Led light power supply shorted

Stefan

One of my lights shorted at the power supply. 

I tried putting a different power supply in it and it works but the metal pieces is damaged. Is it possible to to replace that power block.

could load shedding have caused this? 

E868A113-C56D-4534-88FE-1DE99B84977D.jpeg

955E92A2-68C3-4B72-BC26-4242B7417067.jpeg

Hi @Stefan

unfortunately, loadshedding likely had nothing to do with this.

this is the result of what is called a hot joint/connection, and is caused by the cable not fitting correctly or snuggly enough into the plug.

basically, the pin that burnt was juuuuuuuuuust touching its female counterpart, which causes a small amount of resistance. the resistance makes the join or connection hot, and the heat can cause additional resistance, which can lead to this.

you are very lucky man... this is exactly how most home fires start.

i use the computer cables all over my grow and go around and touch them regularly to identify if i have any hot joints so i can sort it out.

with these its ease to resolve, you just bend the pins open a little bit more which makes a tighter fit... in your case though... you will need to replace the connection block on the light, as well as the cable.

check with the manufacturer to see if they can help you out

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, CreX said:

Hi @Stefan

unfortunately, loadshedding likely had nothing to do with this.

this is the result of what is called a hot joint/connection, and is caused by the cable not fitting correctly or snuggly enough into the plug.

basically, the pin that burnt was juuuuuuuuuust touching its female counterpart, which causes a small amount of resistance. the resistance makes the join or connection hot, and the heat can cause additional resistance, which can lead to this.

you are very lucky man... this is exactly how most home fires start.

i use the computer cables all over my grow and go around and touch them regularly to identify if i have any hot joints so i can sort it out.

with these its ease to resolve, you just bend the pins open a little bit more which makes a tighter fit... in your case though... you will need to replace the connection block on the light, as well as the cable.

check with the manufacturer to see if they can help you out

Thanks for the detailed explanation. What do you look for when testing your cables? That buzzing sound? I remember with my old desktop pc that  if not connected properly you get that buzzing sound. 

the light is quite old so think it’s time to replace it but I’ll check at a electrical store to see if they can replace it safely without risking any fire. 

• Like 1

what they could do is remove the connector and join the cable straight... you lose out a bit on the ease of expansion... but wont have this trouble again either.

buzzing sound would mean i have open arcing in the joint.... ultra huge fire hazard... disaster waiting to happen.

normally there is no buzzing, but the join will be hot... sometimes too hot to touch ...where it should not be hot... your cable should remain cool... few degrees at most above room temp if anything

• Thanks 1

You can replace the power socket on the light, it is a IEC socket. They are pretty cheap from RS components and most other electrical places.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=IEC+socket&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Then you can purchase a kettle cord from Takealot or where ever else you can find them, also rather cheap.

Alternatively, connect a cable straight to the light and avoid using the IEC connector. I'd recommend soldering the cable for a proper connection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It might have been caused by tension on the cable, causing the terminals to “arc” and build up heat, melting the plastic. Once the plastic looses shape, as it melts, the terminals can move apart to the point where the distance is too far for the power to arc and it just breaks contact.
If you are buying a new IEC (Kettle Plug cable) you can get really long ones, like two meters or more. You can also make one up with components from a radio shop.
Some pro audio equipment makes use of “Powercon” connectors which twist and click so they can’t pull out (just some useless info)
f6ec6c7a698ba03d1ad48b682c92d39c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dookie69 said:

It might have been caused by tension on the cable, causing the terminals to “arc” and build up heat, melting the plastic. Once the plastic looses shape, as it melts, the terminals can move apart to the point where the distance is too far for the power to arc and it just breaks contact.
If you are buying a new IEC (Kettle Plug cable) you can get really long ones, like two meters or more. You can also make one up with components from a radio shop.
Some pro audio equipment makes use of “Powercon” connectors which twist and click so they can’t pull out (just some useless info)
f6ec6c7a698ba03d1ad48b682c92d39c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dookie. Such a great idea, so even if there is tension they look like they lock so preventing it from loosening? 

Edit: saw @PsyCLownanswered my question in his comment. 

thanks everyone, will really save me a few bucks knowing I can easily fix the light

Edited by Stefan

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 12:11 PM, Stefan said:

One of my lights shorted at the power supply. 

I tried putting a different power supply in it and it works but the metal pieces is damaged. Is it possible to to replace that power block.

could load shedding have caused this? 

E868A113-C56D-4534-88FE-1DE99B84977D.jpeg

955E92A2-68C3-4B72-BC26-4242B7417067.jpeg

🤯

I will shit myself!!

I like what was suggested, and if I may, here's my solution for wires that have loose connections s-l1000.thumb.jpg.96a8e06ff0147f3ac790cfe8bbdc8ada.jpg

with the screw over part being the most important here you get them in plastic too, to pull the connections in place and hold them there. all different shapes and sizes. 

8 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

🤯

I will shit myself!!

I like what was suggested, and if I may, here's my solution for wires that have loose connections s-l1000.thumb.jpg.96a8e06ff0147f3ac790cfe8bbdc8ada.jpg

with the screw over part being the most important here you get them in plastic too, to pull the connections in place and hold them there. all different shapes and sizes. 

That looks a great suggestion, I went ahead and replaced with an identical part to its original part😅 was simple and easy to replace.  

made sure the power is long and not tugging on the power block and check the connection regularly to prevent that from happening again