Hardening of clones

GGG

Hi fellow members , was wondering what methods you use to harden of clones after they have rooted , do you put in medium and then back in dome for instance.

Interested to see what different methods is being used.

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

@GGG

what's up brother, hope all is well your side

I believe the most important part of taking clones is the health of the mother plant aswell as where you take the cuts from the plant. with these two points, hardening off is out of the question. 

IMO, regarding your question, best thing for hardening off once rooted is to not pamper them like babies.

my method is, pour a cup of RO water,

take my cuts and take off any leaves and branches that would be taken off anyway. this exposes pathways for the plant to uptake water quicker than straight through the branch. just leave two fan leaves at top and one axillary bud atleast if not the apical meristem. once cutting is clean, cut a new fresh cut at base and make sure you cut through another axillary bud or 1mm below.

as soon as fresh cut is made drop in RO water,

let sit for 12hrs, this is harding off,

then you got 12hrs to prep what you gona put them in. I prefer rockwool, soaked in RO aswell. 

after 12hrs I simply take the cuts and carefully slide them in their individual cubes and place them in my humidity dome. 99% rh and completely closed for atleast 24hrs. sometimes I like to let my whole dome sit in some water for the first 24hrs. then I start to gradually take the water away, slightly opening my dome little by little every day letting RH out. by day 7 you should be at 50% RH (everyday you should lift the dome atleast once for complete FAE and get rid of the water that has collected at the bottom and spray the dome with new fresh water)

remember, the plant has no immune system and can't fend for itself for shit, so first sign of mold or any of that shit can hinder the rest of that plants life. there are wounds the pathogens and bacteria can enter, so keep it RO water. your plant doesn't need ANY form of nutrient during this time. 

day 6/7 you should have roots. when I see a root, I plant straight into ff premium classic and they go into my tent and I treat them like normal plants.

no wasted time, money or effort. 

95 - 100% success, no products used. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

with all that said, going back to the first statement, if you take cuts from a mom that's in bad health or you cut a weak spindly little branch you can have all the above in check, still won't get roots. 

Tip - the lower on the plant you take a cut the more auxins will be available in the cut as it is a hormone associated with plant body development and having it come from the lower part of the plant there will be more "root developing properties" to those hormones. 

So not always the tops and top branches that make the best cuttings. 

• Like 1

*Hardening off is the acclimatization of rooted cuttings/seedlings prior to putting the plants into the growing environment... 

You just slowly expose the rooted cuts to the new environment conditions over a X many days. Simple example is taking the lid off the humidity dome. 

Edited by Adansonia digitata
  • Like 2

I believe he asked for a method, not what it means, mr. google search.

"hardening off" can happen post root, but have you heard of a cutting loosing it's viability because you make 20 cuts and by the time you done the last one the first ones cut dried out already? 

so by placing them directly into water when the cut is still fresh allowing them to not dry out is more important in the "hardening off" process, because you won't even get to the point of having roots if you let the cuts dry out, which a quick first google search will not tell you.

@GGG
I believe the most important part of taking clones is the health of the mother plant aswell as where you take the cuts from the plant. with these two points, hardening off is out of the question. 
IMO, regarding your question, best thing for hardening off once rooted is to not pamper them like babies.
take my cuts and take off any leaves and branches that would be taken off anyway. this exposes pathways for the plant to uptake water quicker than straight through the branch. just leave two fan leaves at top and one axillary bud atleast if not the apical meristem. once cutting is clean, cut a new fresh cut at base and make sure you cut through another axillary bud or 1mm below.
then you got 12hrs to prep what you gona put them in. I prefer rockwool, soaked in RO aswell. 
after 12hrs I simply take the cuts and carefully slide them in their individual cubes and place them in my humidity dome. 99% rh and completely closed for atleast 24hrs. sometimes I like to let my whole dome sit in some water for the first 24hrs. then I start to gradually take the water away, slightly opening my dome little by little every day letting RH out. by day 7 you should be at 50% RH (everyday you should lift the dome atleast once for complete FAE and get rid of the water that has collected at the bottom and spray the dome with new fresh water)
remember, the plant has no immune system and can't fend for itself for shit, so first sign of mold or any of that shit can hinder the rest of that plants life. there are wounds the pathogens and bacteria can enter, so keep it RO water. your plant doesn't need ANY form of nutrient during this time. 
day 6/7 you should have roots. when I see a root, I plant straight into ff premium classic and they go into my tent and I treat them like normal plants.

Cool thx , I do simular in that timeframe but was wondering from rooted to transplant .
I would take rooted cutting and then plant in a solo cup and then let them sit in dome for a few days and just leave the breathing holes open and misting a few times

2 minutes ago, GGG said:

Cool thx , I do simular in that timeframe but was wondering from rooted to transplant .
I would take rooted cutting and then plant in a solo cup and then let them sit in dome for a few days and just leave the breathing holes open and misting a few times

I would say no dome once in solo cup, 

young plants actually do benefit from more moisture in the air, but you also don't wana risk any chance of PM, so atleast below 60% RH from when planted into solo cup with good airflow. 

but also keep above 30% RH, just for the benefit of the plant 

🤙

• Like 1

Once they show roots, at about 7-10days ( coco, solo cup, clone dome with leds) 

Start by gradually exposing them to 'final home' conditions. 

Outdoor, I'll expose them to sun/weather by placing them in a shady spot for a few hours, then extending/increasing the exposure time over the course of a week. Still in solo cup, feed some AACT and light nutes. Then they get transplanted/up potted to soil with some myco. Wait for new positive growth and carry on as usual.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

"hardening off" can happen post root, but have you heard of a cutting loosing it's viability because you make 20 cuts and by the time you done the last one the first ones cut dried out already? 

so by placing them directly into water when the cut is still fresh allowing them to not dry out is more important in the "hardening off" process, because you won't even get to the point of having roots if you let the cuts dry out, which a quick first google search will not tell you.

Whatever yo... Don't stray to far off on that tangent. 

• Haha 1

I keep things simple, do not have time to baby plants.

Cuttings go into water for a few hours, then into the jiffies / plugs and into the clone dome which sits inside the veg tent. Due to the other plants in the veg tent, the RH is often reasonable and not too low. Based on the RH in the tent, will determine whether I have the airflow adjustment on the clone dome fully closed or a little open. Once I start to see some root being pushed or if the humidity builds up in the dome too much then I will open the airflow holes fully.

Once there are roots, I pot up the clones and they go into the veg tent - no further acclimation from my side once they've been potted up. I have not had issues doing this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I also prefer the no dome once planted,

once you put soil or any microbes, bacteria or pathogens (living stuff) in a dome with constant high RH and low FAE you basically creating a orgy zone for diseases. 

not to say if you keep your hand on it and start maybe spraying some fungicide and pestecide you may be able to achieve success, but I wouldn't risk it and who wants to spray stuff that will make the inside of your dome dirty then you gotta wash it or light gets blocked and you could possibly harm the younglings by spraying them with stuff that early. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

3 hours ago, Adansonia digitata said:

You just slowly expose the rooted cuts to the new environment conditions over a X many days. Simple example is taking the lid off the humidity dome. 

OOOOPS. 

• Haha 1

Once the roots show outside the jiffy.. directly into a 3 liter pot with FF Premium Classic.. just water for a week, then they get the first feeding. No dome.. i treat them like plants just out of germination.

As long as the medium is not to hot, you should have zero issues. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Adansonia digitata said:

OOOOPS. 

oh so now you are giving a method he can use? 

well then I would say that is a shit method and wouldn't suggest that to anyone.

if it where an example, like you stated in the very post I could understand, but now you say he must just go yank off the lid? 

please don't advise that to anyone,

the concept of acclimatize is much broader than just "taking the lid off"

19 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

oh so now you are giving a method he can use? 

well then I would say that is a shit method and wouldn't suggest that to anyone. 

if it where an example, like you stated in the very post I could understand, but now you say he must just go yank off the lid?

please don't advise that to anyone,

the concept of acclimatize is much broader than just "taking the lid off"

LOL! You're adorable. That was in the post from the word go. Honestly I think you missed what the OP was actually asking.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@GGG

Lets reread you opinion to see how badly you understood the question.... 

OP asks about hardening off rooted clones.

You go off sharing some drivel about taking cuttings and and and, completely missing the point. Learn from this guy. He even reads your questions correctly. 

Thanks for the chat. 

Edited by Adansonia digitata
  • Haha 1

After I see roots I keep them in the dome for another day or 2.  I then plant them in small 10cm pots with freedom farm classic no dome. 

Every now and then ill have one that wilts in that case I just add a dome and give it a spray in 2 days or so I remove the dome.