Original Skunk

Weskush

On 8/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, Weskush said:

the pure strain if that even exists anymore.

this is key brother, original skunk#1 does not exist anymore. 

well, I shouldn't say it doesn't exist at all, because I haven't met every single grower on the planet, but even the highly regarded growers of the world who are doing some big shit, the cannabis kings can't even get their hands on the skunk#1 everyone is looking for. chances are it might still be growing somewhere, but probably not somewhere it's meant to be found. I would bet it's either being shared amongst a select few who know what they are doing and care to preserve the genetic, or it just doesn't exist anymore.

next best thing is phenohunting a variety of hybrids that some breeder is calling "skunk#1" because he made a cross that seemed similar to the skunk and you might find something similar to what you're looking for. 

this is really only if one has ever had the privilege to experience original skunk and can remember what to look for, otherwise how would you even tell if it was what it's supposed to be, even if you do find the original genetic? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:02 PM, Weskush said:

Howzit fellow 420 members!

I am looking for Original Skunk seeds. Can anyone recommend a breeder/site?

There is a lot of Skunk crosses out there but i'm on the search for the pure strain if that even exists anymore.

Shot✌️

Try Authentic Genetics. You will have to import ot though. It is probably as close as you will get. Follow Mel Frank on Insta they are the real OG's

Screenshot_20210806-114146.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

this is key brother, original skunk#1 does not exist anymore. 

well, I shouldn't say it doesn't exist at all, because I haven't met every single grower on the planet, but even the highly regarded growers of the world who are doing some big shit, the cannabis kings can't even get their hands on the skunk#1 everyone is looking for. chances are it might still be growing somewhere, but probably not somewhere it's meant to be found. I would bet it's either being shared amongst a select few who know what they are doing and care to preserve the genetic, or it just doesn't exist anymore.

next best thing is phenohunting a variety of hybrids that some breeder is calling "skunk#1" because he made a cross that seemed similar to the skunk and you might find something similar to what you're looking for. 

this is really only if one has ever had the privilege to experience original skunk and can remember what to look for, otherwise how would you even tell if it was what it's supposed to be, even if you do find the original genetic? 

Are you referring to Skunk #1 or RKS? RKS has reached that mythical unicorn status, with some even questioning if it ever really existed. Skunk #1 was brought to market by Sensi Seeds. They still sell it : https://sensiseeds.com/en/cannabis-seeds/sensi-seeds/skunk-1?sqr=skunk&

Edited by Golden-Goose
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Golden-Goose said:

Are you referring to Skunk #1 or RKS? RKS has reached that mythical unicorn status, with some even questioning if it ever really existed. Skunk #1 was brought to market by Sensi Seeds. They still sell it : https://sensiseeds.com/en/cannabis-seeds/sensi-seeds/skunk-1?sqr=skunk&

to be honest I was under the impression that all the original genetics from the plant that was grown to cross with, which would have been this "skunk" weed, had seen so many different grow rooms/setups all over the world and now exists in other strains to certain extent, but the first true "skunk" unbread or crossed with, was called "skunk#1" and that it's basically just a myth these days 🤷‍♂️

could be way off with this, but hey this is what I have heard and how my perception of the situation sits at the moment, if you could tell me more on the subject? maybe I should dig into it a little 😁

Skunk #1 is very real. Wether or not Sensi still has the original P1 stock might be up for debate. Breeders will sometimes lose their P1 stock. Often because of police raids or theft. That's why cuts will sometimes be labeled as "pre" a certain date, so that a prospective buyer knows he is getting the original that made a name for itself, and not an attempted recreation of the strain.

RKS (roadkill skunk) is supposed to be a pheno of Skunk #1 that stank to high heaven. Apparently it smells like a dead skunk... whatever that smells like.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on my quest for Skunk.

I managed to get my hands on a Critical freebie fem. seed from RQS. This strain is a Skunk x Afghani, which makes it pretty close to what i am looking for.

Very keen to grow this lady outdoors this season🌳✌️

IMG_E6203.JPG

Edited by Weskush
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Weskush said:

A little update on my quest for Skunk.

I managed to get my hands on a Critical freebie fem. seed from RQS. This strain is a Skunk x Afghani, which makes it pretty close to what i am looking for.

Very keen to grow this lady outdoors this season🌳✌️

IMG_E6203.JPG

Nice man. Excited to see how it pans out for you. 

@The Grass Baas grew out a Critical outdoor once and it was one of the smoothest outdoor smokes I have ever had. 

I am currently germinating the White Afghan Skunk by OSG and its supposed to be a very close representation of the Super Skunk strain. If you were able to get to Pretoria I would shoot you a cutting anytime. 

This is how they describe the strain:

"

The cut of Super Skunk used is a high yielding cultivar from the 90's. This is original SS, and not the watered down stuff you see these days. Old school skunk funk with notes of ripe mango.

Unfortunately this cut of Super Skunk does not take well to pollen, and doesn't throw a lot of seeds. So an Old Widow male was used to revitalize the line. Old Widow was chosen to keep the traits of this stellar Super Skunk intact.

Don't be fooled by hype. A proper cut of Super Skunk is pure gold. Some of the best smoke I've ever had."

20210817_155608.thumb.jpg.da0a6b683e11b2290f8758d69d95b287.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Fire! 2

12 minutes ago, Weskush said:

Very nice! Shot for the offer man but i'm in CT ekse. Keep us posted on this grow please. Very curious to see the progress. Laka brother✌️

Will keep you posted man.

I will pop you a pm and then I can maybe arrange to send you a seed as I have 5 fems and only intend on growing one. Let's just hope my germination rate holds solid 😂

• Wow 1

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the original skunk does exist. If you are interested I would start with agseedco's skunk, direct from Mel Frank collection. You can also look at Aficionado French Connection who published a post of an IBL '74 Skunk. I think AFC probably got their skunk from Todd McCormick ( AGSEEDCO ), its totally legit and he ships to SA.

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire! 1

11 hours ago, Chris Jay said:

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but the original skunk does exist. If you are interested I would start with agseedco's skunk, direct from Mel Frank collection. You can also look at Aficionado French Connection who published a post of an IBL '74 Skunk. I think AFC probably got their skunk from Todd McCormick ( AGSEEDCO ), its totally legit and he ships to SA.

You included some Skunk No1 seed with the book purchase I made earlier in the year. Where are they from? 

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

well, once all grown out I would love to hear from the guys with the totally legit original skunk seeds how close to the real deal their genetics got? 😅 

The grower/breeder of those strains is Todd McCormick, he is direct friends with Mel Frank mentioned in the cool IG post at the top of this topic. He is the man responsible for bringing skunk and a number of other strains to the European market in 80's, 90's. With Todds rep, experience, integrity, I think you will be dealing with the real deal.

11 minutes ago, Adansonia digitata said:

You included some Skunk No1 seed with the book purchase I made earlier in the year. Where are they from? 

Unfortunately its Skunk #1 regular from seedsman and not AGseedco. I have always enjoyed seedsman seedbank, they are great, but not to sure about their bulk genetics which I buy.  I am sure I sent you pink kush too, grow that out, its on fire at the moment and not found commerically anywhere.

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris Jay said:

Unfortunately its Skunk #1 regular from seedsman and not AGseedco. I have always enjoyed seedsman seedbank, they are great, but not to sure about their bulk genetics which I buy.  I am sure I sent you pink kush too, grow that out, its on fire at the moment and not found commerically anywhere.

Okay cool, I will run the Pink Kush with the next lot. 

14 minutes ago, Chris Jay said:

The grower/breeder of those strains is Todd McCormick, he is direct friends with Mel Frank mentioned in the cool IG post at the top of this topic. He is the man responsible for bringing skunk and a number of other strains to the European market in 80's, 90's. With Todds rep, experience, integrity, I think you will be dealing with the real deal.

yeah, that's wild! 😬

the wild thing being that people who experienced the original skunk in the era it gained popularity are still around today and it is amongst them that the strain has gained this unicorn status, as they say, yet you're telling me anyone who has internet can just simply buy the strain today, order it online and it's gona be the exact thing everyone is buzzing on about? 

I think there is a big gap in the discussion that is pretty key to the object here and that is the genetic profile. 

I still carry my ancestors genetics, but I don't look the same as them or anything. Why is that? I guess, because of time basically, and that everything changes all the time. Environmental conditions trigger physiological morphology, the impact of human intervention and how it's surroundings and the longitude and latitude of the plants will all have an impact on its genetic profile and therefore on its future generations. 

The genetic might still be somewhere, but that profile is lost. maybe through extensive phenohunting you might find something close, but sooooo many people have been hunting, crossing and back crossing, just to get a similar profile to the original skunk that was lost (this is why we have 1000 different breeders claiming they got something similar to the original skunk, every seed bank has a different one, because of this fact) that I don't feel confident enough in believing untill I've seen and smelled something that makes me think of a skunk and falls under description given by one of the real big time breeders. because I would have nothing else to "cross reference" it to anyway, it would just have to alter my mind itself. 

• Like 2

as they say, yet you're telling me anyone who has internet can just simply buy the strain today, order it online and it's gona be the exact thing everyone is buzzing on about? 

I am glad you followed up with your comment and you are perfectly right, but its also up for debate. Take a deep breath I am not fighting, just pointing out something we seemed to overlook here as internet cannabis growing geeks.  You wrong in saying anyone with internet can buy these strains, this is post is a good example. We have a range of geeks on here, with internet, with cannabis knowledge and not aware skunk is here.

maybe through extensive phenohunting you might find something close

Evironment, location will change anything, agreed. But you must realise that cannabis has been a big business since the 70s in Europe and later in the USA. Seedbanks like Seedsman have stored seeds seeds since last century, companies like Phylos Bioscience have ripped "DNA" from genetics from the 1800's. Phylos for instance only need a sample of the plant to "sequence the profile", sorry my terminology might be wrong but Iam not a scientist or researcher, but they only needed a plant sample to get the "genetic profile" of a plant. I dont know how it works, I just know its state of the art. I think things will only get better in the future and we will have access to the old strains of yesteryear.

People have always said Durban Poison does not exist, two of the most knowleageble cannabis people said to me its BS. I smiled when they said that, but it was crushing. Its like saying Kush does not exist, eventhough its been hybridized etc to hell and back. I think alot goes into making a good smoke, environment, genetics, nutrients, to get the same profile I am sure is difficult but its possible.

Not inflating my ego, I have been on the trail of Durban, african landraces for a decade or three. My reasoning was more to do with the culture/packaging and was also the reason I really looked into cannabis as a hobby then. A mate who started growing in the UK  around '95 came back and told me about all these unique strains, white widow, Northern lights, skunk, that for me was one of the catalysts for strain hunting but funny enough I was more interested in the packaging naming conventions, DP slugs, pencils and sticks, cobs. You would be an ahole to think they all contained durban or malawi but the sample sticks I have been grown by the same family, from the same region for decades, they all look the same, smoke the same and have been sent overseas for testing and breeding.

this is why we have 1000 different breeders claiming they got something similar to the original skunk, every seed bank has a different one, because of this fact) that I don't feel confident enough in believing untill I've seen and smelled something that makes me think of a skunk and falls under description given by one of the real big time breeders.

Whats the problem. You have a guy, who has a background from the 80's, met Mel Frank in the 90's, bred and stored his seeds. Have a little faith and trust. South Africa's market is way behind the curve of cannabis, we are probably at the stage where Europe was in the 1990's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Fire! 1

I do have trust issues... aswell as faith issues 🤣 

yeah all is said with good intent brother, thanks 😁

I know there are couple facilities out there that have been banking pure plant genetics through the years, but we're not getting our seeds from them.

Think about this, if there is a specific guy who has his hands on a genetic and been keeping it pure by genetic isolation and he knows that the whole world is looking for the strain, there is gona be 1 of 2 outcomes. 1 - he will protect it at all costs and will be almost impossible to get. 2 - he makes it available and everyone will have it. 

this forum / thread is also a good example for how badly people want this strain. from all corners of the earth people are looking for it. I put the little bit of faith I can gather in the idea that someone probably has grown out a couple of the seeds from the place you talking about, which would be very plausible since they're for sale to anyone who can find their way to the website you just dropped a link to. and that crumbles my trust in the idea that they might have the real deal profile. 

so much has happened and changed and time has passed that these days you will get a different strain, with a different lineage completely, but carries a profile more similar to the original skunk profile than the actual original skunk genetic profile that gained all the buzz back in the day. and we wouldn't even know it. 

• Like 1