Silica / Organic / Synthetic (Discussion)

The_StonedTrooper

Question

10 answers to this question

I started with an international product called "Silica Blast" and than after doing some research and gathering some homemade recipes and tweaking it I moved away from the product. At the time I was hugely into coco and synthetics (hydro style) so I would mix silica in water and let it set for about 2 hrs with no added chemicals except for phing solution (no base nutes or anything else added) I would feed it once a week with no issues. Stems became stronger and "bendy" which allowed me to LST even to some "extreme" angles, which also helped me to avoid "Topping" and focuss more on LST and Supercropping. Yields did increase but I can't say it a direct effect of silica or more likely the ability to train the plant more effectively 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Hey Fam,

@ORGANinc. @iGrowDagga @Marzcanna @Ill_Evan

As the title suggests, a debate on silicon used in either method of growing. 

Do you use it, why, and how do you use it?

Have you found it to work, hamper or cause more issues?

Which form of it do you use if so and why?

Thank you

I do use silica, off the top of my head,  Basalt, and barley would be a substantial part of my input, then Diatoms I used to add in the beginning, and have since stopped as I feel it may inhibit microbial activity if over used, similiar situation with the neem... However the two are known for creating a overall healthier rhizoshpere due to its ability to keep pathogens in check.

Works well in both forms.

I've recently added more than the usual basalt into my mix and happy with the results. Dou you use it... not a question, its quite an essential element, but only one of the many many pieces of the puzzle.

Edited by ORGANinc.
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ORGANinc. said:

I do use silica, off the top of my head,  Basalt, and barley would be a substantial part of my input, then Diatoms I used to add in the beginning, and have since stopped as I feel it may inhibit microbial activity if over used, similiar situation with the neem... However the two are known for creating a overall healthier rhizoshpere due to its ability to keep pathogens in check.

Works well in both forms.

I've recently added more than the usual basalt into my mix and happy with the results. Dou you use it... not a question, its quite an essential element, but only one of the many many pieces of the puzzle.

I guess if you growing organic than basalt and barley would be the best options and there wouldn't be a need to supplement anymore silica. I will add a little bit more basalt in my next mix 

Edited by Marzcanna
  • Like 1

It's been my 2nd year using liquid silica in my outdoor autopots. I'm using the silica plus from hydroponic.co.za at 20ml/150l

Pros:

Far fewer bugs. I had a few locusts, but they didnt do any noticable damage, so I left them. I didnt have to use any insecticides.

Slightly faster growth, probably because I was also able to use slightly higher nutrient levels without burning them.

The plants can handle the wind better & can bend more before breaking. Helpful if you're doing a scrog. Previous years I've had plants snapped in half.

Cons:

Silica can come out of solution. I've had clogged valves a few times. I'll switch to the bigger valves for next year's run.

PH testing is critical & using PH up is a big nono, it will cause the silica to drop out immediately & you get the dreaded white cloud.

It helps against mildew & mold, but only up until mid flower when the plant is maybe weaker.

Just my 2c. I'm still relatively new to using silica. The Bay11 I grew last year had huge tight nugs. That could have been several factors, but the previous grow had severe mildew & molding the buds. I lost 90% of that one...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've just started using it, 8ml in 23 liters (6 gal).

Yoh it brings the ph way up, normally I use 1 drop of PH down (after nutes) to bring the PH to 6.0 but now I need 4-5 drops to bring down to 5.8 or so.

I've only done 3 feeds at half strength so far and full strength will start tomorrow.

Will hopefully update in a week or two and see if I notice some results.

• Like 1

@Jimmy-z What do you use to drop the PH if not PH down?

Do you find mixing the silicone first, then nutes then adjusting PH helped at all?
Ph down is fine. Ph up will cause the silica to precipitate out.

I mix about 20ml of silica with 3ml of ph down in a 10l bucket, that gives me a ph of roughly 6.5. That goes into a 150l reservoir & if needed I adjust the ph in the reservoir. I monitor the ppm & ph in the reservoir every few days & adjust when necessary.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So what type of Silica is everyone using?

Potassium Silicate (K2SiO3) seems to be the most common, I suspect due to pricing.

However I believe Silicic acid / Orthosilicic acid ( Si(OH)4 ) is perhaps a beter form to be feeding to ones plants.

• Agree 1