Very high EC Tap water

highchome

I'm in the Western Cape and for the last month or so our tap water has had an EC above 1300! Normally it was below ~300. 

Of all the things to consider when doing a coco grow, this is one thing I never though of. My clones/mothers seem to be doing ok enough with the water & hydro-mix. But my flowering plants are not happy at all, and various signs of unhappiness (e.g. some very dark leaves)

With the ferts mixed to a bit below normal strength I'm at an EC of 1800. I suppose I should stop mixing calmag into the hortimix and hope that the buffering I did + whatever calcium is in that 1300 base EC will be enough to avoid issues. 

I guess there are not many practical options for me at the moment. But wondering if anyone else had experienced similar issues?

Wow that is an insanely high EC for tap water (or borehole water). From what I recall the highest I’ve ever heard of is .05 or .6 EC. Is there an explanation why it went so high so quickly?
I’m concerned that there might be some other unwanted “salt” in your water pushing up the EX that much.

It really is insane. Its not just me though, I've tested in a friends place on the other side of town. So its definitely the municipal water in general. I'd guess that must be cause by the dams filling up with run off now during the rainy season. But even so its a crazy number and I'm not sure how to reasonably deal with it 😞