Dirty Hands Elemental Blend

I usally mix my own soils to good effect but Ive been getting  lazy in recent years, one of the reasons why I moved away from synthetics and into organics for its laid back style. However amending each ingredient can also take alot of time which I'm looking to cut out by using dirty hands elemental blend. Now altho it has everything I usally mix I don't know the ratios they use, I did experiment with it before but mid way through flower my plant started to turn yellow, I would say the reason was due to top dressing too late. My question is how long does the Elemental blend last for example in a 20L or 30L before you need to reamend to be able to push through flower? 

Edited by Marzcanna

Have done grows in both methods of the Elemental Blend (30ml/L of used soil and 1L/10L of inert medium Coco/perlite/Spagnum peat moss ) and to great success , but have to add that I mixed in some worm castings also at 1L /25L mix . Also used the CMC (weekly) and Bio Phos ( in flower) with that

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thats one of the reasons I like mixing my own, I can adjust the amendments to suit. 

If they dont state what and how much is in the soil to start with, you going to have hard time. Only other way is to keep a close on your plants and what they tell you.

• Agree 2

Just now, Bos said:

Thats one of the reasons I like mixing my own, I can adjust the amendments to suit. 

If they dont state what and how much is in the soil to start with, you going to have hard time. Only other way is to keep a close on your plants and what they tell you.

Ya i'm not too fond of this Elemental blend, I have not used it but I have used all the ingredients, and it would definitely pack a punch and not in the right time of most parts of the plants life, even vegging, maaaabyyy using miniscule amounts but it has Alfalfa, Kelpmeal and seabird guano. haaat haatttt sure a bit of Compost/EWC. This would never be a feasible option in my mind. 

Reamending does come with a looooot of work however, much research and know how. But even then you are still punching in the Dark. I mean you know what you've added, and you know what the plant is telling you. And that's the best you can do.

A well know forum grower on overgrow I think it was (watched a youtube FCP video) preaches low amendment and top dress strategies, He makes like a base, and then add Rockdust, and will topdress everything he needs along the way. You really need to know what you doing in this case. Im definitely thinking a minimilistic approach is best.

But Shit is different everywhere, for example Coot... He would laugh at the use of dolomite. He say, as he would, for those mangnesium hungry plants or whatever.

In my mind, first thing to go is Magnesium, and an eyeball to that statement. But I suppose i'm not using Coots worm castings. 

• Agree 1

Haha, I get you.

Mg and Ca I've had issues with, adjusted my amendments on new batches and problem went away-easy. Re-amending old soil, I go in at 50%.

There are just sooo many different soils on the market, each with different mixes and amendments. There cant be just one(singular) re-amendment solution??? Thats a lot of variables.

Unless you have the soils tested every time before planting and after harvesting and re-amend accordingly. But not every strain uses or feeds the same either....

I dont think there is a singular solution amendment wise, thats why a knowledgable and experienced grower who can read and react to the requirments of the plant is the best combination to mitigate the risks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ORGANinc. said:

Ya i'm not too fond of this Elemental blend, I have not used it but I have used all the ingredients, and it would definitely pack a punch and not in the right time of most parts of the plants life, even vegging, maaaabyyy using miniscule amounts but it has Alfalfa, Kelpmeal and seabird guano. haaat haatttt sure a bit of Compost/EWC. This would never be a feasible option in my mind. 

Reamending does come with a looooot of work however, much research and know how. But even then you are still punching in the Dark. I mean you know what you've added, and you know what the plant is telling you. And that's the best you can do.

A well know forum grower on overgrow I think it was (watched a youtube FCP video) preaches low amendment and top dress strategies, He makes like a base, and then add Rockdust, and will topdress everything he needs along the way. You really need to know what you doing in this case. Im definitely thinking a minimilistic approach is best.

But Shit is different everywhere, for example Coot... He would laugh at the use of dolomite. He say, as he would, for those mangnesium hungry plants or whatever.

In my mind, first thing to go is Magnesium, and an eyeball to that statement. But I suppose i'm not using Coots worm castings. 

Agreed. That's where mixing your own soil comes with huge benefits, you know exactly the amounts of what you put in the soil and with trial and error you can eventually have a soil that will in most cases will push through flowering. Knowing what the plants are needing is key in organics thats why I do not advise new growers to try organics, with synthetics its easier to fix with flushing and also plants react faster to synthetics, with organics if something does go wrong, we looking at removing the plant from the medium rather than flushing in most cases, and trying to fix things can take up to a few days so it's important to try get things dial in from the start. I don't want to discard elemental blend from the topic, I do believe it can get the job done if you tweek it abit, from my only run with it last time I would diffinatly add abit more nitrogen around 4 weeks, possibly bone meal or more worm castings, in my situation my plant wasnt getting enough nitrogen during flower and diffinatly wasn't potassium, @GGGadds more castings which leads me to believe that maybe the blend could do with a better nitrogen source . Still I did get a decent harvest, not perfect but as I said if you know what you doing and tweak it abit you can have a good product

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 2

Well, this was a rollercoaster ride of decision making for me hahahah

so here's what I concluded

I will be using the elemental blend to reamend about 90 - 100L of ff green bag for the 2021-22 outdoor season. Will be adding worm castings.

if I look at the ingredients of the soil and buy them individually I am gona pay the same amount as just buying that amount of fresh new soil. reason is cause I can't buy per gram, so have to grab a whole bag in cases where I just need half or whatever. 

so it's a no brainer from here, if I don't try the elemental blend with worm castings, I will just grab fresh green bags 

🤘 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

Well, this was a rollercoaster ride of decision making for me hahahah

so here's what I concluded

I will be using the elemental blend to reamend about 90 - 100L of ff green bag for the 2021-22 outdoor season. Will be adding worm castings.

if I look at the ingredients of the soil and buy them individually I am gona pay the same amount as just buying that amount of fresh new soil. reason is cause I can't buy per gram, so have to grab a whole bag in cases where I just need half or whatever. 

so it's a no brainer from here, if I don't try the elemental blend with worm castings, I will just grab fresh green bags 

🤘

Ya bud, that seems to be your best bet I reckon, the green bag doesn’t have much in it, so you can bank on having an almost clean slate, and mixing that with an in proportion amendment mix would be similar to mixing it with a soil base. So I’m sure that will work to your benefit 👍🏻 Keep us updated with the results 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

Ya bud, that seems to be your best bet I reckon, the green bag doesn’t have much in it, so you can bank on having an almost clean slate, and mixing that with an in proportion amendment mix would be similar to mixing it with a soil base. So I’m sure that will work to your benefit 👍🏻 Keep us updated with the results 

will do brodie 

:-greenthumb

• Like 1

I also make use of the elemental blend and try not to overdo the re-amending used soil as you can always add later if too weak. I’ve noticed the Blend is quite strong/hot so easy to stunt plants.

If you decide to make use of it, I’d recommend have the full dose 10-30ml/l of soil with a top layer of the used ff with 30% worm castings only to allow the roots to establish themselves and work there way into the rich blend. 

that worked for me perfectly(added coco as well to the top layer but that was indoor pots and not necessary for you) and only fed nutrients once a week.

to add: I’m also looking to amending my own soil as I can add specific amendments should issues arise whereas the elemental blend you adding a bit of everything and the plants may not necessarily need a bit of everything. 

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stefan said:

I also make use of the elemental blend and try not to overdo the re-amending used soil as you can always add later if too weak. I’ve noticed the Blend is quite strong/hot so easy to stunt plants.

If you decide to make use of it, I’d recommend have the full dose 10-30ml/l of soil with a top layer of the used ff with 30% worm castings only to allow the roots to establish themselves and work there way into the rich blend. 

that worked for me perfectly(added coco as well to the top layer but that was indoor pots and not necessary for you) and only fed nutrients once a week.

to add: I’m also looking to amending my own soil as I can add specific amendments should issues arise whereas the elemental blend you adding a bit of everything and the plants may not necessarily need a bit of everything. 

Do you plant seed in to that mix or transplant? 

12 minutes ago, Marzcanna said:

Do you plant seed in to that mix or transplant? 

Yeah I plant seeds directly into the light mix after germinated through paper towel method. However, next time I’ll germinate the seeds in jiffy plugs and place them into my pots.

I’ve tried placing rooted clones directly into elemental blend mix and it also struggles so made myself a light mix(used equal parts ‘used’ orgasoilux, buffered coco, worm castings and 10% perlite) and use it for clones and seed germination.

I haven’t attempted transplanting yet as I mainly grow autos, but have a few clones that will need transplanting. Probably will transplant directly into the rich mix with a bit of myco fungi. 

• Like 2

See the issue with OrgaSoilux, that my partner and I changed in our mix, if i may...

Also not a knock at OrgaSoilux either, 

But we have found no matter the source of Guano, you going to get differences that you cant account for, and this can or could be the reason for some bags being hotter than others, and some plants not liking their lives.

You cant dictate the birds or bats diet, unless you feed them yourself.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

See the issue with OrgaSoilux, that my partner and I changed in our mix, if i may...

But we have found no matter the source of Guano, you going to get differences that you cant account for, and this can or could be the reason for some bags being hotter than others, and some plants not liking their lives.

Ya that’s the only thing with high nitrogen inputs, either you’ll be using up all the available nitrogen before it becomes a problem, or you could pump microbes enough not to displace the tied up nitrates, but then anything you add after that including microbes will off set that and boom free nitrates again. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

They do state if purchasing the seabird guano, it’s high in nitrogen. But after much thought around these types of amendments, Guanos in general should be considered high in nitrogen always 

• Like 2

This might be slightly off topic but since we are talking about elemental blends and organics, we can't ignore the importance of MICROBES aswel, so what do you guys think of Biodyne? And specifically adding it to your teas? Is it maybe over kill? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I stopped brewing teas, might get into it again. I always try inoculate some microbes every week or two straight into the soil. I have seen the differece, although I cannot say which product works best. 

I got some biodyne at the moment. have used explogrow and various mycorrhizae products. 

I’m eager to kick up the brewer again and bubble some barley curry 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣 just gotta make sure its hot, not hot hot 🤣🤣🤣

but ya I am using biodyne, and a have used a few  microbes inoculation products, they say the mycorrhiza is the best ROI in agri feed programs. Biodyne works okay, better outside in the garden than in a amended mix I suspect. But can’t say for certain. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

I’m eager to kick up the brewer again and bubble some barley curry 🤷🏼‍♂️🤣 just gotta make sure its hot, not hot hot 🤣🤣🤣

but ya I am using biodyne, and a have used a few  microbes inoculation products, they say the mycorrhiza is the best ROI in agri feed programs. Biodyne works okay, better outside in the garden than in a amended mix I suspect. But can’t say for certain. 

Spicy but just not too spicy😅

have you tried the Cannabis microbial consortium from Jamie’s Garden? would like to know how it compares to biodyne and other microbial innoculants.

88C27CE6-3D50-40BC-A586-4C74B3DB9723.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Spicy but just not too spicy😅

have you tried the Cannabis microbial consortium from Jamie’s Garden? would like to know how it compares to biodyne and other microbial innoculants.

88C27CE6-3D50-40BC-A586-4C74B3DB9723.png

Never used it but heard it’s great. 

• Like 2

Spicy but just not too spicy

88C27CE6-3D50-40BC-A586-4C74B3DB9723.thumb.png.61683cc137371f924aeca2042c2b87a4.png
CMC works great , I have used up a few 5L and I also use the FF Probiotics

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Im currently using biodyne, used to use  it with oxygenated water (all my water is oxygenated) but now I ll throw some of it into my teas while brewing. Can't say I see much of a difference between using biodyne or just brewing teas. Some of you seemed to like cmc, might look into it, umyas moss blend is anther option I've seen around 

Edited by Marzcanna