1st Grow & Stealth Micro Cab

syk0t1k

I've been collecting bag seed from the what i class as my best / or favorite over the past months. Was looking at them and thought why am i even keeping these? Let’s germ them and see which pop! So my luck all 10 seed's germinated, and once you see that first sign of life, it's near impossible just to stop there. I used the glass of water method and the paper towel method just for experimentation purposes, both work flawlessly provided your seed’s are good.

IMG_0111_zpsoi4lx8o1.jpg

I had previously decided to build a small cab or do a PC grow which never materialized... So had some supplies from that plan. I popped those babies into a 50/50 coco perlite mix in seedling tray’s I had found in the garden and waited patiently for them to break surface.

The first 6 I may have planted them to deep, so the remaining four I put a little closer to the surface of the medium. In a couple of day’s they started to break the surface at varying rates.

Breaking through:

IMG_0116_zpspppvldp3.jpg

They were looking pretty good at this point:

IMG_0118_zpsoeebr5mf.jpg

I’ve made a lot of mistakes so far, I had no light source to begin with so they stretched quite a bit. I also made the mistake of using nute’s too soon and burn was evident very quickly, since then ive been watering with store bought distilled water, supposedly with a Ph of 6.

Since then I’ve built a small micro cab, lined with Mylar, using 4 15w 6500k cfl’s at the moment. Still some work to be done such as light trap’s and a simple door latch.

Pretty happy with this setup!

IMG_0123_zpsyaa0kpvw.jpg

IMG_0124_zpsaj1kdiyt.jpg

There are some major issue’s with these seedlings and I am hoping you guys could point me in the right direction to hopefully prevent total loss, this is my first attempt so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are individual images of them all:

IMG_0125_zps44dvysii.jpg

IMG_0126_zps1eyhbvxz.jpg

IMG_0127_zpsdm46xtzg.jpg

IMG_0128_zps7utcxqhd.jpg

IMG_0129_zpsywzfbev9.jpg

IMG_0130_zpsugd0bogh.jpg

IMG_0131_zpszrjn0zss.jpg

IMG_0132_zps9fyqxe1y.jpg

IMG_0133_zpsphegmptl.jpg

IMG_0134_zps9od6qze0.jpg

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Syk0t1kPB/slideshow/

Hey dude You're overwatering. The amount of water sitting in the red tray with the cups in is just way too much water to be around such young plants. Get a toothpick, and poke holes all around the side toward the bottom of your styro cups. I like to water the cups outside the cab, until the run off stops, and then return the cups to the cab. Water until you see some runoff. You'll quickly learn how much causes runoff, and water every third day. Give them two weeks in the cups, then transplant to the largest container you plan on using. Judging from the size of your cab, you should aim for between 1 - 2 liter pots. Switch to flower two weeks after that. Keep your watering schedule at 2 - 3 days.

Cool thanks! Ive been watering to the point of run off just, never thought it would be bad for run off to sit in the tray, i suppose the medium would probably wick up from the bottom? It's hard to judge with the coco because after a day, the medium feel's really dry! 

They have been in the cab a week today, will give them another week and water again, Tuesday night / Wednesday morning.

Ive got one hole in the middle of the bottom of the cup's, are you saying i should put holes on the side's? Also when should i introduce nutrient's? 

Hope they recover! Thanks for the feedback!

Cool thanks! Ive been watering to the point of run off just, never thought it would be bad for run off to sit in the tray, i suppose the medium would probably wick up from the bottom? It's hard to judge with the coco because after a day, the medium feel's really dry!

It's not a bad thing if a little bit of run off sits in the tray, you just gotta make sure the bottom of the pot is suspended from the water. If the bottom of the pot sits in water the medium will become water logged at the bottom of the pot and will remain water logged until the water in the catchment tray/saucer dries up. If the roots have reached the bottom of the pot, most likely have in your case, those roots will drown and you'll get the death which you see in those pics

:-peace

Cool thanks! Ive been watering to the point of run off just, never thought it would be bad for run off to sit in the tray, i suppose the medium would probably wick up from the bottom? It's hard to judge with the coco because after a day, the medium feel's really dry!

It's not a bad thing if a little bit of run off sits in the tray, you just gotta make sure the bottom of the pot is suspended from the water. If the bottom of the pot sits in water the medium will become water logged at the bottom of the pot and will remain water logged until the water in the catchment tray/saucer dries up. If the roots have reached the bottom of the pot, most likely have in your case, those roots will drown and you'll get the death which you see in those pics :-peace

Ok got it! So are these seedling's dead and gone? or is recovery still possible?

Update as of today, pulled a few today that were not dead but just not making any progress... i've left 5 that look as though they're making a comeback.

Temp / Humidity monitor will arrive Monday, i have also added another fan for airflow. Watering once every 3 days with a light misting every now and then.

IMG_0140_zpslriih4to.jpg

IMG_0139_zps9astcp6y.jpg

IMG_0138_zps50xzydek.jpg

IMG_0137_zps9yxgakch.jpg

IMG_0136_zpsy6uyqofa.jpg

IMG_0135_zpsemiuniqe.jpg

Maybe even stretch that watering schedule a bit more to like every 5 days for now. Let it get to the point where you pick up the cup and it almost feels like there's nothing in the cup. Coco and perlite is extremely light when dry and you want your medium to almost get dry between feedings/waterings(not entirely) at this stage of a plants growth . The plant needs to establish a strong root zone and a lack of abundant water encourages more root growth

Maybe even stretch that watering schedule a bit more to like every 5 days for now. Let it get to the point where you pick up the cup and it almost feels like there's nothing in the cup. Coco and perlite is extremely light when dry and you want your medium to almost get dry between feedings/waterings(not entirely) at this stage of a plants growth . The plant needs to establish a strong root zone and a lack of abundant water encourages more root growth

Thank's ill give it a try, im getting to know the weights of the cups straight after watering, and as you mentioned above to where it feel's empty. 

Should i be introducing nutes yet? and when should they be moved to there final container?

So ive finally got my hand's on a temp & RH monitor. Temps are too high sitting at around 31 with a RH of about 60% i have now opened the door to my space slightly which has dropped temp down to 28 degrees. 

What is the optimum range, and any suggestion's on how to keep it there?

So ive finally got my hand's on a temp & RH monitor. Temps are too high sitting at around 31 with a RH of about 60% i have now opened the door to my space slightly which has dropped temp down to 28 degrees. What is the optimum range, and any suggestion's on how to keep it there?

Check out this article for more information

So ive finally got my hand's on a temp & RH monitor. Temps are too high sitting at around 31 with a RH of about 60% i have now opened the door to my space slightly which has dropped temp down to 28 degrees. What is the optimum range, and any suggestion's on how to keep it there?

Check out this article for more information

Thank's that site is one of my most visited bookmarks!

Managed to get temps down to a steady 25 degrees just by changing the location of my box. humidity is at 50% and should probably be a bit higher at this stage. Plant's have definitely made an improvement. im not ready to give up on them just yet! will post pic's later. 

This post should probably move to the grow log's section as that is what it has become!

• 2 weeks later...

updates!

So im down to 4 plants now the others were so stunted and looked least likely to make a comeback.

This one looked terrible initially but appears to have bounced back quite nicely! Stoked!

IMG_0166_zpskzv5reig.jpg

A bit droopy don't know if its normal but looking healthy.

IMG_0165_zpssmcupgrj.jpg

Not sure about this one...

IMG_0164_zpss6mp3h05.jpg

And last but not least:

IMG_0163_zpszx7bs6bc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Don't get despondent bud. Give it another go- you'll get it. I was just looking at your last pics- those cups still looking too wet to me. Also, is there a reason you're wetting the leaves? Next time, pour your water carefully around the stem only. Try using a fixed measure of liquid at each watering- I'm thinking about 10 - 20 ml per styro cup. See how that goes, and then change your technique to suit your rate of growth, or your preference. Remember- no nutes for about 2 weeks. I also struggled with this. I let it go before, and I should prolly have said something, my bad- the toothpick holes you put in the cups. The pattern you made was spot on, but the lower row should have been just above the base of the cup, like AT the base. As you push the toothpick through from the side, the toothpick should just touch the base of the cup on the inside. I also remember how frustrating it was when nobody had anything to say while I was struggling- I for one will try be a little better with that. Later!

I definitely have not given up! It's just hard to pinpoint where exactly things went south, that coco mix was drying extremely quickly i wasn't watering until it was absolutely bone dry. The wet leaves was from light misting in an effort to bring up the RH.

What i do know is that i germinated before my box was ready, so they sat without adequate lighting for a while. Then use of nutes when i shouldn't have.

My next run is going to be with an organic soil mix, may be getting a cutting or two from a friend.

What i don't know is how does feeding work with soil are nutes used or will the plants get everything they need from the medium?

learning curves my man. my plant isn't doing well either, but that's how we avoid mistakes in future, research, help from whoever can, patience and a bit of, lets see if this works... just my :-2cents:-flyinghi

I hear you brother! it's an incredibly fascinating and highly addictive learning process!

Those plants look sad....lol. Kidding man, just stick it through Bro. Could even just be very week genetics. Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Thanks man, look out for the new post soon!

I definitely have not given up! It's just hard to pinpoint where exactly things went south, that coco mix was drying extremely quickly i wasn't watering until it was absolutely bone dry. The wet leaves was from light misting in an effort to bring up the RH.

What i do know is that i germinated before my box was ready, so they sat without adequate lighting for a while. Then use of nutes when i shouldn't have.

Things went south at the very beginning of your grow and from there your plants were trying their best to catch up ever since. I think the initial overwatering led to a poorly formed root zone incapable of serving the plant properly so your best move was to to start over.

What i don't know is how does feeding work with soil are nutes used or will the plants get everything they need from the medium?

Depends on what soil you use. In most cases, especially for a beginner, you will need to use nutes eventually.

I thought I would share the information of the manufacturer of CCPS:

Van Der Knaap Compact Coco Potting Soil is fertilised coco potting soil which comes in compact block bags. When water is added, the contents of the bag expand and are transformed into ready-to-use potting soil. The potting soil contains a carefully selected blend of nutrients which last for several months.

Source: http://www.vanderknaap.eu/en/products-retail/1321608761/Compact-Coco-Potting-Soil

@syk0t1k Check out this link http://www.420sa.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=644.0;attach=3193;image

I bought Coco Compact Potting Soil from www.hydroponic.co.za  It already has nutrients added so all you have to do is add normal tap water.

My orphan plant was transferred nearly a month ago into it and there is no indication that my plant is lacking ANY nutrients. :rastabanana  It's most probably my healthiest of all my plants.:poke

I thought I would share the information of the manufacturer of CCPS: Van Der Knaap Compact Coco Potting Soil is fertilised coco potting soil which comes in compact block bags. When water is added, the contents of the bag expand and are transformed into ready-to-use potting soil. The potting soil contains a carefully selected blend of nutrients which last for several months. Source: http://www.vanderknaap.eu/en/products-retail/1321608761/Compact-Coco-Potting-Soil

@syk0t1k Check out this link http://www.420sa.co.za/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=644.0;attach=3193;image I bought Coco Compact Potting Soil from www.hydroponic.co.za It already has nutrients added so all you have to do is add normal tap water. My orphan plant was transferred nearly a month ago into it and there is no indication that my plant is lacking ANY nutrients. :rastabanana It's most probably my healthiest of all my plants.:poke

Thanks for that! I buy all my supplies from them! I was planning on getting some of this:

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/promix-organic/

But if you say the coco compact potting soil is the way to go, ill give it a try. Would it be sufficient for the plants entire life cycle?