Sunday was a blast

The Grass Baas

Watsup guys.

So this is just a quick short one on how we made some dab with trim sponsored by @John Stonedwell.

As you noticed, he had a killer run recently and we decided to keep alot of the Twisted Helix trim as it was suuuuuuper frosty. Cured it just as we would the buds, and had a blast with it.

Now I unfortunately do not have a press and I know I could have probably saved the money blah blah blah. But in this BHO extracting adventure I decided to use a butane extraction tube. Buuuuuuuut.......it is pressurized, so we don't use too much gas. I think this was my first succesful blast. Anyway. We did two short runs and the total product was 2.65g of puuuuure extract. We also were greedy bastards and went straight to a 20 micron mesh screen, for that cleeeean final product. I do have homemade vacuum chambers but will show those on the DIY section some time.

20210912_133538.thumb.jpg.94c5e5c517a52653f2aaa8788e5ce822.jpg20210912_133530.thumb.jpg.45d8007f5cebc31d32e569d3b088469a.jpg

We used an extraction tube, a couple grams of trim (we did not weigh it, I know, dumb of us), a silicon mat and some newport butane gas. I think the newport one is the recommended one as it has less kak (impurities) and is used for "medical extraction" as stated on the bottle. We also just used some beautiful outdoor sunshine to evaporate the butane. The vacuum chambers work faster but we were in no rush.

20210912_130211.thumb.jpg.9470ec11db98ef23e7e1ea278f0b3f21.jpg

We did nothing fancy in the extraction. We stacked the tube, kept the bottom valve open while we filled it with a little butane. Before anything could drip out the bottom we closed the bottom valve and pressed a brand new bottle from the top trying to get a decent pressure up in there. Once we couldn't hear it going into the pipe anymore we closed it off. Leaving it for a minute or two. We then slowly sprayed it out onto the silicon mat. As you can see we just used something to keep the silicon mat down as the cold butane pulls it up, pouring all the precious goodies out. We learnt very quickly.

20210912_130952.thumb.jpg.3c8b4c48b0a8646dbdeb75ad8f8f038d.jpg

All in all it was a fun experience and we ended up with some decent product. Something I will continue doing and enjoying. The goal is to eventually after every successful harvest extract from the trim and build a collection of dab over the next few runs. 

Thanks for watching 

PS. We know that there are serious dangers to butane, hence we did it outside. There was no braaing going on or smoking. I would shout off every now and then no lighting of smokes. Safety first kids.

Edited by The Grass Baas
Terminology correction
  • Like 5

Very nice, how did you use the 20 micron screen?

Also as far as I am aware, the extract is only referred to as rosin if it is pressed in a rosin press and no solvents should have been used either.
BHO is what you used as it was a butane extract. Did you put the dab / BHO into the vac chamber afterwards as well? I have noticed that using sun and/or a bit of heat on a stove does not remove all of the butane and using a vac chamber afterwards would still be beneficial and help purge a bit more of the butane 🙂 

Looks great though and being able to keep the butane in the tube and allowing it to sit for a bit would certainly help increase the yield 😄 

Have you sampled any yet?

• Like 1

Hey dude.

Thanks man. Totally agree it is BHO and not rosin. My bad.

I do have  a couple vacuum chambers which just got a fix up yesterday so will purge and see if anything comes out today sometime. Just waiting for them to dry etc. 

We did do a little sample, there wasn't any little popping flames from the extract so I kind of assumed it was cleaned enough. But I would rather be sure so will purge it properly. The taste was great, kept so much of the terps and tasted just like that jar smelled.

I used a 20 micron screen at the bottom between the outlet and the pipe. It is like a little circular rubber with mesh in the middle. Worked great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Grass Baas said:

Hey dude.

Thanks man. Totally agree it is BHO and not rosin. My bad.

I do have  a couple vacuum chambers which just got a fix up yesterday so will purge and see if anything comes out today sometime. Just waiting for them to dry etc. 

We did do a little sample, there wasn't any little popping flames from the extract so I kind of assumed it was cleaned enough. But I would rather be sure so will purge it properly. The taste was great, kept so much of the terps and tasted just like that jar smelled.

I used a 20 micron screen at the bottom between the outlet and the pipe. It is like a little circular rubber with mesh in the middle. Worked great.

Dab is awesome! So the screen is just there to ensure no trim gets into the final product and to only allow the butane which contains the goodness to pass through? Very nice! 😄 

Do you have a heating mat for the vac chamber? That will also help get rid of any remaining butane.

• Like 1

Thanks man.

I always forget about the heating mat. I do have one which I use for my clone dome. Will defs use it. Thanks for the reminder. My vacuum chambers are small (small consol jars 250ml) as I use a manual brake bleeder to pull the air out. It obviously isn't a perfect vacuum but every bit helps. Still looking for old compressors to make a proper vacuum pump.

Yeah the screen is the only filtration I use to make sure I don't blast the plant matter into the dab and only allow butane through. I think I have one that is in the 70 micron if I'm not mistaken. 20 micron is the lowest I should go, or 25 mocron. Not sure. If I recall correctly with the bags for bubble hash the last one is quite low, 20 to 32 micron or something. I am in it for the pure gold, no green stuff 😂

@Prom Thank you kindly sir for the awesome info. I did buy myself some coffee filters and have tried one before. I stopped because I kept reading that they must be "unbleached" but I guess it is just for the purests. Will do a run through one again. 

I like the silicon bowl. Works very nice. I have several different kinds of silicone things that I try with. I struggle though because I want to get it into the vacuum chamber without getting it on the glass of the chamber. Then I have to clean it with alcohol and becomes a mission. 

So what I used to do was blast straight into a glass jar that I put a cap on and purge. I manage to get it to remove the butane but then all the dab is stuck to the glass. Has anyone had experience with using 99.9% alcohol to remove the butane while evaporating the alcohol (like in the glass jar I mentioned).I have heard this works great. I am abit scared to try.

This is the alcohol. Absolute ethanol to be axact.

20210913_134442.thumb.jpg.8aa376402833fb00cf47f65da100d3f5.jpg

This alcohol is the shit. Been cleaning everything with it.