Licence to grow, process and package

John Stonedwell

Hi folks.

So I came across this exciting article of the first company to get a licence to produce, package and distribute cannabis and related products. They are also looking at entering the psilocybin space which I am very excited for.

The company, Cilo Cybin, is also looking at an IPO locally and internationally. I definitely want to find out more about this company but it seems like they got their shit together and also have the capital and expertise to enter into this market while it is in its infancy.  Might be a clever move to buy in if the company's strategy looks sound.

Enjoy the read.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/technology/515352/cannabis-company-plans-listing-after-being-handed-first-rights-to-grow-and-package-weed-products-in-south-africa/

Edited by John Stonedwell
Spelling error
  • Like 5

😁 I will open a Coffee Shop once it is legal ^^ I should IPO too hehehehe Is nice to have a pharmacist.. but with weed.. I prefer a guy knowing how to grow weed and skip the pharmacist 😂

So.. buy shares from my Coffee Shop.. 😁 once they are available 😈:-hairpull🤑

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 2

This is quite crazy, seems someone got their fingers in the right pie sitting at a table with the right people. R30/g "Wholesale" price is shocking, these guys are going to make an absolute killing! I worry that these big corporations are going to make it impossible for us small guys to get in on the business once it's all legal. They're being given opportunities that others are still being arrested for, and the only reason I can think of that happening is because someones pockets are being filled with cash.

This is great news, and I hope to not come across as a serious downer, but this does make me worry a little. I don't know, is it just me?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

The only way to counter that as a small guy would be to grow the dankest bud that everybody wants a piece of and sell it boutique style. Commercialization comes with uniformity and meh-ness. As a small time grower you would have the ability to focus on the finer details and not on scale, outclassing big commerce. Grow the best damn niche shit you can and put the utmost focus on absolute quality so that you can have people banging on your door for more.  My :-2cents

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

8 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:
10 hours ago, Martin7318 said:

This is quite crazy, seems someone got their fingers in the right pie sitting at a table with the right people. R30/g "Wholesale" price is shocking, these guys are going to make an absolute killing! I worry that these big corporations are going to make it impossible for us small guys to get in on the business once it's all legal. They're being given opportunities that others are still being arrested for, and the only reason I can think of that happening is because someones pockets are being filled with cash.

This is great news, and I hope to not come across as a serious downer, but this does make me worry a little. I don't know, is it just me?

That's just how business works. And there is a lot of things going on behind doors that people don't even know about. Weed is already being sold to pharmaceutical companies for testing and over sea dispensaries and people have no clue that this is actually already happing and with it still being illegal. What my friends company is doing is just hitting that same market "legitimately". But do you think they are really going to be the "first"? You need to drop at least 5M to build facility, everything needs to be to the T with requirements and safety, than you need a head pharmist in charge of all operations and product testing (lab testing not smoking test) all that must be done and obtained before officials come on site and approve it which than after you obtain a license to grow. Not everyone has that type of money But there's also a big number of facilities that are not licensed and are all operating. A big number actually. And guess whos getting a big cut? I won't go to into much detail on how I know this. And the truth is there is no place in the market for us home growers, unless you doing black market, start your own grow facility or know someone in a high position in those grow ops that can aprrove you as a grower and even that you won't sell your stuff. You will grow for them.. So as for home growers to grow and sell their stuff we most probably won't ever see that because than "someone" won't be getting a cut that way

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 5

yeah, fuuuuuug the system! 

I also see a way of getting your foot in the door by befriending and working with/for some of the big names who got their fingers in the Agri/Agro pie already, then shoving your whole head up the bosses ass. He doesn't have to be interested in cannabis at all, he doesn't even have to know you're a cannabis enthusiast either. 

those guys want you to be a money enthusiast, so if we really wana have a say from the word go we need to put our love for the plant aside and focus on what those big guys want, we become interested in what they're interested in and act like you're their friend. 

once you see the opportunity for them to make more money, you present it with a full proof plan (as if it was your own money). now you'll need a couple "people skills" to show bossman what you made of and most importantly you need to be able to deligate without turning people against you. the love for the plant and some deep pockets will not be the only thing that gets someone in. although you can kick things off with only those resources, but if you don't have a team of people behind you and supporting you (because you're supporting them) your whole plan gona fall flat in no time. 

there will be a forever changing and on going battle for the guys in the lead positions and a series of ever changing loop holes that need to be avoided, so having deep pockets may also only mean so much till the bottom of the pockets been reached and our lovely government has extracted every drop of profit they can from your poor little multimillion rands worth setup that means absolutely nothing to them. 

a legal team will be needed, although we have a couple of those in our community and quite a few activists that make it easier to rather befriend the legal types than to just "use them". a ton of people who know their paper work is on our side here, but they won't team up with a guy who doesn't have the right motives. 

much more so with us than any other country out there our government will rather take any chance it gets to beat the fuck out of its citizens and steal from them before conducting good business and make actuall money to help the country. having government connections really don't mean shit, infact it means more shitty times ahead for those guys. the fact that anyone gets to spend big bucks on the governments behalf is just tooo damn rich 🤣🤣🤣 what money? the government has literally less than no money, they're fucked. Universities struggle to get money from them....

sooooo yeah, quite a few ducks to line up before you can join the parade. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone seems to have an issue with guys putting their cocks on a block, risking millions. Been watching a couple legal grows for a couple years now and can only say the opposite to what you think. ON the other hand lots of "legal" growers are sitting with kilos not being able to do anything with it. Can you imagine how that feels. Well done to these guys who are taking the chance, commercialize cannabis. Hats off to you living the dream.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chris Jay said:

Everyone seems to have an issue with guys putting their cocks on a block, risking millions. Been watching a couple legal grows for a couple years now and can only say the opposite to what you think. ON the other hand lots of "legal" growers are sitting with kilos not being able to do anything with it. Can you imagine how that feels. Well done to these guys who are taking the chance, commercialize cannabis. Hats off to you living the dream.

I think what it comes down to is, people / the community want to be able to do it on the cheap and not have it limited to those who have millions to risk and lose.

Something more achievable for the average grower out there who does not have deep pockets.

• Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...

People investing big... dont risk a empty fridge. They usually have a lot more. So when they invest big before a law is released... that is just pure greed. They knew it can go sour... so dont complain when it does. Right now we are depending on the good will of the cops. You dont piss em off, they let you be, otherwise, they can act after the present law. Private use is not even implemented yet... they need 2 more years for that, even it should be done and dusted. 

I hope... really really hope, that it wont be a mission to get a licence for a coffee shop, grow and sell. But for now, i just wait. My Visa renewal took usually 4 to 6 weeks. Handed it in Feb, havent heard a thing yet 😂 burocracy is veeery slow at the moment. And hemp legelization wont be the top priority. Lets hope not ending in 25 licences for the highest bidder... or crap like that 😳

• Like 4