Cloning a single mother to fill up a tent, cons?

Orcanic

Howzit guys

So I have x3 Dutch Passion Charlottes Angel CBD fem seeds that I want to grow next, but I want to carry on doing multiple SOG grows, but these beans are so damn expensive.

Are there any cons to growing out a single mother plant and then getting as many clones as possible to then fill up the tent and my SOG? I haven't really heard of anyone doing it for that purpose, so made me think that maybe there are a few cons?

Please let me know what you think

• Like 1

there are no cons... only pros

you will need to take at least double the amount of cuttings you think you will need, so that at least the amount you need will A) Root, and B be uniform

some may be very eager growers, and some not so eager ones, choose the good growers and toss the rest, and then you will have a ultra uniform grow from a single source cultivar

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Cons are the extra gear you need and need the space for it too. The mother plant will always need 18/6 light. You can keep them in your veg tent, bit to much light for a mother tent, but works. And you need a seperate flower tent to flower the clones. Best work 3 tents for a cloning setup. Mother, veg and flower tent.

Then i would pheno hunt the seeds first, you should pheno hunt with regular seeds, not feminized. Anything changing the genetics is not welcomed when you hunt. 

Running a mother tent, you could calculate the Eskom cost each month to buy seeds. So is cloning cheaper... i wouldnt say so and makes only sense, if you pheno hunt your strains to keep... otherwise.. i would stick to seeds... grow them when you want.

• Agree 1

Are you looking to preserve the donor/mother plant? If not, and you flower her outside. Your most important task will be to make sure your clone selection for the tent is on point. This is where I failed with my recent SOG grown.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orcanic said:

@Prom @Adansonia digitata

Yeah so I was thinking of giving the mother to a mate to flower outdoors and keeping the clones for myself, as that way I'll only need one tent.

But when I am able to expand I'll pheno hunt and use multiple tents, that's the goal

Okay cool man. I'm about to harvest my 1st SOG. 

Things I have learned. 

• Clone selection is vital. 
  • Pot size is a debatable subject. I used 4.5ltr nursery bags, but I feel you can probably get away with half that size, but this means more frequent irrigation/fertigation.   
  • For a SOG more is always more, but it comes with its difficulties. Fertigation/irrigation gets difficult to do by hand when there are loads of pots. FAE needs to be dialed in perfectly, loads of plants are going to do wild things with the RH. 
  • Watch the plants like a hawk in the first 3 weeks, I dropped the ball and 1 of the 16 split and grew two growing points which kept her short while the others got tall. 
  • Clone selection is vital!!!!! 
  • a week or slightly more veg time before flip would probably have increased the yield, most resources say that vegging them will end with to much plant material for the space. 
  • Did I mention selecting the right clones is vital? 

Overall, SOG was a super fun cultivation method.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adansonia digitata said:

Okay cool man. I'm about to harvest my 1st SOG. 

Things I have learned. 

• Clone selection is vital. 
  • Pot size is a debatable subject. I used 4.5ltr nursery bags, but I feel you can probably get away with half that size, but this means more frequent irrigation/fertigation.   
  • For a SOG more is always more, but it comes with its difficulties. Fertigation/irrigation gets difficult to do by hand when there are loads of pots. FAE needs to be dialed in perfectly, loads of plants are going to do wild things with the RH. 
  • Watch the plants like a hawk in the first 3 weeks, I dropped the ball and 1 of the 16 split and grew two growing points which kept her short while the others got tall. 
  • Clone selection is vital!!!!! 
  • a week or slightly more veg time before flip would probably have increased the yield, most resources say that vegging them will end with to much plant material for the space. 
  • Did I mention selecting the right clones is vital? 

Overall, SOG was a super fun cultivation method.    

Appreciate it man thanks a lot

Clone selection isn't that important, right?😂

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Orcanic said:

Appreciate it man thanks a lot

Clone selection isn't that important, right?😂

You want to try get the best pheno, ideally. Although if you are happy with a lucky packet each time and variances, then not essential.

Even with feminized seeds, there is still pheno variation and one needs to find that keeper pheno(s).

The best way to grow, in my opinion, is to grow with cuttings of specific phenos. That way you know exactly what you are getting and are able to achieve consistent results (more or less, there is often still variables with feeding and climate / environment etc.)

If you wanted to pheno hunt, you'd need to label them in a unique way (even with numbers is fine), take cuttings and label the cuttings, flower out the plants and see which ones you want to keep and then just continue with those.

For example, maybe #3 and #5 are the best from all your seeds, then you could kill the other cuttings and just keep #3 and #5 and grow those two out.

• Thanks 1

due to the grow behavior of clones, you need to LST or HST each plant or harvest will not be good.

Cloning hassle only makes sense with pheno hunted strains... keep what you like, dump the rest. Otherwise, seeds you can go to vacation.. mother tent needs attention.

• Like 1

You shouldn't need to to any training when using the SOG cultivation method. The point is to have more plants producing a single main cola each. I guess you could top the clones, let them recover for a few days and then flip.   

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Prom said:

due to the grow behavior of clones, you need to LST or HST each plant or harvest will not be good.

Cloning hassle only makes sense with pheno hunted strains... keep what you like, dump the rest. Otherwise, seeds you can go to vacation.. mother tent needs attention.

My number 1 goal is to get more yield per seed, so surely 9 clones at the end of flower would harvest more than 1 plant from seed?

• Like 1

Harvest in total more, yes.. but time you used to get to that harvest is a lot longer. Raising the mother, then take 9 clones and finish those clones.. takes a few weeks on top of the seed grown plant.

If you want to increase harvest, learn the strain you want to grow on regular interval. It isn't to difficult to reach over 2g/watt even with LED lights. You just need to learn what the plants like and what they hate. If you do not care about phenos, get Regular seeds, make your own seeds, feminize them.. and drop 9 each time to fill your tent. That is the fastest way to produce loads with one tent.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Prom said:

Harvest in total more, yes.. but time you used to get to that harvest is a lot longer. Raising the mother, then take 9 clones and finish those clones.. takes a few weeks on top of the seed grown plant.

If you want to increase harvest, learn the strain you want to grow on regular interval. It isn't to difficult to reach over 2g/watt even with LED lights. You just need to learn what the plants like and what they hate. If you do not care about phenos, get Regular seeds, make your own seeds, feminize them.. and drop 9 each time to fill your tent. That is the fastest way to produce loads with one tent.

fastest to the next harvest yes...but not at all faster and more efficient than using cuttings... sure...the initial work will take longer... but subsequent harvests will be much much faster... first harvest may take 6 months to get to... but thereafter you are set up to do a harvest every 2.5 months

16 hours ago, Orcanic said:

My number 1 goal is to get more yield per seed, so surely 9 clones at the end of flower would harvest more than 1 plant from seed?

when you say 9 clones at the end of flower, do you mean to only take cuttings at  the end of flower? because that will cost you months of work with revegging and training effort. take cuttings before the plants go into flower, not during

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, CreX said:

when you say 9 clones at the end of flower, do you mean to only take cuttings at  the end of flower? because that will cost you months of work with revegging and training effort. take cuttings before the plants go into flower, not during

I meant to say when the clones themselves have finished flowering, will take cuts from the mother plants during veg:-thumbsup

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, CreX said:

fastest to the next harvest yes...but not at all faster and more efficient than using cuttings... sure...the initial work will take longer... but subsequent harvests will be much much faster... first harvest may take 6 months to get to... but thereafter you are set up to do a harvest every 2.5 months

I understand that he wants more weed per seed.. ergo.. he drops a seed, raises the plant, turns her into 9 cuttings and veges them again to put later into flower. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prom said:

Ahh okay I understand what you're saying. My thing is just that I can't afford to start with 9 seeds when using high CBD strains like these at over R300 per seed with a chance of some not germinating well. So that extra few weeks would be worth it for me. But yeah when I find a strain I like I'll get a bunch of regulars and pheno hunt, etc. Thanks

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 8:53 AM, Orcanic said:

so I was thinking of giving the mother to a mate to flower outdoors and keeping the clones for myself, as that way I'll only need one tent.

Say I didn't do this and wanted to keep the mother in my one tent with the clones.. would it be worth it/safe to reveg her and take more cuttings for the next one? or just pop another seed and grow out another mother?

You can plant a seed , let it grow/veg till required size , take cuttings and pop her into flowering tent. But if possible keep space in the flowering tent with a 12/12 light cycle. Then when clones is the right size you keep one in veg room under 18/6 light cycle and put the other in the space left in flowering tent . Then when mother in flower is in flower for 6 weeks you take cuttings from the clone again or use her if she is big by then and make more clones to use when the others are finished flowering and you keep doing that. You don't have to keep the original plant from seed as a mother , clones taken can be used as mother's aswell

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GGG said:

You can plant a seed , let it grow/veg till required size , take cuttings and pop her into flowering tent. But if possible keep space in the flowering tent with a 12/12 light cycle. Then when clones is the right size you keep one in veg room under 18/6 light cycle and put the other in the space left in flowering tent . Then when mother in flower is in flower for 6 weeks you take cuttings from the clone again or use her if she is big by then and make more clones to use when the others are finished flowering and you keep doing that. You don't have to keep the original plant from seed as a mother , clones taken can be used as mother's aswell

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

Ah right I forgot about taking clones from the clones.. but my issue is that I only have space for one tent until I move

Unless I can find a tiny tent to veg the mom (like 50x50x50cm lol)

Edited by Orcanic

A perpetual grow with dedicated veg and flower, then using cuttings will always be the quickest way to get multiple harvests and has the potential to lead to the biggest harvests per tent as you are running the exact same plant again - so if its a plant which yields well it should be consistently yielding well.

Growing from seed will open you up to the lucky packet of phenos and variances, so yield may not always be the same.

I prefer working with cuttings as opposed to seeds, by the time the seed has grown to the size of a rooted cutting, it's about the same period of time (if not more) than it would to have taken the cutting and had it root. It is possible for a cutting to provide a larger plant in a shorter period of time but this would vary a bit as well.

Make a DIY grow area to keep a mother for now, take cuttings, root them and grow them out. 

• Like 3

So.. this escalated quickly lol.

I bought a second tent, Mars Hydro 60x60x140cm. This will be for the mother.

Then I'll take clones and veg them a bit in my main tent then flip to flower. Not sure if I should lollipop yet or not but I'll get to that when the time comes.

Then for now while I'm still looking for a strain that's perfect for me I'll give the mother to a mate so he can flower it and then I'll start growing the mother for the next strain I want to try out.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

@Adansonia digitata @Prom @CreX @PsyCLown @GGG @Twix Aphen

• Like 5
  • Haha 1