Sweet strains the trend or the norm?

Weskush

Howzit guys. Why is there no girls on this forum? Anyways...

After a couple of grows, i'm kinda getting over the sweet smelling strains. Don't get me wrong. Still appreciating the sweet aroma of Blueberry or the flowery Chronic smell.

Is the sweet strains becoming more of a trend or has it been the norm all along..?🍬🍭🍰🍦

Cheese is probably the closest that i could find that is "not as sweet". 🧀 Except of course for the old school strains like Swazi, Transkei, DP, Skunk etc.

Any other strains that could be recommended?

• Like 2

There is a few girls on the forum.. For me, thus far in my journey, I would say Zurple Punch. It's a sweet smell but not the sweet I am used to and it has a nice taste. It seems to coat the inside of your mouth with a layer of who knows what.. Can not really explain it.. But it lingers for some time. I will definately grow it again to explore it more.. Completely different from anything else I have had the pleasure to puff on..👌👍🌱

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

You just want to see how many there are of us on here right?😝

Nah just plain 'ol curiosity...I always feel like i'm excluding the ladies when saying "Howzit guys" and also hate saying "Howzit guys/girls". Maybe i should just say "Howzit" haha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So, legend would have it...

Skunk, being what you're after, for that less sweet smell and taste. Though more smell than taste, due to cannabis having that taste naturally. 

Now the issue is, and not the first time I say this too. The peeps back in the day, when growing became so illegal that the guys started growing indoors, and because of this, wanted strains they could grow that didnt signal to the neighbors, I'm growing here. And also wanted to grow the popular strains, skunk and such, that the breeders would breed for the indoor grow market, and in doing so, searched for the strains in their hunt, that didnt smell and shout out, here is the cannabis over here.

So you'll battle to find now, unless you hunt for those old stock seeds.

Thinking of it now, I have seeds from the late 80's that are from the TK and have seen some wicked stuff come from them when grown out.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

So, legend would have it...

Skunk, being what you're after, for that less sweet smell and taste. Though more smell than taste, due to cannabis having that taste naturally. 

Now the issue is, and not the first time I say this too. The peeps back in the day, when growing became so illegal that the guys started growing indoors, and because of this, wanted strains they could grow that didnt signal to the neighbors, I'm growing here. And also wanted to grow the popular strains, skunk and such, that the breeders would breed for the indoor grow market, and in doing so, searched for the strains in their hunt, that didnt smell and shout out, here is the cannabis over here.

So you'll battle to find now, unless you hunt for those old stock seeds.

Thinking of it now, I have seeds from the late 80's that are from the TK and have seen some wicked stuff come from them when grown out.

Are you saying that the sweet strains were bred to mask the "original" weed odour? The sweet strains still smell lank strong and indistinguishably like weed, so i'm a bit confused with that theory. Meaning it with all respect😁

I noticed a worldwide trend towards sweet and fruity strains and I'm damn curious to find out if this is based on current market demand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The skunk more so for the theory, and what I have understood from my journey into this plant.

The proper skunk, would have been twice as bad and alarming. 

You also noticed a trend, and that is all it is, the names sound cool, for this new generation, and I imagine sales are good with catchy names and inviting smells. 

That's why so many guys are looking for the old school genetics, the true stuff, the untouched goods.

If that wasn't the case, then why is it so?

Edited by The_StonedTrooper
  • Like 2

Well understandable with the skunk odour indeed.

This is not just catchy strain names. There is a definite gravitation towards the desserty type strains and the fruity strains. Zkittles, Fat Banana, Gelato etc. are all among the most popular strains at the moment. I don't see Black Pepper or Hot Chilli anywhere? Maybe in the future we will have our own Biltong strain... Who knows...

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

I've seen a few old guys overseas saying that they searched for the feno that didnt have that smell and giveaway. Mostly on talks and so on, but the strains grown today are done so for the demand of public and market.

I've found and this is me, that I am moving away from the Swazi and other land races or less smelly plants.. I'm now all out going for the smell and taste.. The better the terpene profile, smellier that is, the better.. I prefer the taste and smell above a hard hitter.. Don't get me wrong, some of the following kick Swazi ass..😁

My prefered strains for 2022 and I'll probably stick with them for a while, is Elvis, Bubblicious, Hermanus, Chockolope x NL, Chockolate Gelato, Bubbleberry Glue,Tortoni, Gelato, Zurple Punch and LGO.. The rest of the year will be spent on finding some more to add to that Line Up. I enjoy variety and a day and night time smoke.. The sweetest and this is real sweet smelling must be Totemic's Chockolope X NL..

:-peace

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nibiru said:

Red Mandarin - Strain I have smoked that not only smelled way different but tasted very similar to how it smelled. Sweet, Spice , hard to explain. 

I gave @CreX some fast photo seeds of red mandarin... curious what he will report 😃

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nibiru said:

Red Mandarin - Strain I have smoked that not only smelled way different but tasted very similar to how it smelled. Sweet, Spice , hard to explain. 

Sounds delicious 😋

27 minutes ago, Prom said:

I gave @CreX some fast photo seeds of red mandarin... curious what he will report 😃

I'm curious too now, he will need to report back and share.

2 hours ago, Bay Seeds said:

I smoked some Garlic Mist recently. Game changer. It was so different and delicious. 

My cross GSCxJH, according to my one close friend, the few that I've grown out so far, 15 or so, all had a garlic smell to them.

He keeps referring back to them, and saying that he misses them, and finding that he has put, the milk in the cupboard, and the Pronutro in the fridge (which is what he usually did when smoking them) and he called them Girl Horror, although they had been HERER.

• Haha 1

Just now, CreX said:

i have 4 in 1st week of flower - i have taken cuts from each and will see who is the winner... im looking for red flowers - a nice sweet smoke will be double bonus!

If you able to take clones and dont mind shipping, I'd be interested in a clone at some stage. Like the idea of something different and spice reminds me of gsc to a degree, some feno types.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_StonedTrooper said:

If you able to take clones and dont mind shipping, I'd be interested in a clone at some stage. Like the idea of something different and spice reminds me of gsc to a degree, some feno types.

for sure man! i dont mind at all... let me flower them out and choose the best pheno, hopefully something red and smelly!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Weskush said:

Maybe in the future we will have our own Biltong strain...

hahahah a biltong strain this is what a proper weskush ou will say hahah I love it, just don't know if I would smoke it hey

but now my mouth is watering for some of that yellow fat biltong!

actually came across a local strain called "mac burger" recently. lol! not a bad smoke

anyone on here familiar with Natures Farmacy??

I never know when a strain has been grown properly or when it's different phenos. so might have smoked the same strain couple times and only enjoyed it once or other way around. that's why I like to try everything twice hahah or 10 times depending on situation obviously not even once if it looks and smells like horse shit. 

got to smoke some gorilla glue a while back, looked 100% like the strain. but even the jar had no smell, grind the bud up and you get a fucking wierd burnt food kinda smell. you smoke it and you get hit in the chest so damn hard you have to run outside for fresh air, your lungs feel like there's an elephant sitting on your chest and your nose starts running and shit. feels like a too biiiig dab and the taste aswell, like fucking strong extracts. but it was just a bud..... 

now if I could have that everytime I would, but I don't even know who grew it and that's obviously all of our first questions "who the fuck grew this"

wish I could get my hands on that cut, but I probably wouldn't even get it to turn out like that. still would like to try hahah

:-stoned

• Like 1

I've found and this is me, that I am moving away from the Swazi and other land races or less smelly plants.. I'm now all out going for the smell and taste.. The better the terpene profile, smellier that is, the better.. I prefer the taste and smell above a hard hitter.. Don't get me wrong, some of the following kick Swazi ass..
 My prefered strains for 2022 and I'll probably stick with them for a while, is Elvis, Bubblicious, Hermanus, Chockolope x NL, Chockolate Gelato, Bubbleberry Glue,Tortoni, Gelato, Zurple Punch and LGO.. The rest of the year will be spent on finding some more to add to that Line Up. I enjoy variety and a day and night time smoke.. The sweetest and this is real sweet smelling must be Totemic's Chockolope X NL..
:-peace
Where did you get the Elvis from? Ive heard of it for a couple of years now but could never find it, not even bud to smoke.

A buddy of myne got hold of a cut and had a few grows with it. He did not really enjoy it and switched to Bubblicious.. I really enjoyed it and it was awesome to make rosin from as it yields awesomely.. He is currently soursing a cut again. I'm waiting in antisipation.. I got hand outs from him and made rosin for him from it.. Never grew one myself.. At the same time he grew some Black Domina.. Also a strain I will add to my line up. Good yielder for rosin and the texture is completely different from other strains.. Exodus Cheese also makes excelent rosin but a bad yielder..

• Like 2