Flowering times as per breeders

GGG

Question

Hi fellow growers . I know that breeders have mostly the perfect setup and know there shit , but I haven't as yet got milky thrichomes in the flowering time they suggest or claim. A 8 week strain takes me atleast 10week and then almost no amber except a few on sugar leaves , and a 9 week takes 11.

My environment that I grow in is relatively close to what is considered good , not excellent.

How many of you harvest and have milky/amber in the breeders timeframe ?

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

4 answers to this question

I concur.

I just use the breeder time frames as guidelines as they mostly wanna sell shit that "flowers quickly" but in reality that is far from an accurate representation.

I sometimes wonder whether the breeder counts pistil development as the start of flower or the flip to 12/12.

I also check the trichome and most of my plants go over breeder guideline. Some even up to 2 weeks over the guideline. Especially when they say 8 week flower..

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Without a doubt, the timeline most breeders give is not accurate.

You do get strains which have amber in 8 to 9 weeks from flipping to 12 / 12 but not all that common.

One thing to keep in mind is the pheno variation as well in a pack of seeds, this can lead to the difference as well as some breeders just stating a shorter flowering time to make the strain seem more appealing.

Differences in how people refer to the stages the plants life or when they start counting can contribute towards the variation as well.
In this forum it seems majority refer to flower and start counting from day 1 on the day the lights are changed to 12 / 12. I do this myself, however the first 3 weeks of this I refer to as the pre-flowering phase and after that comes the actual flowering phase. Some may separate the two and reference the flowering phase (after the stretch / pre-flowering) as the time.

Take the breeders guideline with a pinch of a salt, to be on the safe side add around 2 weeks to their timeline to prevent unhappiness from expecting a short flowering strain and having to wait longer to harvest.

Exact same applies to autoflowers, if anything the timelines given on autoflowers is often far more inaccurate compared to the photoperiod flowering timelines.

I feel 10 weeks of flower is average.

Shorter than 10 weeks is a plant which flowers quickly. Longer than 10 weeks is a plant which takes it's time to flower.

The other difference is under what conditions do people consider a plant ready to harvest? Some might like all cloudy with little to no amber and others want it as amber as possible.

Would be great if it could be standardized, however it is simply a guideline and one which should be taken with a pinch of salt 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1