Smelly Joe's Outdoor Grow

I havent posted on the forum for quite a while but lets not get into that. Lets rather just get to growing 

The strains for the season is as follows for now and might change:

Chocolate Gelato 

Royal Banner 

Slurricane Cheese 

Blue Kush Berry 

This grow will be kept to a budget and for any of you that is new to Outdoor growing or maybe just want to see what can be done with the minimum of products, I will show you. Last season i pulled just under 2kg dry bud. Its not much for some, but for me its more than a years bud. I will also add prices and suppliers for those that need it. 

I will be heading out end of the month to buy my soil mix etc and will mix and share when it comes down to that. Until then have a great weekend and chat soon... 

• Like 5

Thanks for popping in man. I will be more accurate with the seed selection because they are in storage in the fridge. 

Monday I will get them out, get them a little acclimatized and on the 1st Sept i will plant them.... I am doing a total of 7 plant as to last years 10. The yield might be little less but i am gonna do some twerks early on to try and achieve close to or equal to last seasons harvest. 

• Like 1

I went through the old stock room and came to these strains as final choices :

Chocolate Gelato 

Red cherry berry

Girl Scout Cookies x Bruce Banner 

Bruce Banner#3 

Pineapple Chunk 

Blue Kush Berry 

Slurricane Cheese 

Those 7 wil be going through the paper towel method before planting. I was against it for years and once I gave it a go i never went back. You need to be catefull of course but great way to see which germ and which not. 

I will start making some  Lactobacillus Serum this coming week to help the plants get strong from an early age

• Like 2

Nice man. Looks like a great round coming up.

I don't use seeds too often, I'm all about the clones. The towel technique works great. A technique I used which helped sooooo much, especially if the seeds are old, is to leave it overnight in a cup filled with water. Initially they will float, the next day they should sink. If they've sunk, it means the husk has broken open, I then would use the towel method and go from there.

Excited to see what happens. 

• Like 1

Went on leave today so i got some stuff ready for the grow season. Cleaned my measuring jugs, checked nute stock and what needs to be bought, picked out my seeds and went on to start the Lactobacillus Serum. 

The seeds has been put out into separate glasses and tomorrow morning, 31 Aug, i will drop them in water. 

IMG_20210830_182819.thumb.jpg.08b2e8041bd665bb4fe18cae00b98f90.jpg

IMG_20210830_182752.thumb.jpg.23dd469a76fd7b2f102d8a62ca7550ec.jpg

PROBIOTICS :

I started off with 1 litre of tapwater which i left to stand for 24 Hours to get rid of the chlorine. Then I added 500g of white rice, stirred it up for a bit and strained the rice water into another glass jar. I covered it with paper towel and set it in a dark place.  It will stay in the dark for 7 days, depends on temperature. 

After the 7 days I will add 1 litre of full cream milk and then its almost done.... 😀😀😀

IMG_20210829_124343.thumb.jpg.55cebf862923453655b28c534cb34406.jpg

IMG_20210830_110522.thumb.jpg.da63a7cab22882328bf2c30928516044.jpg

IMG_20210830_112232.thumb.jpg.8f5224231e2be2a489b2aa1aef3c1ce0.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I think he is adding beneficial bacteria, creating micro population

Lactobacillus is a beneficial bacterium that helps sterilize soil and remove byproducts that can build up and create a harmful environment. The presence of lactobacillus limits the undesirable organisms in the soil. This creates a more balanced environment that is able to support plant life.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

in doing the one you're also doing the other I guess, well you got a good question then cause how would I know what his intention was and I would also like to know the answer from our smelly friend 😁 

and if using for sterelizing the soil how well does it work? 

and if you growing in sterile medium wouldn't that be like growing in coco?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

in doing the one you're also doing the other I guess, well you got a good question then cause how would I know what his intention was and I would also like to know the answer from our smelly friend 😁 

and if using for sterelizing the soil how well does it work? 

and if you growing in sterile medium wouldn't that be like growing in coco?

It wouldn't be completely sterile, at least I do not think so.

It is outdoors and bacteria can live in an array of different conditions.

@Smelly Joe What says you?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

It wouldn't be completely sterile, at least I do not think so.

It is outdoors and bacteria can live in an array of different conditions.

@Smelly Joe What says 

yeah that's what I was thinking and that it's more a situation of adding than sterilizing here..

a whole list of lactic bacterias are all well known bio fertilizers and to a certain extent it kinda acts a little like silicates in where they're both a growth stimulant but can also protect the plant. although it's more likely that these things are used as a addative rather than using it for IPM

• Like 1

Ahoy @PsyCLown, @Naughty.Psychonaut, @Weskush, @GGG...

Thanx for popping in. 

15 hours ago, Weskush said:

Howzit. Do you use this to sterilize your soil?

No this is not to sterilize the soil. This is purely a added extra for the soil. When done it will add millions of good bacteria into the soil helping it stay alive and thriving. I found the recipe on the "Unconventional Farmers" website and saw it in video format on youtube from the "Weedy Gardener". Go check it out. 

5 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I think he is adding beneficial bacteria, creating micro population

Jip that is exactly what my goal is... 

4 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

@Smelly Joe Are you not worried some other bacteria or fungus might get in that starch solution and contaminate it?

I assume the BB and GSC are the original ones grown out previously?

No not to worried at all. In fact I'm brewing it again due to the success I had last season. I used a few added supplements but the Lacto was one of them from the start and will be part of my arsenal. I use it for feeding the soil and to foliar spray. Keeps PM away for sure. 

The BB and GSC is from last season that i had left over. Great strains and yields was insane... 

1 hour ago, GGG said:

Can't go wrong with Bactis , very good for soil

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

When I found it I was skeptical, but the end product, the smell, the things that can be done with it apart from gardening. I even drink it when i have made some... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PRODUCT, PRICE & SUPPLIER PAGE. 

THIS AREA WILL BE EDITED THROUGHOUT THE GROW TO GET A TOTAL AMOUNT SPENT ON THE GROW

Hydro Shop Brackenfell 

50 Liter 50/50 Coco Perlite blend - R200 each x 3

My Town  Nursery 

30 Liter Potting Soil - R35 each x 5 (Brand - Red Tractor) 

Plastic germination cups 

Free - Got mine from people that garden. Find old people and ask for their empty 6 pack

Germination Dome

Hydroponic.co.za. I got mine 3 years ago. They have big ones in stock for R195 and small ones for R70. 

Heating pad 30W

Pet Shop - R85 ( 3 years ago) 

Edited by Smelly Joe
Added info

So I went shopping today. Rolled a beautiful and tasty GSC x BB joint, took the wife to work and missioned off to the best adult store in my opinion. The guys over at the Hydro store in Brackenfell was friendly and helpful as always. I grabbed 3 bags of the 50/50 Coco Perlite blend. I was looking for some Amino Acid and micorizza, but unfortunately they did not stock. I cant seem to find at the other stores as well, the ones in my vacinity that is.

IMG_20210831_195131.thumb.jpg.b102951be9df47382fd8487fd2af96c1.jpg

After that I got back into the car, heades home but not after lighting the rest of that joint. I also stopped by the Nursery in my town and bought 5 bags of potting soil to mix mix the coco perlite mix. I will get some compost in anothet small town that has crushed egg shells in it. I used it last season and that extra calcium seemed to have helped. 

IMG_20210831_195217.thumb.jpg.47b3ab489939a4fb74474196445009f7.jpg

Before I left i dropped the seeds in water and by 19:00 all of them has sunk to the bottom. So I took them and placed them in their birthplace. So here goes season 2021!!! 

IMG_20210831_190621.thumb.jpg.9b626d5a72856d4e204398223cd7bbe2.jpg

IMG_20210831_192706.thumb.jpg.bb0d2447be23649e48c0127e559e3c1a.jpg

The Slurricane Cheese that I got from a grower is looking good with fattish leaves. I havent grown out this strain and have little knowledge about it except what I read. But then again, is it a true Slurricane Cheese or just a name and a unknown, maybe, could be that strain seed.??? I guess only time will tell. 

IMG_20210831_190715.thumb.jpg.30db96b1e14163fff7d1d86e9c723453.jpg

My next post should be with an update on the seeds. The Chocolate Gelato will also have her own thread seeing that it is a tester. I am only popping 2 this round cause i tried germinating one last season and I messed up. So the last 2 are the for back up... 

• Like 3

Thanks man. That info is really appreciated. I will pop in there over the weekend because yesterday was shopping and today is work. 
But thanx again for the help 
If Im not mistaken I think I saw some at Interlude Hydro also. Perhaps give them a call and find out if they have.

If you haven't been there, take just enough money for the item you need otherwise you will want to buy everything there, and they are very very reasonably priced.
  • Thanks 1

@SAgrower, thanx for that tip, BUT I always go shopping with my card, because I don't like to carry cash on me. Sooooooo.......it might be a good or bad thing. 

I checked my seeds this morning and same as last year the Pineapple Chunk doesn't waste any time. 5 /5 popped within 24 hours after they sank. Not only are they in a hurry to grow, but the nugs on them is mindblowing. Big and toight... LoL. 

IMG_20210901_092215.thumb.jpg.eba5ca40c55f94fabf070ca6d3f42eb8.jpg

So i planted them into those plastic 6 pack pots you get from buying 6 pack Marigolds, which i cut out to make handling and labeling easier... I used a 50/50 Coco Perlite Seedling starter mix. I had left over from last season. @SAgrower, I only needed starter soil for 3 seeds. And I walked away with a 15L seedling starter bag:-hilarious

IMG_20210901_093150.thumb.jpg.0ac382b8ed2c9517b8b7a2b350b83f3b.jpg

I labeled them and put them into the germination station to await there beautiful green smiles...

• Like 5