S33dFr33k

S33dFr33k

On 6/13/2021 at 7:26 PM, Bos said:

Calmag and Epsom reacts and precipitates out when mixed. 

Just a question, not knocking. 

Why would you mix Epsom salts, with CalMag? Since the latter is a mix of the 2, you already have Magnesium in the Calcium mix.

Though I agree with your comment of them causing precipitation, there seems to be some missing information and a good discussion possibly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, S33dFr33k said:

thanks for the info guys. I flushed today with plain water. 

I looked over the thread, you havent got a issue at the moment, the plant is actually happy, and you have already fixed the issue with the Magnesium Sulfate.

The plant is happy in my eyes, and you not going to see a full turn of health, due to the old spots on old leaves being done and will not recover. 

Your new growth is great and will improve, so stay away from changes now and dont fix anything. 

Trooper 🙏

3 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Why would you mix Epsom salts, with CalMag? Since the latter is a mix of the 2, you already have Magnesium in the Calcium mix.

Though I agree with your comment of them causing precipitation, there seems to be some missing information and a good discussion possibly. 

i have a dislike for the granule calmag mixes... they are mixed not mixed in a 1:1 ratio more like a 5:3 ratio, but using the scoop to measure out always leads to the incorrect ratio of calmag. that's why i prefer the liquid calmag... but it is a lot pricier than the granules. or even a hybrid approach where the calcuim nitrate is separate from the magnesium sulphate and you can add them separately or together in the correct ratios which is 2:1, two parts calcuim nitrate, one part magnesium sulphate 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CreX said:

i have a dislike for the granule calmag mixes... they are mixed not mixed in a 1:1 ratio more like a 5:3 ratio, but using the scoop to measure out always leads to the incorrect ratio of calmag. that's why i prefer the liquid calmag... but it is a lot pricier than the granules. or even a hybrid approach where the calcuim nitrate is separate from the magnesium sulphate and you can add them separately or together in the correct ratios which is 2:1, two parts calcuim nitrate, one part magnesium sulphate 

Yes🙌

Added, having to be careful using the nitrate too, as it will need a reduced N in the nutrients schedule when being used.

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
Added

On 6/13/2021 at 7:26 PM, Bos said:

Calmag and Epsom reacts and precipitates out when mixed. 

Calcium and sulphur fall out of suspension when you mix them. The white precipitate is gypsum.

21 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Cal mag is mixture of calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate. There's no Epsom salts in calmag.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

Just a tidbit of info for the OP, dont mix the two, 'shotgun' remedies may do more harm than good. Years back I was a noob and made that mistake, so speak from personal experience. 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 3:28 PM, S33dFr33k said:

Hey me easy crew! Got a bit of strange thing happening here. Leaves going light green towards to outer leaf and dark on the inner leaf. 

Last feed was only CalMag and Epson in ph6 water. 

Any ideas? 

I'm thinking root zone, maybe too warm from the heat matt? 

IMG-20210613-WA0016.jpeg

IMG-20210613-WA0018.jpeg

Nitrogen toxicity.

21 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

to be totally honest....n00b mistake. I just didn't know. I've only been doing this for a year and half so still learning and kinda just following advice from all over the place. Growing cannabis was my lock down hobby which has got me hooked.

My other grow mates say give CalMag with every feed and then Epsom does such wonders, so I added it. I should just stick to my old routine of giving Epsom with plain pHed water twice a week. So as @Bos said. more of a shotgun remedy to try get things to move on quicker.

But you are spot on. All three plants are doing great at the moment, actually thriving and I've seen a good push in size. Will post pics later, its night time in the tent currently.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CreX said:

interesting leaf deficiency.

what are you feeding them and how much?

I'm feeding them Budding Genius range. Currently feeding the following in veg:

Phytogrow: derived from marine extracts, fish hydrolysate, kelp and bees wax. 2.5ml-1l

Set The Stage: organic acids, earthworm exudate, natural occurring nitrogen, micro nutrients, Auxins, cytokines, chitinase. Potassium and phosphorus. 5ml-1l

Cannamag: Calcium and Magnesium. 1.5ml-1l

Gold Brix: derived from amino acids, sugar cane molasses, natural extracts containing Auxins and carbon. 2ml-1l

Take Up: derived from fine mined leonardite, natural extracts, potassium, phosphorus. 2.5ml-1l

I mix it all in 4l of filtered water and set the PH to 6.

Im only watering when the medium is dry on the top and bags feel light. 

IMG_20210624_073539.jpg

Seems your method isnt the fault in the mix.

i actually tried to find addition info about the problem you have...and it was really hard!!! i think you have a few problems tho... 

1) the yellowing of the lower leaves like that... the closest i can find is a zinc deficiency

2) but zinc deficiency alone doesn't make sense, the very dark inners of the leaves potentially indicate a nitrogen toxicity

3) and the only other thing it could be is a deficiency in potassium , but i don't see the usual spotting on the leaves.

zinc is a tough one to identify because many other elements in an imbalance can cause a zinc lockout. zinc starts off at the bottom of the plant and works its way up, so using new growth may not be a good way to judge plant health in this case.

has has the problem gone? is it spreading or getting worse, or do you think you have made it through whatever bad vibes you going through?

another thing is do you shake your bottles before you use them? the nutrients will loosely separate if left undisturbed and you may find you are not getting a smooth ratio of nutes per dose

• Like 1

I'd often get that same yellowing, and as soon as I would add Epsom salts, it would get better, but as you see above, the damage is done and not going to fully recover on the old leaves. 

It almost like balances the nutrients and let's the roots take up better, 

Is very weird as you say @CreXand I dont understand it fully myself, but as above, that seems to help, or remedy. 

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CreX said:

Seems your method isnt the fault in the mix.

i actually tried to find addition info about the problem you have...and it was really hard!!! i think you have a few problems tho... 

1) the yellowing of the lower leaves like that... the closest i can find is a zinc deficiency

2) but zinc deficiency alone doesn't make sense, the very dark inners of the leaves potentially indicate a nitrogen toxicity

3) and the only other thing it could be is a deficiency in potassium , but i don't see the usual spotting on the leaves.

zinc is a tough one to identify because many other elements in an imbalance can cause a zinc lockout. zinc starts off at the bottom of the plant and works its way up, so using new growth may not be a good way to judge plant health in this case.

has has the problem gone? is it spreading or getting worse, or do you think you have made it through whatever bad vibes you going through?

another thing is do you shake your bottles before you use them? the nutrients will loosely separate if left undisturbed and you may find you are not getting a smooth ratio of nutes per dose

It's definitely not getting worse. I think it caused some damage and now we're moving on. 

Yip, I do shake the nutrient bottles up before the feed. 

Here's some pics from today without the light on. 

IMG_20210624_155542.jpg

IMG_20210624_155552.jpg

• Like 4

• 420SA pinned this topic
  • 420SA unpinned this topic