will chill by topping off and with icepacks till then.

Let me ask in my reef group to see if anyone has any going and ill let you know.

• Like 1

Yeah buddy , if you can buy a chiller it's the best way to go .