Living Organic Soil recommendations

Howzit fellow growers.

I am very excited for the upcoming outdoor season and would appreciate some recommendations on the best soil/amendments to use for a raised bed about 1m width, 2m length, 20cm height.  I am looking for the recommended amount to use and of course the best price/bag that you are aware of. I am using Orgasoilux at the moment, which is beautiful stuff but just a bit expensive for the amount that i require.

Shot and bless✌️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SkunkPharm said:

Why do you not use the soil amendment pack from Jamie? It is called the elemental blend. 

Howzit brother. It was sold out last time that i checked. Probably easier and safer to pay a little extra and get something that has the correct ratios of ingredients rather than trying my luck with mixing my own and probably burning my plants. Thrive seems to be the best value for money so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weskush said:

Howzit brother. It was sold out last time that i checked. Probably easier and safer to pay a little extra and get something that has the correct ratios of ingredients rather than trying my luck with mixing my own and probably burning my plants. Thrive seems to be the best value for money so far. 

You can get some recipes with a quick google search if all fails

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am a total soil doffie... i come from the hydro sector, DWC. Got told to use FF, so i do 😁

I enjoy soil for its simplicity.. but i also like to try new stuff. This Canadian guy does soil he mixes hinself, just waters and changes mix on repot.. we have anything like that local? Would like to try it..

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Weskush said:

Gave this a quick glance and upon seeing the price, started feeling a bit agitated... But thanks for sharing brother ✌️

hahahah sheeeeet sorry brother, that wasn't meant as an suggestion for you, juuuust cz prom was referring to mr.canuk who mixes a premix organic dry ammendment that's why I show those, that's a similar product, but yeah for your situation I would recommend either the elemental blend as above, or just keep it plain and simple and grab a bag of wormcastings. 

WAIT, first gotta ask. what you are working with already? I see this is for a raised bed. the existing soil, is it right for gardening? no use to moer a bunch of expensive products on some seasand soil or some clay rich soil, so knowing what you working with is key here. 

now you gona look for a base, because you can't mix the whole thing with wormcastings either...

I have made MANY MANY MANY garden beds. and when I say MANY....... lol. just have a look at the beds at Babylonstoren Gardens in Fraschoek, great inspiration there, they remake those beds monthly and have literally hundereds of beds all made in different ways and with different little tips and tricks. As part of my permaculture internship I worked those beds for a while... 

Maybe show a picture of the area, dig like a spade depth, see the soil profile, if it's too sandy or too much clay you gona have to work the bottom soil first.

THEN you fill ontop. get in contact with the nearest dairy farm around your area, ask them what a bakkie load of fresh cow manure will cost. befriendly, they don't sell the stuff like that and if you get your wording right you might be getting a bakkie load for free. otherwise search for local compost makers, go to where they make the stuff and ask for the freshest straight from the cows stomach poop. 

you can use horse poop too, but they carry loads of weeds, because a horse does a poor job of digestion. a cow has 4 "compartments" in their stomach so they digest weed seeds and their poop is way waaaayy hotter. 

with either of these, once you filled the bed you gona have about a week of stinky smells lingering in your yard (I love the fresh farm smell) probably a bit more so with cow poop, but then horse poop attracts gnats. so again the cow poop wins. you gona have to let it sit and water the stuff in for a good month, tilling once weekly, but don't plant anything for a month or you'll burn the shit out any plants. 

from there you golden, you gona work that little bed for a good long time before having to bring in new soil again or top dress with new compost. 

• Like 2

I contacted the guys at Thrive and unfortunately the shipping to Cape Town was about R2000. Guys are super nice and friendly, just wish there was a cheaper option as I also wanted to experiment with their soil.
  • Sad 1

I agree 2000 is a bit much just for transport, but it does have to travel quite a distance and bulk soil is not something that packs light. I have heard of people scouting around facebook for groups in the areas you need transport between and then make a post there for what you want transported, see if you get any bites. 

perhaps there's someone with a empty bakkie driving down at some point that's willing to help you for less than 2k atleast, but you still will have to pay transport in any case. 

they really do have a nice price though and I wouldn't mind trying it myself, but seeing as some forum members are going to try it out for us I might aswell sit back and watch, if it's good stuff it'll get enough support to hopefully make it to the retailers around here, hopefully. 😁

Most ready to use cannabis soils (30L) bags cost R180-220 . I buy those then do a grow and then amend vir Elemental Blend . Phone Jamie's and let them keep a bag for you . If you don't have old soil you can contact me I can get you some to amend.

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, GGG said:

Most ready to use cannabis soils (30L) bags cost R180-220 . I buy those then do a grow and then amend vir Elemental Blend . Phone Jamie's and let them keep a bag for you . If you don't have old soil you can contact me I can get you some to amend.

think @Weskush is trying to build a bed outdoors, he sais 1m x 2m wide and 20cm deep so I am assuming this will be ontop of soil and not completely a box, so I don't think used ff will be best option even if he ammends it with elemental blend. 

• Like 1

there are a few generic brands that are local who you can get potting soil from. Reliance being one of them then there's also DoubleGrow and a few others. I have to say I don't really trust any of them. I used to support Reliance, so if I had to choose between the two I would go with Reliance, but get their compost and work it into the beds, not potting soil as it would contain too much sand. Work the compost into the beds, water it in well for a good 2 weeks or so then you're ready to go. 

Personally if I was making beds, I would go cow poop and put in the physical labour, tilling and watering into the beds for a month or so. We live in farm country, driving through farm areas you bound to find a farm that has compost heaps or cows, very easy to find good manure around.

• Like 1

think @Weskush is trying to build a bed outdoors, he sais 1m x 2m wide and 20cm deep so I am assuming this will be ontop of soil and not completely a box, so I don't think used ff will be best option even if he ammends it with elemental blend. 
Hey , not FF but it will work , I have done it even with FF , but then again it's not the Green bag FF it's there Super Soil that they make for me , works brilliant.

This is plain Coco and plain Spagnum Peat Moss , added Elemental Blend at a ratio of 1L Elemental to 10L medium as per label. I have used it before like this and the grows was good. Perlite il add just before I pot up.
Hope this helps .
Hydroponics.co.za also stock it.IMG-20210807-WA0012.jpgIMG-20210807-WA0013.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

hahahah sheeeeet sorry brother, that wasn't meant as an suggestion for you, juuuust cz prom was referring to mr.canuk who mixes a premix organic dry ammendment that's why I show those, that's a similar product, but yeah for your situation I would recommend either the elemental blend as above, or just keep it plain and simple and grab a bag of wormcastings. 

WAIT, first gotta ask. what you are working with already? I see this is for a raised bed. the existing soil, is it right for gardening? no use to moer a bunch of expensive products on some seasand soil or some clay rich soil, so knowing what you working with is key here. 

now you gona look for a base, because you can't mix the whole thing with wormcastings either...

I have made MANY MANY MANY garden beds. and when I say MANY....... lol. just have a look at the beds at Babylonstoren Gardens in Fraschoek, great inspiration there, they remake those beds monthly and have literally hundereds of beds all made in different ways and with different little tips and tricks. As part of my permaculture internship I worked those beds for a while... 

Maybe show a picture of the area, dig like a spade depth, see the soil profile, if it's too sandy or too much clay you gona have to work the bottom soil first.

THEN you fill ontop. get in contact with the nearest dairy farm around your area, ask them what a bakkie load of fresh cow manure will cost. befriendly, they don't sell the stuff like that and if you get your wording right you might be getting a bakkie load for free. otherwise search for local compost makers, go to where they make the stuff and ask for the freshest straight from the cows stomach poop. 

you can use horse poop too, but they carry loads of weeds, because a horse does a poor job of digestion. a cow has 4 "compartments" in their stomach so they digest weed seeds and their poop is way waaaayy hotter. 

with either of these, once you filled the bed you gona have about a week of stinky smells lingering in your yard (I love the fresh farm smell) probably a bit more so with cow poop, but then horse poop attracts gnats. so again the cow poop wins. you gona have to let it sit and water the stuff in for a good month, tilling once weekly, but don't plant anything for a month or you'll burn the shit out any plants. 

from there you golden, you gona work that little bed for a good long time before having to bring in new soil again or top dress with new compost. 

Thanks for the info brother! Very much appreciated. My soil is very sandy where i'm planning the bed due to the coastal environment. Still between two minds if i should just get a 100L fabric pot and cage it up like the Mendo guys. The reason for the bed is that im planning on growing some veggies etc also. Will try get hold of some koei stront either way and see where i end up.✌️

Edited by Weskush