True Auto strains

TheLazyFisherman

Question

Greetings all

I've read of so called autos that are actually fast

flower, still needing 16/8 to actually induce flower.

I would really like to try my hand at a true auto that i can run 24hrs lights on.

Anyone have experience with true autos?

Would really appreciate your advice on breeders and strains.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 answers to this question

What's up man... Where are you finding such autos? 

Sounds like some nob is trying his luck at selling seeds without too much knowledge about what is what. 

An auto cannot be anything other than an auto... If it needs any sort of light schedule to induce flowering... It's a photo period plant. 

So even tho they are fast... I'm guessing in flowering... It's still better to grow plants that flower under 12h light. 

Hope that helps a bit! Oh and take a look at the vendors section on the forum... You cannot grow wrong with those breeders! 

Biltong and buds

Goldengoose

Daggafontein

Cannabist. 

These guys can sort you out with true autos... Or your flavor photo period

• Agree 1

I do believe any auto left on 24hrs light schedule will not flower 🤔 I've seen some growers actually do this to keep an auto mother plant and then grow out the cuttings as one would a standard auto. One way of keeping a fire auto strain in your stable.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

I do believe any auto left on 24hrs light schedule will not flower 🤔 I've seen some growers actually do this to keep an auto mother plant and then grow out the cuttings as one would a standard auto. One way of keeping a fire auto strain in your stable.

Now I've read or seen guys grow them under 24h lights, no issues, very interesting.

• Confused 1

Autos have nothing to do with light cycle , its a genetic code . Once the plants reaches a certain genetic age it will flower .

No plant likes 24/7. plants need to sleep , so even though they will flower under 24/7 light there's no way they plant will ever be able to utilize all that light and go into sleep mode so you really just wasting money running lights for 24/7 . This will invariably induce a small amount of stress , I have always had best results with autos under 18/6

Just my 2 cents 

• Agree 1

If you look at what is happening is the usa none of them grow auto's indoors. The only reason they grow autos is to get multiple harvests outside with out having to do light deprivation. If you want to waist money on electricity by all means grow them indoors. If not just run photo period plants at 12/12 indoors and you pretty much have an auto flowering plant. Auto flowering plants trigger flowering when they become root bound or when the roots hit the side of your container. I have seen massive auto's in 50l pots. My 2c's wait another month then plant your autos outdoors and harvest end on november.

• Agree 1

Used to run autos extensively and have flowered them at all light cycles (12/12, 18/6, 20/4 and 24/0)

An autoflower is an autoflower. Fast flowering photoperiod plants are not autoflowers. If you're buying an auto, assuming the breeder hasn't fucked up in the process of creating them. They will flower regardless of light cycle in 99% of times.

I've heard of a few isolated cases where people found their auto wasn't flowering so they lowered the light cycle to induce it. This is often anecdotal though, as the grower may simply have triggered the flowering response in a photoperiod seed accidentally sold as an auto.

PS: I've found 20/4 to be the best flowering cycle for autoflowers.

• Like 2

I’m busy now with some auto’s under 24/0.
I’ve been wanting to try this for some time to see how they turn out.
So far at 32 days from imbibition they are short and bushy, however I think I might have stunted them a bit with salt build up in the coco. I did a flush after seeing what I thought was nitrogen toxicity and the runoff was ph6 but EC5 (!).

I am running the feed EC around 1.1 to 1.3 and have done 2 x big defoliations plus LST.
Growing in 3 Gallon autopots with F1, TA nutrients and CO2 at 1200 ppm.

The Jack Herer Autos were a disaster with only 1 out of 5 seeds germinating.
All the rest look ok, if a bit small.

I’m considering changing the light to 20/4 once flowering starts (if it starts ).
I’d like opinions on that.

Another point regarding light- if I’m running 24/0 then my DLI will need to still be an ideal for the plant, in other words less intensity (dimmed). So I’m running my lights at 75% and getting between 550 and 650 ppfd at canopy height.
Does anyone know how to calculate DLI? And then to know if it’s too much for autos on 24/0?
As I said I’m on day 33 from imbibition and around day 28 from sprout.

@Dookie69 DLI is a far better measurement IMO, however with Cannabis most seem to have standardized light cycles.

You can use this to easily calculate the DLI: https://www.waveformlighting.com/horticulture/daily-light-integral-dli-calculator

Not sure what the DLI for Autoflowers should be though. I imagine similar to photoperiods in flower, which would be 30 to 43 DLI.

These readings are at canopy height around my 5x5 tent. I’m using my iPhone and a piece of paper over the front camera to get the readings. Its an app that Shane from MIGRO recommended for iPhones as a cheap PPFD meter, called “Photone”.

Anyway taking an average of 575 PPFD, over 24hrs of light, and applying the formula above, I come up with a DLI of 49,68 which is quite high however I am running 1200ppm CO2.

My lights in this tent are in 3 rows rear to front, each row on it’s own meanwell driver (I haven’t tried to meticulously even them out yet, they are running approx 65 to 70% power)

Any comments from the growing gods out there will be appreciated.
Remember these are Autoflowers.