New growth yellow and shrivelled looking

StonerZN

Hey dudes. Do me a favour if you can... what's going on with this plant? Think I see the same beginning to happen to another plant.

Bit stumped.

All growth points yellowing from inside to out and looking droopy/shrivelled up.

6302d0db6cf0ed26cf2c7bcd2d9d5878.jpg

726733000a6a7e79aca7faab949fec58.jpg

233f4ba632764c2ef44db8f2cfa31a1d.jpg

Doesnt seem to be overwatering, soil pretty dry a finger down.

Could it be a burn? Haven't fed too much, sticking to 2ml fishmix for the moment.

Medium is a little recycled FF plus mixed with some soil from the garden(we have real good shit) and a little growing medium from our local nursery.

All was going well until a few days back, suddenly plant looking bleak.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, StonerZN said:

Hey dudes. Do me a favour if you can... what's going on with this plant? Think I see the same beginning to happen to another plant.

Bit stumped.

All growth points yellowing from inside to out and looking droopy/shrivelled up.

6302d0db6cf0ed26cf2c7bcd2d9d5878.jpg

726733000a6a7e79aca7faab949fec58.jpg

233f4ba632764c2ef44db8f2cfa31a1d.jpg

Doesnt seem to be overwatering, soil pretty dry a finger down.

Could it be a burn? Haven't fed too much, sticking to 2ml fishmix for the moment.

Medium is a little recycled FF plus mixed with some soil from the garden(we have real good shit) and a little growing medium from our local nursery.

All was going well until a few days back, suddenly plant looking bleak.

Looks to be sulphur, Maybe a healthy dose of Epsom salts.

• Agree 1

im thinking more along the lines of iron def maybe...but thats very strange for garden soil to be low in iron...

then it had me stumped because i like to google my symptoms...and if i were to trust ol goods... you should be burying your plant right now because of almost every problem under the sun.

and that to me means a few things could be happening 

im not sure about the pic you showed us, but that dark soil looks moist AF, wet even, like clay... might need to be a bit looser

which moves me to think there is something wrong with your roots - if you pull the pot off the plant, do you have white healthy roots? or not so happy roots?

the ph could be whack...but you will need a real meter to test that

If the soil comes from your compost heap.. is to hot to add 2ml fish mix. 

The soil looks not really to wet.. but what I see is the wet version.. not the dry version, correct? If that is your dry version.. go more dry before you feed.

If you can exclude overwatering, then I would say that is a N burn. Let 60 liters of clear water run through that pot.. raise it, so the water can easy exit.. then get as much water out of the pot, the fast lifting game ^^ and let it rest and dry up. No Fish-Mix at all.. first feed after the flush I would go 1ml Grow.. bring some sugar to the micro organisms and no need to go heavy on N right away again. If the plants new growth is getting better in color, give another 1ml Grow, then swap back to 1ml Fish Mix. If you compare Fish Mix to Seagro.. that is like comparing a Battle Tank with a kiddy toy pistol.  😁

I would go heavy overwatering with what I see... but you have to exclude that. Or is a combo.. the plants went into lockout and you went on feeding the normal way.. what will result in overwatering issues to the nutrition issue.

Correct sir. Watered yesterday so is still pretty moist because it has been very cold here hasn't dried nearly as quickly as normal.
Soil is not from compost as such... just dug out the bank I'm gonna be levelling off one day, small hole visible in pic
2acce90d429b09865d7677e0679600b4.jpg

Ok... so... repotted this morning.
Gave the 22l pot 1.5l water when done, mixed in teaspoon Epsom salts and 1g Iron Chelate I'm case of iron or sulphur shortages.

Will lay off the watering and the fish mix for the rest of week and let the pot dry out fully again... if I haven't seen improvement by then I think the 60l flush may be the answer. Will try get a friend with a ph meter over to measure the runoff perhaps.

Dudes, you are legends! Appreciate you all very much

• Like 2

i must just note that the hole where you got the soil from... is kinda barren and devoid of plant life.

i am not so sure that the soil is actually good.

if you must use garden soil, you should source it from the best growing plants or shrubs in your garden, as that soil is proving itself... 

the soil you have may be contaminated with heavy metals that could be causing your troubles

• Like 1

Just now, CreX said:

i must just note that the hole where you got the soil from... is kinda barren and devoid of plant life.

if you must use garden soil, you should source it from the best growing plants or shrubs in your garden, as that soil is proving itself... 

the soil you have may be contaminated with heavy metals that could be causing your troubles

i would go with the 60l flush

• Agree 1

If you let the plant to long in the hot mix, she will suffer more. If you can exclude overwatering, flush it asap.

Forgot... add more perlite to your soil mix, at least 20% more. Helps airing the roots.

Edited by Prom
Forgot
  • Agree 1

Haha shot yeah. The barrenness is due to clearing all the stuff that used to live there. Needed to see underneath the plants to see how much clearing we could do.
Anything and everything planted on that bank loves life to the max ordinarily...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prom said:

If you let the plant to long in the hot mix, she will suffer more. If you can exclude overwatering, flush it asap.

Forgot... add more perlite to your soil mix, at least 20% more. Helps airing the roots.

i actually found out that Perlite doesnt actually assist much with drainage\aeration per se... but what it does assist with bigtime is lowering the Perched water table  in the pot.

the perched water table is the level of water in your pot when it is saturated fully. Capillary action pulls water up into the pot while gravity pushes water down into the pot. where these two forces equalize, is called the perched water table of the medium.

straight coco can have the potential of a high perched water table due to the small particles of coco which are attracted to water. adding perlite with its generally larger particles creates surfaces which are resistant to capillary action, thus lowering the upward force, creating a lower perched water table.

• Like 1